Marsitto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bhalle

Marsitto

Postby bhalle » 04 Nov 2014, 06:19

I am looking for information on a family with the last name Marsitto. I believe they might have ben from (still live in) Petrella. Joseph and Giuseppe immigrated to the United States in the early part on the 1900's. They are family on my wifes side, and I I am doing preliminary research for a possible trip. Any info is great. Thank you

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Marsitto

Postby Anizio » 04 Nov 2014, 06:29

By Petrella you mean....

Petrella Guidi - frazione di Sant'Agata Feltria, provincia di Rimini?
Petrella Liri - frazione di Cappadocia, provincia dell'Aquila?
Petrella Massana - frazione di Sestino, provincia di Arezzo?
Petrella Salto - comune, provincia di Rieti?
Petrella Tifernina - comune, provincia di Campobasso?

Also I can't find the name in any Italian source so the actual name may have been slightly different in Italy.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

bhalle

Postby bhalle » 04 Nov 2014, 07:08

Tks. I will look at the last name again!

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 04 Nov 2014, 07:12

bhalle wrote:Tks. I will look at the last name again!

The last name, if it is different, will easily be found by searching through the registries in the towns.

Whats more important is knowing what you mean by Petrella
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 04 Nov 2014, 08:58

bhalle wrote:I am looking for information on a family with the last name Marsitto. I believe they might have ben from (still live in) Petrella. Joseph and Giuseppe immigrated to the United States in the early part on the 1900's. They are family on my wifes side, and I I am doing preliminary research for a possible trip. Any info is great. Thank you

Hi there

Welcome to the forum.

Does this sound like it might be your wife's family: Giuseppe (Joseph) Marsitto, age 28, Labourer, from Petrella Tifernina, Campobasso, travelling with wife Nicolangela Delisio, destination Pitzburg. (December 1919).
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

If it does sound like them there are currently records available for Petrella Tifernina at this site:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Tifernina/

Just get back to us and confirm either way and we can help you look for their birth and possibly marriage records etc.

Angela :)

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 04 Nov 2014, 10:11

Just wanted to make a correction/addition to my previous post here: This Giuseppe Marsitto was not travelling with his wife. It just lists her as next of kin. Also I think that the arrival year was 1910 not 1920? He was going to visit his brotherinlaw (Di Lisco? - probably should have read Delisio).
Angela

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 04 Nov 2014, 14:18

Pennsylvania, U.S. Naturalization Originals, 1795-1930 for Giuseppe Marsitto arrived 1920 born in Petrella Tifernina, Campobasso wife is Angela going to Pittsburg PA
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31311_134486-01198.jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Giuseppe Marzito

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 04 Nov 2014, 21:14

I think this may be Giuseppe's birth record. The spelling of the name must have got changed. I couldn't understand why I couldn't find Giuseppe's birth record earlier amongst the Petrella Tifernina birth records and that is why I questioned the arrival year and especially as there was an overstrike. I have found the following in Part II of the Campobasso nati records. Maybe someone else can translate as I need to go out shortly. Thank you in advance.

Possible Birth Record No 21 – Giuseppe Marzito:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Born 3 March 1891?
Side Note: Marries Angela Maria Di Lisio in Petrella Tifernina.

Angela

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Marzitto

Postby Anizio » 04 Nov 2014, 21:34

If that birth record is his, then it is what I suspected - the name is Marzitto, not Marsitto.
Married Angela Di Lisio.

If these are the right people, these names are likely to be correct. Immigration records for the US often misspell names (some dispute this, but this is just 2 more examples) which is why it is always important to double check them in the town of origin.

I'm having trouble reading it, because I just woke up, but I'm getting the impression Marzitto is not a real name - that it is a made up one assigned to him and that he may have been an orphan?

"I order the child handed over to Maria Nicola d'Amico, wife of Angelo Michele Valente." -- well this is a quick end to a genealogical line, but you can still search the Di Lisio line.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 04 Nov 2014, 21:48

Notation in Margin under name
On 29 May 1909 he married Angela Maria Di Lisio in Petrella Tifernina

Birth #21
Dated 3 March 1891 at 11 Am at the town office
Before the official appeared Gaetana Felicita, age 56, receiver of the abandoned, residing here, to present a male child of a about 3 (days?), with some diapers and without any other signs (items that might later be used to identify the child), who she declared to the official she found at the “wheel of the abandoned” at 10 AM today. (Ruota dei Proietti/wheel of the abandoned)
The child was given the name GIUSEPPE and surname MARZITTO
He was consigned to wetnurse Maria Nicola d’Amico, wife of Angelo Michele Valente a peasant farmer of Petrella Tifernina

T.

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 04 Nov 2014, 22:07

Thank you for doing that Tessa :D

Marriage Record of Giuseppe Marzitto and Angela Maria Di Lisio Index No 6

Just a quick translation as I need to rush and I couldn't resist finding this:

Date of record: 29 May 1909

Angela Maria, 17 (1892), farmer, born Petrella and resident in same town, daughter of Nicola Maria Di Lisio and Annantonia Ferrara? Both resident in Petrella.

Giuseppe was 18, parents unknown.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html

Angela

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 05 Nov 2014, 00:21

Birth of Angela Maria di Lisio
INDEX#53
1891 July 8th in the town of Petrella birth of Angela Maria di Lisio daughter of Nicola Maria di Lisio age 37 farmer and his wife Annamaria Ferrante sidenote says married Giuseppe Marzitto 29 May 1909
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

bhalle

Postby bhalle » 05 Nov 2014, 00:33

Thanks! Quick replies- yes to Giuseppe. My wife is not in the know as I am planning a trip. All I do know is that her grandfather was named Carl, and I believe his dad to be Joseph and his uncle to be Giuseppe that you mention. Campabasso has been mentioned by my wife as well. I am going to look further, and re-log back on when I can. Thank you again, this is a GREAT help!

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 05 Nov 2014, 01:39

bhalle wrote:Thanks! Quick replies- yes to Giuseppe. My wife is not in the know as I am planning a trip. All I do know is that her grandfather was named Carl, and I believe his dad to be Joseph and his uncle to be Giuseppe that you mention. Campabasso has been mentioned by my wife as well. I am going to look further, and re-log back on when I can. Thank you again, this is a GREAT help!

Are you sure?

Joseph and Giuseppe are the same name, and there is only one record of someone coming over. Further more Joseph is not an Italian name.

Sounds more like the 2 people you are looking for are the same 1. Giuseppe Americanized into Joseph. An orphan would not have a brother.

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 05 Nov 2014, 05:42

adelfio wrote:Birth of Angela Maria di Lisio
INDEX#53
1891 July 8th in the town of Petrella birth of Angela Maria di Lisio daughter of Nicola Maria di Lisio age 37 farmer and his wife Annantonia Ferrante? sidenote says married Giuseppe Marzitto 29 May 1909
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Annantonia's surname differs from the Marriage Record so there is obviously an error in one of the records. This happens sometimes.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”