re:death record in messina province

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

re:death record in messina province

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 27 Oct 2014, 20:03

searching for a death record for francesco landino(b.1851 in palermo) in or near barcellona pozzo di gotto.it appears he was the common law husband of maria bonarrigo(b.1847 in soccorso gualtieri sicamino).they had at least 3 natural children.salvatore 1872,rosalia 1877,and mattia 1880.all born in barcellona.salvatore's birth states the parents as married,mattia's birth states francesco as whereabouts unknown,and rosalia's birth states no marriage"non coniugale".maria was my paternal grandmothers(maria costante b.1883 in barcellona)wetnurse,and presented her to the civil officer as being born ignoti genitori-but i believe there was a blood relationship there,as maria took my grandmother to boston in 1902 to live with son salvatore,who had immigrated in 1893.but maria died 10 days later.according to her boston death record,husband francesco survived her.but thats questionable.first,it doesnt appear francesco ever left siciy,as theres nothing remotely close to his name in any passenger records.the information in boston could have been a typo.it appears odd that francesco wouldn't have come to america at least once to visit son salvatore,either when he resided in boston ca.1902,or later when he left boston for new york after 1902.my guess is that he died before 1902 in the vicinity of barcellona.i checked barcellona death ca.1880-1902 and found nothing.he did not die in the usa.and he did not die in his native palermo.i checked that out that leaves the messina area in the vicinity of barcellona.now the guess is-where did he die?any suggestions as to how to proceed would be appreciated.

TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

Re: re:death record in messina province

Postby TonyDiNobile » 27 Oct 2014, 21:20

I came across the following : This record list Maria as "Maria Bonarrigo Landino" , I'm thinking that since it's a U.S. record and shows her as a Landino that she must of married ,"Frank Landino" in the U.S. - It's possible as you mention that Francesco and Maria could have been Common Law in Sicily prior to coming to America ....I will look for a death record .
------------------------------------

Name: Maria Bonarrigo Landino

Event Type: Death
Event Date: 12 Jun 1902
Event Place: Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Residence Place: Massachusetts
Address: 78 Decatur St.
Marital Status: Married

Birthplace: Italy
Birth Year (Estimated): 1848
Burial Place: Malden
Cemetery: Holy Cross
Father's Name: Domenico Bonarrigo

Father's Birthplace: Italy

Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Frank Landino
Reference ID: v 531 cn 5056
GS Film number: 2057763
Frame Number:
Digital Folder Number: 4289823
Image Number: 300
Citing this Record:
"Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915," index and images, <i>FamilySearch</i> (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NWXY-M62 : accessed 27 Oct 2014), Frank Landino in entry for Maria Bonarrigo Landino, 12 Jun 1902; citing Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, v 531 cn 5056, State Archives, Boston; FHL microfilm 2057763.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Re: re:death record in messina province

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 27 Oct 2014, 21:28

yes.thats the death record i mentioned for maria(bonarrigo)landino wife of frank(francesco).in italy she would have only gone by her maiden name-not landino.i have that record.but as i said,i believe francesco died in sicily-most likely prior to 1902 and the arrival of maria his wife.definitely not in the usa.most likely in or near barcellona.i checked the lds digitized records online.they only go up to 1910 or so.if he died after that it wouldnt be found in the films.civil offices will check a few years here or there,but not as many as it could be,if,say,he lived to be 90 or so,which could be as late as the 1940s.i checked all years from 1880(birth of last know child mattia)up to 1910.so its 1 of 2 possibilities:he died before 1902 but in another comune-or after 1902(and possibly much later as he was only 51 in 1902)in barcellona or still another comune in the area.see the dilema? francesco and maria never married,according to the birth record of their daughter rosalia,born in barcellona ion 1877.if they had married,it would have been,most likely,in barcellona,as all their children were born there.maria was only in boston for 10 days before she died.francesco never came here.as i said,they evidently lived common law in barcellona.for whatever reason they never married,in sicily or the usa.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”