Searching for Biagio Mariorenzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Searching for Biagio Mariorenzi

Postby James Graham » 22 Jan 2015, 22:04

My great grandfather is said to have died in a coal mine in Pennsylvania between 1901-1920. Exact year unknown.
I believe he was from Monticelli, Esperia or nearby. His wife's name was Filamena Tedeschi.
Children are Tommaso and Rosalia.
I tried the Commune of Esperia but no luck on records.

Any clues on where to look?

Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Biagio Mariorenzi

Postby Tessa78 » 22 Jan 2015, 22:15

Can you give us some approximate years of birth for these ancestors?

T.

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 23 Jan 2015, 00:43

Tommaso was Nov. 11, 1900. Rosalia, I believe, is 1898. Those are the only dates I have.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jan 2015, 02:27

Thank you for the additional information. We'll see what we can find.

When you say you tried Comune of Esperia, no luck with records.... did you mean you searched for records - or - did you actually write to the Comune? Monticelli is a frazione (hamlet) of the town of Esperia, and records will be held in the town.

If you have not written directly for birth records, here is the address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Viale Vittorio Veneto, 5
03045 Esperia (FR)
ITALY

Help with letters in Italian.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

For reference... Is this your Tommaso Mariorenzi in Cranston, RI?
Born 14 November 1900 in Monticelli, Esperia, Italy
There are Petition and Certificate #s on this index card that may help you get his naturalization records. That MAY help you find out more about his father.

T.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 23 Jan 2015, 02:37

You may have not gotten a response concerning Biagio's birth record since you could not supply a year of birth.

Since you know Tommaso's birthdate plus or minus a couple days, I'd request a complete copy of his birth record of from Esperia. Tommaso's birth record will have his father Biagio's age which will give you a good guesstimate of the year Biagio was born, and might also indicate where Biagio was born.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 23 Jan 2015, 02:47

I used a number of various searches but haven't been able to locate a death record from the Pennsylvania Death Certificates database from 1906-1963 on Ancestry. Likewise, I've tried searching the list of deaths and injuries in the Bituminous (soft coal) and Anthracite (hard coal) districts at the Pennsylvania State archives site and came up empty. I've had some success before locating information here but non Anglo names pre-1920s can be butchered pretty badly. You might want to see if you can locate anything.

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/rg/ ... erface.htm

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jan 2015, 02:51

Biff83 wrote:You may have not gotten a response concerning Biagio's birth record since you could not supply a year of birth.

Since you know Tommaso's birthdate plus or minus a couple days, I'd request a complete copy of his birth record of from Esperia. Tommaso's birth record will have his father Biagio's age which will give you a good guesstimate of the year Biagio was born, and might also indicate where Biagio was born.

Biff

Great suggestion, Biff!! :D :D

T.

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 23 Jan 2015, 04:03

I have Tommaso's birth record but it does not list an age for Biagio.
I wrote to Esperia and no record found but the family said that is where he is from.

Also, it is rumored he passed away in Pennsylvania. The details are vague. From what I recall and other family members, he sent money home to Italy then it stopped. His children were told he died. Maybe this was not true.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 23 Jan 2015, 13:36

Did they send you a copy of the original record, or just a certificate?
Certificates don't usually show parents' ages, but it can be found in original records.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 23 Jan 2015, 18:39

I have a photocopy of the original birth record but a 'X' is listed for age.
His naturalization from NARA has no info on his father.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jan 2015, 20:29

Let me see if I have the timeline correct.

Biagio comes to USA sometime AFTER 1900 (since Tommaso was born in November, and Rosalia in 1899)

It is believed that he worked in Pennsylvania in the mines after his arrival.

Tommaso arrives before 1923 since Rosalia arrives in 1923, single, going to brother Tommaso in Rhode Island, and her "nearest relative" is mother Filomena in Providence (according to the manifest)
When did Filomena Tedeschi Mariorenzi travel to US?
Do you have any idea how Filomena settled in Providence? I see from the searches that there are a number of Mariorenzi families found there. You believe she arrived AFTER Biagio's death?

T.

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 24 Jan 2015, 17:34

Filomena never came that I was aware of.
My mother never mentioned her, either.
I do believe, if Filamena did come, she wouldn't have come until Tommaso had arrived or with him in 1921.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 24 Jan 2015, 18:12

James Graham wrote:Filomena never came that I was aware of.
My mother never mentioned her, either.
I do believe, if Filamena did come, she wouldn't have come until Tommaso had arrived or with him in 1921.

Thank you for the clarification.
On Rosalia's arrival manifest in 1923, the relative in place of last residence has "mother - Filomena Tedeschi - Providence" This may be an error by the clerk since Rosalia states that she was never in US before and was traveling to brother, Tommaso in Providence.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _3403-0048

And Tommaso's arrival states he was leaving "mother Filomena Tedeschi in Esperia" and going to "uncle Silvestro Mariorenzi in Cranston, RI"

Maybe tracking Silvestro's movements from his arrival in US will provide some clues to the movement of Biagio??? Just thinking out loud.

EDIT TO ADD:
Here is possible death record for Silvestro Mariorenzi.
If his is the brother of Biagio, this provides verification of names of parents.
In 1920 Census in Cranston I saw that Silvestro/Sylvester's first son is named Tommaso, as was the first son of Biagio. That works with their father's name being Tommaso. Both Biagio and Silvestro named daughters Rosa(lia) which also works with their mother's name below.

Silvestro Mariorenzi
Rhode Island, Deaths and Burials
Name: Silvestro Mariorenzi
Death Date: 13 Dec 1924
Death Place: Cranston, Rhode Island
Birth Date: 1862
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Maria Teresa
Father's Name: Tommaso
Mother's Name: Rosalia Caprarelli

T.

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 24 Jan 2015, 19:36

Tommaso makes sense as every other generation was that name. Also Rosalia with the naming traditions.
I've never heard of him before but it sure seems to match up.
Thank you.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 24 Jan 2015, 20:38

Great work T.! :D

Interestingly, there was a Giovanni Mariorenzi, born in Esperia 16 Sep 1890 who emigrated to Shenandoah PA in Schuylkill county (hard coal country) in 1909 and joined his brother Giuseppe. At the time he was single. There is another immigration record in 1915 which shows he has been in the US before and is joining his brother Giuseppe. Last relative in Italy now is wife Scholastica Moretti and his place of birth is shown as Monticelli. Later census and draft card records state he worked for a coal company.

I mention this since it gives some credence to what you mentioned about Biagio working as a miner.

Biff

Return to “Italian Genealogy”