Adopted grandmother, surname Febbraio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
futo_ngbo

Adopted grandmother, surname Febbraio

Postby futo_ngbo » 29 Oct 2014, 02:05

Trying to find my grandmother's birth parents. She was an orphan, possibly in an orphanage in Locri.

The family that adopted her lived in Grotteria, Calabria. Her maiden name is Anna Febbraio.

I requested a copy of her birth certificate some years ago hoping it would list her birth parents but it didn't.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Adopted grandmother, surname Febbraio

Postby PeterTimber » 29 Oct 2014, 04:51

Perhaps reading about adoption in Italy might help you. Go to the top of this page where it says ARTICLES and it discusses tracing the Italian genealogy of adopted persons. Knowing more about the subject may help you in someway ascertain if its possible for you to obtain adoption records.

Peter
~Peter~

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 29 Oct 2014, 08:59

Hi!
Was Febbraio the surname that is written on her birth certificate or the name of the family who adopted her? Febbraio is the kind of invented surname that in nineteenth century was given to foundlings. If so her birth certificate would read " genitori ignoti" unknown parents. If you have the full copy of her Atto di nascita you can know the name of the person who presented her to the officer of the comune but not much else. When and where was she born?
Ciao
paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 29 Oct 2014, 13:41

Post the birth record for us to see

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

futo_ngbo

Postby futo_ngbo » 29 Oct 2014, 19:44

My grandmother was born on Feb. 11th 1927. I suspect the last name was given to her because of the month she was born in. My grandfather mentioned that my grandmother was born in Bruzzano Zeffirio, Calabria. I need to take a look through my files to find her birth certificate copy.

futo_ngbo

Postby futo_ngbo » 30 Oct 2014, 01:38

I have attached the birth certificate copy that I received in the mail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 30 Oct 2014, 08:01

You have an "estratto per riassunto" of her birth record, you should ask for an "estratto per copia integrale" to solve the mystery.
In any case it is very likely that the surname February was given because she was born in February.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 30 Oct 2014, 16:14

Just an FYI - the record states that she was born in Motticella, which is a hamlet of Bruzzano Zeffirio, RC

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/calabr ... cella.html

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48681494

http://maps.apocalx.net/municipalities- ... cella.html

However, you would still write to the Comune of Bruzzano Zeffirio to record requests :-)

T.

futo_ngbo

Postby futo_ngbo » 31 Oct 2014, 02:52

Thanks everyone! I will draft a letter and request the estratto per copia integrale. I'll let you know what I get back :)

futo_ngbo

Postby futo_ngbo » 04 Nov 2015, 06:11

So it's been a year and I haven't received anything back. I'm going to send the same letter again this week.

How long should I wait before sending another letter after I send this one? Is it normal to not hear back after a year?

My grandmother passed away this May. Would that have any kind of negative impact on my request?

Thank you,
Alyssa

Return to “Italian Genealogy”