Giacomo Sorrentino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
richsorr1

Giacomo Sorrentino

Post by richsorr1 »

Hi everyone, I am taking a break from searching Polsinellis and am trying to put some focus into the Sorrentino family.

I am looking for any documentation of my great grandfather Giacomo Sorrentino coming to America between 1899 and 1900

He was born 1870 in Gragnano to Giro and Chelesta (Sanzoni). He has a sister, Immaculata (Carotenuto) and I believe a brother, Enrico.

Attached is what I believe to be his wife and children coming over in 1902.

His wifes name was Felicia, but is listed as Gaetana. On a later ship manifest where Felicia took my great aunts back to Italy she is listed as Gaetana Felicia.
His daughter Celeste, and son Egidio..I have never heard this name, but it would be my Great Uncle James. and another son Raffaele who died shortly after arriving.

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to determine if Giacomo possibly came to America to meet with other Sorrentinos, as I am trying to establish a connection between two groups of Sorrentinos that we know are in someway connected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Giacomo Sorrentino

Post by adelfio »

Heres the marriage record of Nicola Attanasio and Giovanna Sorrentino (sister of Giacomo??)
INDEX#76
1903 Nov 14th in Gragnano marriage of Nicola Attanasio age 24 miller born in Gragnano son of deceased Gerardo Attanasio and deceased Marta Grazia Di Martino married to Giovanna Sorrentino age 21 born in Gragnano daughter of deceased Egidio Sorrentino and deceased Celeste Sansone

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245728001

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think Egidio Sorrentino was married twice first Celeste Sansone then Maria Luigia Carotenuto says Luigia was his second wife on the death record
Death record of Egidio Sorrentino
Index#164
1903 June 19th in the town of Gragnano death of Egidio Sorrentino age 61 Pattiere= (Sewer of wool cloth) born and residing in Gragnano son of deceased Sebastiano Sorrentino and deceased Angela Grieco husband of second wife Maria Luigia Carotenuto

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245766201

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
richsorr1

Post by richsorr1 »

Very Interesting. Giacomo definitely had a sister named Immaculata, who married a Francesco Carotenuto. I wonder the relation between Francesco and Nicola?

I have been trying to figure out the relation between two Sorrentino families. There is a Alphonso Sorrentino who married Anastasia Attanasio. Their children, particularly Vincenzo Sorrentino (Born :1868) have a relation to my Sorrentino family. I believe they are cousins and that Egidio and Alphonse are possibly brothers? I would love to find the connection between these 3 families.

Thanks for the help
richsorr1

Post by richsorr1 »

Here is a civil registration for for Almerinda Sorrentino, parents Egidio Sorrentino and Celeste.

It is listed as Castellamare Di Stabia but I can make out "Born in Gragnano" can anyone help with translation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This is a Death Act...

Dated 26 July 1936 at 10 Am at the town office in Castellammare di Stabia
Before the official appeared…
Salvatore Di Lorenzo, 43, mason; and Vincenzo Marchioni, 27, workman, both residing in Castellammare, to declare that at 10 PM yesterday, at the place at Via Micheli #14, died Almerinda Sorrentino, age 69, baker, residing in Castellammare, born in Gragnano to deceased Egidio [Sorrentino], and to deceased Celeste Sansone. Widow of Nicola Elefante.

Witnesses to the record: Gaetano Casillo, 26, workman; Alfonso Terarano, 29, workman.

T.
richsorr1

Post by richsorr1 »

thank you!!

When I started this research we only knew of 1 sibling to Giacomo. His sister Immaculata Carotenuto. Now I can add Giovanna and Almerinda to the list. Hopefully I can find more pieces to the puzzle, but searching the records that are in Italian is difficult for me.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

richsorr1 wrote:thank you!!

When I started this research we only knew of 1 sibling to Giacomo. His sister Immaculata Carotenuto. Now I can add Giovanna and Almerinda to the list. Hopefully I can find more pieces to the puzzle, but searching the records that are in Italian is difficult for me.
Looks like you are doing a great job!
We're here to help if you need us. :D

T.
richsorr1

Post by richsorr1 »

What I am currently trying to find is the following.

My Great Grandfather Giacomo married Felicia (Sorrentino) about 1897.
Their Children were Celeste, James (Egidio), Rose, Philomena, Clorinda (Gertrude), Lucy, Alphonse and Enrico (my grandfather).

According to my grandfathers birth certificate it says that a total of 14 children were born to Felicia. Of the 6 that would have died, I have found only Raffaele (died about 1903). I am looking for any possible birth records for any children that were born in Italy (all except celeste and james were born in NY).

According to the death certificates I have, Giacomo's parents were Giro (Egidio??) Sorrentino and Celeste Sanzoni (Sansone?) Felicia's parents were Leopoldo Sorrentino and Filomena Gargiuto.

I am looking for siblings to both, I am told Felicea was an only child, but I would like to confirm. As of now it seems Giacomo's siblings were Almarinda Elefante, Giovanna Attanasio, and Immaculata Carotenuto. In the attached passenger list Felicea (listed as Gaetana Felicea) and her daughters Lucy and Clorinda are returning from Gragnano. The nearest relative listed there is Brother in Law, Enrico. So I would assume this would be Giacomo's brother.

I am also looking to see if Egidio Sorrentino had any siblings. Particularly Alfonso Sorrentino (Married to Anatasia Attanasio).

I feel like I might be at the point of requesting records from Italy?
richsorr1

Post by richsorr1 »

still looking for further information in the above post. I haven't been able to come across much..
laurel_attanasio

Post by laurel_attanasio »

My husband's great grandfather was from Gragnano and came to the USA in 1906. His name was Enrico Attanasio and he named his son Gerardo Attanasio. Just curious if you found any info on an Enrico Attanasio. My husband's grandfather believes he was an only child. I am trying to find out Enrico's parents' names.

Grazie!