Help - Ruperto Family Genealogy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
caruperto

Help - Ruperto Family Genealogy

Postby caruperto » 25 Nov 2014, 08:01

I'm looking for my grandfather's side of our family. I'd love some help. This is all the info that I have right now. I'm looking for any records, including passenger records. I'm terrible at this!

Ernesto Ruperto - Born April 16, 1926 , Married to Ada Cosenza

Siblings: Maria Rosa (Born Feb 2, 1914 in Campana, Cosenza), Vincenzo, Antonio, Domenico, Saverio, Guiseppe, Angelina

Thanks for the help.

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Help - Ruperto Family Genealogy

Postby carubia » 25 Nov 2014, 10:24

Welcome to the IG website! I just started searching for you, but so far this is all I can come up with:
Name: Ernesto A Ruperto
Birth Date: 18 Apr 1926
Address: 355 Church St, White Plains, NY, 10603-3524 (1984)

Presumably this is your GF. Do you know if your GF and his siblings came to the US with their parents?
Was Maria Rosa the oldest?

The records online for Campana only go up to 1910. The town looks fairly small (<100 births per year) and there are few people with the name Ruperto.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 25 Nov 2014, 10:51

I see a Francesco Salvatore Ruperto born in Campana in 1909, to Vincenzo Ruperto and Giuseppina Grano. The same couple had the only Ruperto child born there in 1897 and 1898, too. I wouldn't expect them to be the parents of children born in 1926, though (not impossible, but very unlikely).

In 1910, the same couple had a child Salvatore. There was also another Salvatore Ruperto (actually, Salvatore Luigi Costantino) born to a younger couple, Francesco Ruperto and Bombina Romita, but the child died the same year.

caruperto

Postby caruperto » 26 Nov 2014, 03:17

Thank you so much for your help! I was able to gather a bit more information.

Francesco Ruperto and Bombina Romita were my grandfather's parents. His maternal grandparents names were Florinda Rosa Romita and Saverio Romito. His maternal great grandparents names were Antonio Romito and Rosa (maiden name Schiarrota SP?) Romito.

My grandfather, Ernesto Ruperto, traveled to the US in 1961 (I can't find this record) and traveled back to get the rest of his family (Wife Ada and sons Francesco and Pasquale) in 1962. They traveled on the Cristoforo Columbo.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 26 Nov 2014, 04:54

He traveled transatlantic by ship in 1861? It will be difficult to find a passenger record for such a recent voyage. Was that the first time he came to the US? What about the rest of his siblings? Did any of them come to the US before 1940?

If not then you'll have a hard time finding info on them in US public records, such as census records. OTOH, Italian records after 1910 are not online and probably not available on microfilm either (although I haven't checked that). Your best bet to locate the birth records of your grandparents and his siblings would be to write to Campana and request them.

However, the marriage record for Francesco and Bombina ia probably online, and from that you'll have their years of birth and parents' names and can go back further.

BTW, in Italy women do not change their surnames when they marry, so a woman will always be known by her maiden name.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 26 Nov 2014, 05:01

Here is the link for records online for Campana:
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043833

Here is a link to order micofilm for Campana records, which can viewed at a Family History Center:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

However, the microfilm only goes up to 1910, and would probably have the same records as those online for the period that overlaps (1870-1910 for births and marriages). There are 10 rolls of film, of which 2 are online.

Here is the person you can contact at Campana for copies of vital records:
http://www.comune.campana.cs.it/index.p ... index&p=55
There is his name, email address, and even photograph.

caruperto

Postby caruperto » 26 Nov 2014, 07:33

Wow. Thank you so much for all the help!

I believe the earliest of his siblings to come to America was Maria Rosa in 1955. I also believe his father came over at one point before returning to Italy. I'm not positive what the year was. My grandfather is a bit fuzzy now...

Return to “Italian Genealogy”