Scala/Ranieri (sp?)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Katherine_S

Scala/Ranieri (sp?)

Post by Katherine_S »

Hello,

My father, surname Scala, is from Sora and his mother was a Ranieri. I am looking to do extensive research into both Scala and Ranieri ancestry (though Scala is such a common name that may be a challenge).

I do know that my grandmother's family was wealthy, I believe they were in agriculture or farmland.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Scala/Ranieri (sp?)

Post by adelfio »

Where did the family settle in the US? What were his grandparents names?
Ranieri and Scala are very popular surnames in the Rome area

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Ranieri is a very common surname, so common that it is likely it arose in different places independently.

Sora is very close to Abruzzo, if your Ranieri family traces back to Abruzzo let me know, I have a Ranieri branch in my tree starting starting around 1800 back.

Scala is slightly less common than that, but not by much, and without a doubt is 4 times more common in Campania than anywhere else
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Ancestry.com (http://www.ancientfaces.com) has complete family surname records for both Scala and Ranieri which may complete your research objectives for those surnames in Sora. Peter
~Peter~