Furnari from Montalbano, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BennyP

Furnari from Montalbano, Sicily

Postby BennyP » 29 Dec 2014, 18:17

Hello

This is my first foray into Italy in my family tree, so I may need a little help.

My wife's great grandparent is Giovanni/John Licinio, possibly born circa 1899 in Montalbano, and later moving to the US. Other family members say that he was born out of wedlock (a bastard) and that this surname name was given to him by the Italian government. Is this common for this era?

We have an old picture/postcard from his father, that I need a little help with. My translation of the left side is "With affection (??), son Giovanni, Furnari Carmelo?" (although the last bit is smudged, the name Carmelo/Carmela runs in the family). The right side has dates, although I don't know what "classe/chasse" may refer to, but it seems to be something about him and 'your aunt' (his sister?)

A quick search shows that Furnari is a common variation of surname for that region of Sicily, but my trail currently goes cold. Any thoughts?

Note: I posted this in this forum rather than the translation forum since I think I have most of the card correct, and am mostly interested in the Furnari lineage from Montalbano.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Furnari from Montalbano, Sicily

Postby adelfio » 29 Dec 2014, 19:15

Birth record of Giovanni Licinio
INDEX#214
1893 Nov 14th in the town of Montalbano birth of Giovanni Licinio son of parents unknown ignoti presented by midwife Marianna Di Stefano age 48
PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179269501

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 29 Dec 2014, 19:43

Written on the postcard
With affection to my son Giovanni
Furnari Car....
On the right, same handwriting:
Date of the photo 18 Sep 1951
My year of birth (=classe) 1872
Your aunt's year of birth 1891
The references to Licinio were written by a different hand

The photo was taken in Barcellona (Pozzo di Gotto) in the studio Litrico
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

BennyP

Postby BennyP » 29 Dec 2014, 21:02

adelfio wrote:Birth record of Giovanni Licinio
INDEX#214
1893 Nov 14th in the town of Montalbano birth of Giovanni Licinio son of parents unknown ignoti presented by midwife Marianna Di Stefano age 48
PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD

Marty

Thanks! That didn't really show up on my searches, for whatever reason. That is almost definitely him. I originally though he was born later, but I have other conflicting sources as well.

Di Stefano is a name that shows up repeatedly. Some also came over with Giovanni, living nearby and also being godparents to other family members, so I think this is a good match.

The name 'Giuseppe Furnari' also appears in the record as being present. If no one can translate all that for me, I'll take a stab at it later in the week. I can get some of it already since I have a background in Spanish, but the handwriting is tough.

paola52 wrote:Written on the postcard
With affection to my son Giovanni
Furnari Car....
On the right, same handwriting:
Date of the photo 18 Sep 1951
My year of birth (=classe) 1872
Your aunt's year of birth 1891
The references to Licinio were written by a different hand

The photo was taken in Barcellona (Pozzo di Gotto) in the studio Litrico
Ciao
Paola

Thanks to you, also! It's nice to see I was mostly correct. The 'different' hand I believe is my wife's grandmother (daughter of John Licinio).

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 30 Dec 2014, 07:54

Giovanni Licinio was born to a "woman who did not want to be named". He was consigned to the midwife, on her request, who promised to nourish him.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 31 Dec 2014, 04:10

The only Carmelo Furnari birth in 1872 in Montalbano
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”