Zammetti; Somma; Verducci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brooklyngirl

Zammetti; Somma; Verducci

Postby brooklyngirl » 11 Jul 2005, 07:15

Hi -
I am trying to find any information regarding John Zammetti of Palermo; b/d: 8/1866-69; immigrated to the U.S. <1885>. Had a brother possibly named Sanka or Santo.
Also looking for information regarding Annie Verducci b/d: 1879 –1883 in Sicily, immigrated to U.S. <1885>; her mother's name was Isabella b/d: 7/1857, immigrated to U.S. <1885 - 1888>.
It's possible that Isabella re-married before immigrating, and also possible that Annie may not be a Verducci - the story is from my grandfather's memory - he is now 100 years old. Annie and John are his parents.
The other name for Annie may be Somma - my Grandfather says that she sometimes used this name. I have found evidence through the U.S. Census of Isabella Somma and Joseph Somma living with Annie and John (Zammetti) in 1920. The census lists them as Mother-in-law and Brother-in-law to John.
I have also found two ships manifests that list both Verducci and Somma as passengers on the same page.

I would appreciate any information regarding these questions - I have hit a wall and can't seem to get any further!

Barbara DeRosa

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Zammetti; Somma; Verducci

Postby VaDeb » 11 Jul 2005, 13:45

Hi Barbara,

Wonderful, a grandfather who is 100 and can share information. Make sure as you continue to look for documentation to "prove" the family story he shares to share the research results with him. Never know what may jog another memory.

All records in Italy are in the town of origin. John - was he born in the town or province of Palermo? Ask grandfather if he remembers parents speaking of a patron saint for their town in Italy. May help identify the town. Manifests from this time period often just say the person was from Italy. Did they arrive in NY or another port?

So your grandfather was born in 1905 and here in the United States. Do you have his birth certificate? Do you have birth certificates for his siblings? Sibling research can provide valuable clues and verify information. Do all the birth records provide the same information regarding the parents.

Do you have death records and looked for obits on your grandfather's siblings? Depending on the newspaper, obits can be a goldmine of information. SAme for his parents.

Do you have the marriage record for his parents? Make sure to ask the names of churches your grandfather attended and where they were located.

Your grandfather was alive in 1930. Have you found him on the 1930 census? Sometimes is easier to get the whole picture when you start here and work backwards.

Hopefully, some of these questions can help get past the brick wall. We need to know how much of the above research you have done to recommend a research path.

Debbie

brooklyngirl

Postby brooklyngirl » 12 Jul 2005, 00:30

Hi Debbie -

I cannot find any evidence of John Zammetti (or form of) arriving in the US. The 1930 Census (sp. Zametti) states he immigrated here in 1885. My grandfather is listed as "Charles" with his brother, who we know as "Carmine" being listed as Salvatore - the name my grandfather says is his. I know this because my grandfather was the only married person listed along with my grandmother and 3 of their 5 children. I have no knowledge of any documentation for John or Annie (1930 census states her name as "Janna" - a transcription error). I will have to ask my grandfather if he has any or knows of any. He lives in NY - I am in CA - so it will take some time. I have paid for Census, Immigration and Records through Ancestry. com - this is the extent of the info I have found.
I think that there may have been some name "swapping" for purposes of military enlistment during the early 1900's between my grandfather and his brother - hence the mix-up on the census.
I am also struggling with the Verducci-Somma issue. My grandfather has never stated that his grandmother was married twice - only that his mother, Annie used the names intermittently, while her brothers used the name Somma all the time. The 1900 census shows Isabel Somma as head oif household, with three sons: Antonio, Charles and Joseph. The names match my grandfather's recollections. I do not find any census record for her before 1930, only one in 1900 for an Annie Somma, 10 years old as a boarder on East 11th St. in NYC. As I said, I have found two different ship's manifests that list both a Verducci and a Somma on the same page. Possibly they used Annie for one of them to stay in the U.S. - hence the different name.
I have found a ships manifest for a Santo Zammitto, 17 years old. The Dalmatia arrived NY 3/19/1919 from Palermo. It states his fathers name as Giovanni, also from Palermo. This may possibly be Johns brother, who my grandfather remembers as "Zanka or Sanka". He died when my grandfather was approximately 15 years old (1920). The only information I have about Sanka from my grandfather is that he owned or worked at a busines in Bklyn, NY and drove a truck - possibly a laundry.
I have found a Salvatore Zanka and family living on Hicks Street on the 1910 census, on the 1920 census Salvatore is gone, but there is a 3 year old son Santo added. This is the same street my grandfather's family lived on in 1930. Salvatore is found in NJ, with a new wife and family on this census. The 1930 census has Slavatore back with his family in Broooklyn, but on Clinton Street. I son't really think this is the same person, but, you never know!

I have not found any obits for anyone. I will ask my grandfather the questions you state regarding the town, saints, etc. He can remember things, but sometimes it takes a while and some prodding. Alas, he is 100 years old!

Thanks,
Barb

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 12 Jul 2005, 00:52

I looked at the 1930 census. Shows they are naturalized and Anna came to the US in 1886 and John in 1887

In the 1920 census John is PA and came in 1885. This means he has filed his Decalartion of Intent or first paper. Annie is still an alien and came in 1885.

So you know they were naturalized between 1920 - 1930. YOu can write to NARA and request the information or file a FOIA (freedom of information request) with the INS and request the information. I would try NARA first. Less red tape.

Seems lilke you have done alot of the first step in genealogy research and that is interview family. Now you have to verify and make sense of all the informaiton that you have before you can go further. YOu need to request death and birth records for this family.

Debbie

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 12 Jul 2005, 01:06

Try this database:
http://www.italiangen.org/default.htm#

There are Zammatti records here in deaths and grooms. YOu can use the numbers to order original records.

Also has an Isabell Somma who died in 1924.

Debbie

maria123

Postby maria123 » 27 Aug 2012, 19:16

I know you posted your post a while back in 2005, but was looking for my Uncle Charlie. John Zammetti and Isabella are my great grandparents. They had 10 children:

Andy
Steve
Carmine
Mary (my maternal grandmother)
Bella
Rose
Helen
Jean
Paddy
Charlie

Would love to hear back from you about your grandfather. Maria

maria123

Postby maria123 » 27 Aug 2012, 19:38

I have a picture of Isabella Somma and of John Zammetti.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”