Name On Birth Certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PMM
Rookie
Rookie

Name On Birth Certificate

Postby PMM » 13 Nov 2014, 21:53

I recently received a copy of my ggrandmother's birth certificate(computer copy) via email and I it states: Bonello Maria and below the name Maria it says additional names after first Margherita. Would Margherita be her middle name? Her first name? Also the names of her parents are listed as Bonello Angelo and Barbara Poletta di Francesco. I thought Poletta was her maiden name. What would the name di Francesco mean? I'm confused about this.Could Angelo also be Antonio? I have seen the name Antonio on several records I have. Thanks again for your help. :P

PMM

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Name On Birth Certificate

Postby adelfio » 13 Nov 2014, 23:13

Barbara Poletta di Francesco =Barbara Poletta daughter of Francesco Poletta post the birth record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Jean Galata
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Jean Galata » 14 Nov 2014, 17:35

Adelfio is right again! di Francesco means Barbara Poletta is the daughter of Francesco Poletta. Now you can research more relatives by looking up marriage, death, or birth records of Francesco Poletta. You'll find more clues such as her mother's name. If you see "fu" before a name, it will tell you that person was dead at the time the document was written.
Jean

PMM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PMM » 14 Nov 2014, 21:13

The certificate states:

Cognome Bonello

Nome Maria

Ulterior nomi successivi al primo Margherita

Paternita angelo Bonello di anni quarantatare

Maternita Poletto Barbara di Francesco

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Nov 2014, 08:34

The surname is Bonello.
The given name is Maria.
Margherita is an additional given name, if you want to define it a middle name it is up to you. In Italy we do not have middle names.
Father is Angelo Bonello (aged 43)
Mother is Barbara Poletto, daughter of Francesco (Poletto)

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 15 Nov 2014, 10:12

liviomoreno wrote:In Italy we do not have middle names.
Just to clarify, in Italy some people do have more than one name as part of their given name (nome), but they're all grouped together as the given name, which is not further subdivided between "first" and "middle" name. For example, someone might have the given name Francesco Paolo, but we would not say that he has the "middle name" Paolo.

Angelo and Antonio are distinct names and not normally substituted for each other. But some of the records may contain errors or he may have changed his name, or his name may have been, say, Antonio Angelo, and sometimes he used one part and sometimes the other, which was more common in the past when names were more fluid.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”