Looking for Rocco Turtora/Marie Antonia D'Ursi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dswunderley

Looking for Rocco Turtora/Marie Antonia D'Ursi

Postby dswunderley » 02 Feb 2015, 02:06

I have been looking for birth/marriage information on g-grandparents - Rocco Turtora/Tortora/Tortoro and Marie Antonia/Antonetta D'Ursi.

Both born in Italy - Antonia about 1868/69 and Rocco about 1870 and married 1888, according to 1900 US census record. We believe they are from the San Giorgo Lucano area. Arrived 5/11/1896 on the Alstatia from Naples w/3 children Giuseppe, Maria and Francesco. Settled in McKees Rocks living on property of Giovanni Pastino. Understanding is that Maria Giuseppa (D'Ursi) Pastino was sister of Maria Antonia - daughters of Rose Fasanelli D'Ursi.

Both Rocco and Antonia were dead by 1903 (Rocco is buried at St Mary's Cemetery) and remaining (3 out of 5) children were "raised" by relatives in the area. We have no information on Antonia or her two children, Francesco and Dominico (born in US).

My grandfather - Battista Turtora aka Patrick Turner was born in 1897/98 in McKees Rocks area, but do not have a birth certificate/baptismal record for him.

Any help finding/verifying information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Debbie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for Rocco Turtora/Marie Antonia D'Ursi

Postby suanj » 02 Feb 2015, 05:56

Hi,
also if the surname is transcribed wrong, I believe that this 1900 is of your ancestors:

Rock Tasturer

United States Census, 1900

Name: Rock Tasturer
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1900
Event Place: Stowe Township (south side, excl. McKees Rocks Borough), Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Years Married: 12
Birth Date: 1870
Birthplace: Italy
Marriage Year (Estimated): 1888
Immigration Year: 1896
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Rock Tasturer Head M 30 Italy
Marne A Tasturer Wife F 31 Italy (b. Dec 1869 )
Joseph Tasturer Son M 12 Italy (b. nov 1888)
Mary Tasturer Daughter F 7 Italy (b. May 1893)
Frank Tasturer Son M 5 Italy ( b. jan 1895)
John Tasturer Son M 3 Pennsylvania (b. Mar or May 1897)
Domeneo Tasturer Son M 0 Pennsylvania ( b. Apr 1900)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1325221
probably your Battista Tortora ( right italian spelling) was baptized with Giovanni Battista first name ( John Baptiste)

best regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 02 Feb 2015, 06:06

your ancestor WWI draft registration card record: the birthyear.. maybe ...is wrong, he was born in 1897... because the family arrived in USA on May 11th, 1896, so maybe he was born in 1897...

Battista Turtoro

United States World War I Draft Registration Cards

Name: Battista Turtoro
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1917-1918
Event Place: Allegheny County no 1, Pennsylvania, United States
Nationality: United States
Birth Date: 23 Mar 1896
Birthplace: Flemming Park, Pennsylvania, United States

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

the your ancestor birthplace San Giorgio Lucano, seeming right, by this record of Giuseppe Tortora aka Joseph Anthony :

Joseph Antony Turtoro

United States World War I Draft Registration Cards

Name: Joseph Antony Turtoro
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1917-1918
Event Place: Allegheny County no 2, Pennsylvania, United States
Nationality: Italy
Birth Date: 16 Apr 1889
Birthplace: St George Lucano, Potenza, Italy

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

dswunderley

Postby dswunderley » 02 Feb 2015, 22:05

Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately, Uncle Joe (Giuseppe Turtoro) I know was confused about the year they arrived from Italy. Is there any way for me to check/verify his birthplace? I figure that there would be something/somewhere - hopefully on-line - that we could find out more information concerning his parents - Rocco and Antonia D'Ursi Turtora i.e. correct name and spelling, birthplace and dates, marriage, and parents.

My grandfather - Battista Turtora - was known as Pat Turner - do you have any ideas as to where I can find out his real name. My guess would be Pasquale Battista, but no verification/information as such. My aunt was told when she was a child by her "grandmother" (Mary Pastino) that Pat's real name was John.

In 1918 - we found a cousin of Joe Tortoro living on Island Ave in McKees Rocks. He registered for the draft as Patrick Battesto Turtoro. Born in 1880 and a citizen of Italy. It seems that a lot of relatives worked for the P & LE Railroad. I don't know if the documentation for the railroad is available for personnel during it's early years in McKees Rocks, PA.

Other than the cousin - we have no knowledge of Turtora/Tortora/Tortoro.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice -

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 03 Feb 2015, 05:40

Hi,
abt the arrival, no doubts that this is the right record :
First Name : Rocco
Last Name : Tortora
Nationality : Italy, Italian
Date of Arrival : May 11th, 1896
Age at Arrival : 26
Ship of Travel : Alsatia
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0797
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5nZXIiOw==
travelling with wife and children..

no birthplace, but by Giuseppe/Joseph WWI draft registration card, he was born in San Giorgio Lucano, so the family coming from this town..
abt civil records on line no luck because are the civil records from 1901 to 1910 so no helpful
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043814

abt real first name of your Battista Tortora aka Pat Turner, just searching the baptism record or birth certificate you can know... but because in 1900 census he is John, and then Battista, I believe that he was baptized and had the first name of Giovanni Battista or Giambattista....

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

dswunderley

Postby dswunderley » 12 Feb 2015, 23:32

I am not sure that my grandfather's birth registration or baptismal records exist anymore. The Catholic church that was used by the Italian immigrants in McKees Rocks, PA burned down along with the records it held. No state records were needed back when he was born (1897/98). (My mother's baptismal record shows her father as Baptiste - she was born in late 1929, so her records are available.)

The census records for 1900 (first and last for Rocco and Antonia) have the names anglicized from the Italian names. Ellis Island record shows Giuseppe, Maria, Francesco, Rocco and Antonia.

Can you suggest where I can locate any birth/marriage records for either Rocco or Marie Antonia Dursi - a town/city that is searchable on-line? I am new to this and trying to work on it with cousins.

From what I have been told - g-grandparents lived on land owned by Giovanni Pastino (John Pastin) family, and the two wives were sisters (Marie Antonia Dursi Turtora and Maria Giuseppe Dursi Pastino), their parents were Rose Fasanella Dursi and Francesco Dursi.

Thank you in advance for any help.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 13 Feb 2015, 06:23

Hi, just the San Giorgio Lucano civil records from 1901 to 1910 are microfilmed and availables by familysearch.org... https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043814
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

dswunderley

Postby dswunderley » 13 Feb 2015, 18:49

Are there any records available prior to 1901? My family arrived in America in 1896 -

Thank you!!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 13 Feb 2015, 21:18

available on line? no..
the civil records from 1809 to 1860 are in Matera provincial archive, surely:
STATO CIVILE
Atti dello stato civile, regg. 7.800 (1809-1860).
Si riferisce alle seguenti località:
Accettura, Alianello l, Aliano, Bernalda, Bollita (Nova Siri), Calciano, Cirigliano,
Colobraro, Craco, Favale (Valsinni), Ferrandina, Garaguso, Gorgoglione, Grassano,
Grottole, Matera, Miglionico, Mont’Albano (Montalbano Ionico), Montepeloso
(Irsina), Oliveto (Oliveto Lucano), Pisticci, Pomarico, Rotondella, Salandra,
San Giorgio (San Giorgio Lucano), San Mauro (San Mauro Forte), Stigliano,
Tricarico, Tursi.

and in San Giorgio Lucano-civil records archive...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”