Barzaghi surname/Vaprio d'Adda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
oscarmeyer

Barzaghi surname/Vaprio d'Adda

Postby oscarmeyer » 04 Dec 2014, 17:15

Looking for ANY info on Barzaghi surname
PIETRO BARZAGHI born 1859 ( I believe) in Vaprio d'Adda MI or Milan area
Pietro's father- Giacomo Barzaghi, Vaprio d'Adda MI
Pietro's wife- Maria Barzaghi, died 5 June 1885
Pietro & Maria had two young sons (names unknown) born before 1884 in Vaprio d'Adda MI
Pietro had brothers named Carlo, Stefano, Andrea
Andrea (in the latter 1880's) was a soldier in the 10th regiment of the cavalry
Pietro had brothers-in-law named Francesco Riva and Andrea Manzoti

This is all I know from letters (dated 1886-1890)written by Giacomo Barzaghi in Vaprio d'Adda to his son Pietro in Canada.
I have written to Ufficio Anagrafe di Vaprio d'Adda for a certificato di stato di famiglia but was told I didn't have enough info for them to do a search.
ANY info that you can find on this Barzaghi family or any guidance as to what to try next would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Barzaghi surname/Vaprio d'Adda

Postby Italysearcher » 04 Dec 2014, 18:09

They really don't like doing stato di famiglia for genealogy purposes!

What you need to do is write to the Comune and request birth records for all the children you have names and approx ages for. These records should tell you who and when they married (if it was in Italy) and maybe their death information. Also request the death record for Maria.
Once you have these write again and request a search for the two children born before 1885 whose names you don't have. Depending on the type of indexes they have they may be willing to do this. (Some indexes are just the name of the child, others include the father's name and occasionally the mother's name. Some don't have indexes at all.) Since Milan is so big they may not be able to oblige you.
For Pietro you may have to resort to parish records. I don't know if Milan kept civil records before 1861.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 04 Dec 2014, 18:53

Are you sure they were born in Vaprio? If so you can have luck with your search as Vaprio d'Adda is in fact a smallish Comune
For birth certificates send an email to Anagrafe
Follow the link and click on Settore Demografico
http://www.comune.vapriodadda.mi.it/index.php/uffici
Before 1866 vital records in Lombardy were kept by the parishes. For Pietro birth write to Milan Diocesan Archive and ask for his Baptism record.
archivio@diocesi.milano.it
Ciao
Paola :D
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

oscarmeyer

Postby oscarmeyer » 04 Dec 2014, 19:13

Thank you so much, Ann Tatangelo, and Paola, for all your tips on how to proceed. I will follow up on your advice and hopefully have some success!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”