Information on my great grandfather, Guiseppe Olivadoti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
krissitini

Information on my great grandfather, Guiseppe Olivadoti

Postby krissitini » 18 Nov 2014, 19:02

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here may be related to my family or have any information on my family that came from Cortale in the early 1900s. My great grandfather was Guiseppe Olivadoti, (7 November, 1893- 28 September, 1977) married to Caterina Occhiuto (30 May 1898-28 May, 1962). Caterina also came from Cortale. Guiseppe's father was named Guiseppe and his mother was Maria Todaro. He had a sister, Angila and I understand Maria and Angila stayed in Cortale, not coming to America. Caterina Occhiuto's parents were Antonio Occhiuto and Caterina Valentin (I find the name spelled without an 'o' (Valentino) in 2 documents). They had the children named Ellen, Nancy (Nunziata), and Rosa. There is mention of a Rocco but I am unsure of this.

I have tried to go further back to find out more about Maria Todaro's family and my Olivadoti family. I do know that Guiseppe, Sr. was an officer in the Cavalry of King Humberto, band master and composer. He emigrated to Argentina in the mid 1890s. My great grandfather was also a composer and lived in New Jersey from 1911 (when he arrived to America) to 1914, then moving to Chicago where he taught at the Vandercook School of Music. He passed away in Long Beach, California. Guiseppe and Caterina had 3 children, Raymond, Katherine and Marian.

Any information that could be shared with me would be appreciated.

Thank you! Kristine

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Information on my great grandfather, Guiseppe Olivadoti

Postby Italysearcher » 23 Nov 2014, 10:52

Records for Cortale from 1809-1866 can be found on line at
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
The records you need will have to be obtained directly form the town of Cortale.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 23 Nov 2014, 11:23

The correct spelling is Giuseppe

krissitini

Postby krissitini » 23 Nov 2014, 16:13

Thank you Ann and Livio for the information.

I will see what I find once I find time to go through the records!

Kristine

Mfonsen

Postby Mfonsen » 08 Apr 2015, 06:00

Hi Kristine, I think I may have very little info on part of the family. Sounds like My grandma is the Ellen (Eleena) you mention. All the names you have above match the hand written note book my grandma wrote before passing on. She mentions a Rocky born in 1913 and wrote in 1918 Rocky and Nancy both died. November of the same year Anthony and Catherine died two days apart and were buried November 11,1918 deaths all due to the flu epidemic. Catherine, the oldest daughter took Rosa and Ellen in. Catherine married at 18 and had three children Ray and Marien and Catherine....Hope this helped?? If this sounds right to you too, she did write more info (dates and events) My grandma spelling of her mothers maiden name is Valentino.-Mary

krissitini

Postby krissitini » 08 Apr 2015, 19:23

Hello Mary and thank you for responding. I'm happy to meet you! Any information you have would be very appreciated. As per my message above, I have had a difficult time going further back on this line. I am sending you a private message. Kristine

Return to “Italian Genealogy”