Castellis from Bagni di Lucca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
NickiMacaroni

Castellis from Bagni di Lucca

Postby NickiMacaroni » 13 Feb 2015, 05:24

Hi! I have just discovered another clue to the elusive history of the Castelli side of my family! I am not sure what the connection is, but I discovered that my 2nd great grandmother and my 2nd great aunts and uncles came over to the USA from Italy with another person who shared their last name of Castelli. Her name was Elia Lensini Castelli. She was married to Rieso Castelli. She was traveling to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to live with her husband and his brother, Altamare Castelli. Here is what I know:
Altamare Castelli was born in 1893 and died in 1957. He was married to Augusta, and they had four children: Anna, Rena, Albert and Mary.
Rieso Castelli and Elia Lensini were married and lived with them until at least 1930, according to the census, but then they seemed to disappear, at least until Rieso's death in 1970. (Oddly, he has death records in both Minnesota and Wisconsin, and apparently died in both states on the exact same day, perhaps with one foot in Wisconsin and one foot in Minnesota?)
The father of Altamare and Rieso was listed as Evangelisto Castelli, and they were from Bagni di Lucca in Italy.
Any clues? Thanks!!!

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Castellis from Bagni di Lucca

Postby adelfio » 13 Feb 2015, 16:04

I think your relatives come Viareggio Lucca according to Altomare's draft card
Birth record of Altomare Castelli
Index#200
1893 April 3rd in the town of Viareggio in a house on via Emilia in Torre del Largo birth of Altomare Castelli son of Evangelisto Castelli age 43 (son of deceased Rinaldo Castelli) and Giovannani Albino (daughter of deceased Giuseppe Albino)

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350115601

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

NickiMacaroni

Re: Castellis from Bagni di Lucca

Postby NickiMacaroni » 19 Feb 2015, 22:11

Thanks! The draft card you found is different from the one I found, but they seem to be the same person. On his WW1 Draft card, Altamare saidi he was born in Bagni di Lucca. On the WW2 card, he said he was born in Viareggio Lucca. I don't know anything about the geography of Italy... are the two places close? He gives the same exact birthday for both, and lives in the same city, so it must be the same person!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”