Searching for Vanzago/Montini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Alicia

Searching for Vanzago/Montini

Post by Alicia »

Hello everyone~

My name is Alicia Brommer and I have been doing family history research over the past few years. I have made it to my grandfather's side of the family and I am currently stuck. I am looking for any help or guidance as to where to go from here.

My grandfather's grandparents came to the United States. Up until very recently, we didn't even know where they came from. The earliest records that I have found have been old census records from around 1890 or 1900. Both of his grandparents list their country of origin as Italy. However, I haven't been able to locate any documents about how or where they entered the United States. I also haven't been able to find any records on the Italy side.

Here's the information that I have been able to find:

Peter Joseph Vanzago - Born 31 March 1846, Italy Died 22 April 1900, Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
Johanna Frances Montini - Born 24 January 1859, Italy Died 21 November 1952, Fort Calhoun, NE, USA - She remarried a man with the last name of Ewing after Peter's death. I don't know if Peter and Johanna were married before or after they came to the United States. I also don't have a date of entry into the United States.

If there are any records that would tell me about their parents or the rest of their families, I would greatly appreciate guidance in finding them.

Any information that any one has would be greatly appreciated. I have been able to find the Montini last name in records, but I haven't been able to tie anything to Johanna.

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Alicia Brommer
anaber01@hotmail.com
Louisville, NE USA
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Vanzago/Montini

Post by PippoM »

If this is the family of their son, 1940 census states Giovanna was born in Switzerland:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 73-3919-50

If it's her, maybe she was from the Canton Ticino, the italian language area of Switzerland, close to Lombardia.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I also found this travel of a Mr. Vanzaga, travelling from Italy to New York in 1882, whose age might be compatible with your ancestor:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1849782

What is interesting is that he was probably travelling wioth a mr. Agazoni (2nd line in the page), and we find an Agazoni of compatible age in Omaha in 1920:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCKS-727

So, it's POSSIBLE that this Vanzaga (incorrect spelling) might be the one you're looking for.

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Vanzago is very rare surname, according to Italian White Pages (Vanzaghi is less uncommon).
In Italian WP, there are only three occurrences of Vanzago, two of which in the province of Novara.
And Agazzoni (with a double "z") is present only in that province.