Carmela Forlano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
goriogal

Carmela Forlano

Postby goriogal » 20 Feb 2015, 15:21

I'm looking for a marriage certificate for my ggreat grandmother, Carmela Forlano. She came to America using Forlano as her last name but there is some question as to whether or not it was actually her maiden name. She was born in Postiglione, Italy on 21 Sept 1859. I don't even know where to start so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Carmela Forlano

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Feb 2015, 16:42

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Italian women traveled with their maiden name, even when married.
The name on the manifest would have been taken from her passport.
If you GGGM arrived as Carmela Forlano, that was her maiden name.
It is also possible that her maiden name and her married name were the same.

I located a manifest for a Carmela Forlano, from Postiglione, arriving NY 1911...
She was going to her Uncle Raffaele Viggiano in Brooklyn, NY
HOWEVER, this Carmela Forlano was single and age 17 - which would have been too young for your ancestor...

Can you post the arrival you have for her? Or a link to it.

This is the information I found
Carmela Forlano
New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name: Carmela
Surname: Forlano
Last Place of Residence: Salerno, Postiglione, Italy
Event Date: 06 Dec 1911
Nationality: Italy, Italian So.
Departure Port: Naples
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: S
Ship Name: Cincinnati

EDIT TO ADD:

Could this be your GGM? in 1920 US Census in Detroit, Michigan on Watson St.?
On this census, Carmela is a widow. Son, Elmano (Emilio?) is head of household and is divorced... He lists his immigration as 1905, and indicates that he is naturalized.
Carmela Forlano
United States Census, 1920
Name: Carmela Forlano
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: Detroit Ward 9, Wayne, Michigan, United States
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: Yes
Relationship to Head of Household: Mother
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Mother
Birth Year (Estimated): 1859
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1910
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Elman Forlano Head M 33 Italy
Carmela Forlano Mother F 61 Italy
Samuel Targuini Boarder M 30 Italy
Otylio Ciocca Boarder M 25 Italy
Alberto Taggi Boarder M 36 Italy
Nicola Tanchedi Boarder M 32 Italy
Lorenzo Manzo Boarder M 25 Italy
Dominico Gailhard Boarder M 36 Italy

MARRIAGE of Emilio Forlano and Elizabeth Micco in 1918, in Michigan.

He lists his father's name as Joe (Giuseppe?).
Third couple down the page.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1452395

T.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 20 Feb 2015, 16:55

Carmela Forlano shipmanifest line #2
PG LNK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _1479-0107

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Feb 2015, 17:11

Great find, Marty!

On this manifest Carmela Forlano is identified as a widow.
She leaves "parent (could be parente=relative) - Giuseppe Saponaro in Altavilla Silentina" and is going to son, Emilio.
She lists her place of birth as Postiglione.

On Emilio's WWI Draft REgistration Card, he lists his date and place of birth as 15 September 1886 in Altavilla Silentina.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... turnRecord

Manifest for Emilio Forlano - line #4

Going to "brother-in-law Gennaro Taurone(?)"
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord

On this ship manifest dated 4 days before his actual date of sail above, Emilio Forlano is listed on the line above Gennaro Taurone and his wife Antonia. Antonia could be Emilio's sister...
Emilio is crossed off and we know he sailed 4 days later. However, you can see on this manifest that he lists his "relative Giuseppe Taurone in Walker Mills..." as his destination. This is the same Giuseppe Taurone listed as destination for Gennaro (Giuseppe is his brother) and Antonia (Giuseppe is her brother-in-law.)
Since Gennaro states that he has been in USA before, maybe an earlier manifest (if he was married at the time) will identify Antonia's maiden name :-)

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Ultimately, it would be a good idea to write to the Comune of Altavilla Silentina, in Salerno Province, to request the birth record of Emilio and/or Antonia Forlano.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Umberto I, 19
84045 Altavilla Silentina (SA)
Italy

Help with letters of request in Italian
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
T.

goriogal

Postby goriogal » 24 Feb 2015, 17:19

Yes, Carmela Forlano - from Detroit - is my GGgrandmother. Her son, Emilio, my Ggrandfather. Antonia (Saponaro) Taurone was Emilio's half-sister and he came to America with her (he was originally denied entrance because he had an eye infection and he was detained onboard ship for an additional four days). He later sent for his mother, Carmela Forlano. Growing up I had always been told that Carmela was married in Italy to a Guiseppe Forlano (her second husband) and he simply chose not to come to America. However, I have never been able to find any information on a Guiseppe Forlano and no one in the family seems to know Carmela's maiden name. Based on a conversation I had with my grandmother, I'm suspecting that Carmela's maiden name may have been Forlano, her married name Saponaro and her son, Emillo, illegitimate. I'm trying to get to the bottom of some family secrets and find some evidence either one way or the other. I'm not sure of the actual town where Emilio was born but I wil try writing to the Comune of Altavilla Silentina for a birth certificate. Thanks for your help. Wendi

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Feb 2015, 17:39

Military record registration they used their mothers name as the last name because padre ignoto
Forlano
Nome: Emilio
Classe: 1886
Comune di nascita: Altavilla Silentina
Full text: Forlano Emilio di padre ignoto e Forlano Carmela nato il 16/09/1886 a Altavilla Silentina di professione

Forlano
Nome: Salvatore
Classe: 1894
Comune di nascita: Altavilla Silentina
Full text: Forlano Salvatore di padre ignoto e Forlano Carmela nato il 10/05/1894 a Altavilla Silentina di professione

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

goriogal

Postby goriogal » 24 Feb 2015, 17:48

Wow - that would clear it up. Mystery, solved! Thanks for your help, Marty. Just one more question...are these WWI military records? I've seen the WWII military registration that Emilio filled out here in America so....

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Feb 2015, 21:28

Military records identify individuals who served in the military or who were eligible for service. From 1865 on, all young men were required to serve in or register for military service in Italy.
Italian males have to register for the draft by classe di nascita(year of birth)
The Liste di Leva contain the name of all those young residents in an Italian province who were 18 years old and in conditions to go to the military service
PG LINK ABOUT ITALIAN MILITARY
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ry_Records
Marty

Marty

goriogal

Postby goriogal » 25 Feb 2015, 19:59

Thanks again. Now I need to look into this military record for Salvatore Forlano... seems like they may have been brothers but no one in the family has ever heard of Salvatore Forlano.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”