My grandfather's military records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Berni A

My grandfather's military records

Postby Berni A » 02 Feb 2015, 01:19

Thank you in advance for any information and direction in helping me.

My grandfather was born in L'Aquila, Italy, January 10th, 1876. I know very little about his birth family. I did see actual military records for his discharge from the service in L'Aquila when I was at my aunt's home. Since she passed away, no one can locate the records. I do not know what years he served but I'm guessing between 1892 and 1900. That would make him between 16 and 24.

The official papers I saw were green and very ornate with an eagle on it. They stated he had served in the Cavalry L'Aquila Army. The official spelling on the document listed his name as:

Bernardino Battistella.

He married Eugenia Centi sometime in the late 1890's and immigrated to Pennsylvania. A brother, came with him whose name was Gabriel Battistella.

Once they arrived, the name was changed, possibly due to errors, I am not sure. The name our family uses now is adulterated somewhat in that it is spelled two ways:
Battestilli or Battistelli. Neither of those two spellings are what I saw on the discharge papers. I am trying to get copies of the original papers so I can be certain of the original spelling of his name.

Does anyone know how I would get this information? I need specific instructions, please. I speak very little Italian but use BabelFish in case the wording needs to be in Italian. Just advise and I will try to accommodate the requirements. Thanks again and I do hope to hear some good news in my quest. Berni A

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: My grandfather's military records

Postby Anizio » 02 Feb 2015, 05:05

It is a very easy process, I met with the ladies there in 2013, all very nice and very helpful. They will send you everything you need. It is one of the better state archives in terms of organization and staff.

This is the exact letter you want to send, including the address:

---------------------------------------------

Archivio di Stato dell'Aquila
Zona Industriale di Bazzano
via G. Galilei, 2
67100 L'Aquila (AQ)
Italia

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo (your name), ed abito nel (your country), all'indirizzo sopraddetto (include your address as a title to the letter so its easy for them to see and reply). Cerco informazioni sul mio antenato, Bernardino Battistella. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia.

Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi i ruoli matricolari (e, se possibile, gli altri documenti militari che possono esistere) di Bernardino Battistella, in carta libera. Bernardino Battistella era nato nel 10 gennaio 1876 a L'Aquila.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei documenti.

Distini saluti,

(your name)
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 02 Feb 2015, 06:27

Also I would include a return envelop with your address already on it (a larger one since they documents they send you will be large.) Not postage, despite what you may read.

And if you are okay getting copies via email, I suggest you also include your email address. The quality of the image would likely be better because or else it will just be a photocopy.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

Berni A

Postby Berni A » 02 Feb 2015, 17:40

Dear Ansio,

I am so very thankful for that very specific information!! I will do as you suggest and God willing, I will find what I am looking for. You are awesome!

Berni A

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 02 Feb 2015, 18:43

No problem. The information on it should be easy to understand, you can translate most of it on google translate. If you need any help PM me or post on here and someone can help.

the Ruoli Matricolari should give you his parents names, address, some physical characteristics, and the years of his service including units. It may also include promotions, injuries, medals, or other information. Really depends on who kept the record. Some are better done than others.

But since the letter I gave you also asks for "other military records you may have" there's no way to know what you may receive. For instance, from the Archivio di Stato di Ancona I got some additional documents including a great-grandfathers request to be excluded from the draft in WWI.

Good luck!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”