Santacroce from Formia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kroberto

Santacroce from Formia

Postby kroberto » 21 Feb 2015, 17:34

My great-great grandmother's name was Rosa Santacroce. According to the birth certificate we have for her, she was born January 13, 1885 in Formia, Latina, Lazio, Italy. She said that her parents died when she was very young (maybe 3 or 4 years old), and that she and her older brother were raised by their (unnamed) eldest brother.

She came to America as a young woman (anywhere from 15-21 years old) to marry Antonio Tonzelli. I have a record of their marriage from 1906, but I can't find any documentation for Rosa prior to that, aside from the actual physical birth certificate that my grandfather has in his possession.

Her parents are listed on the birth certificate as Giuseppe Santacroce and Margherita Mastrianni (spelling?), but I can't find any information on them either: no birth, marriage, or death records, and no records of their sons -- although, I don't know what the sons names were. If I had to guess, I would assume that the eldest son's name was probably the same as his father, since that seems to be an Italian naming custom, which would make him Giuseppe Santacroce too.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Santacroce from Formia

Postby Anizio » 21 Feb 2015, 17:44

Show us the birth certificate you received. I suspect it was an extract. The copia integrale would have the parents ages at the time of birth making it hugely valuable because it gives you an approximate year to find the parents birth records. So if you do have an extract my advice is write a letter and get a copia integrale dell'atto di nascita. Going forward always request this for everything (birth, death, marriage).

If you don't have the record in your possession, you will know the difference: one is typed with just the basic information and says "estratto" at the top, the other is a photocopy of an actual document going into detail about witnesses, parents age and professions, signatures at the bottom, at will just say "atti di nascita" at the top.

Also it is not true that the eldest son would have the fathers name (a good example of when to avoid assumptions in genealogy) - that seemed to have been true for Italian-Americans (Italians born or having children in the US), but in Italy is is more common for a man to name his first son (or a son, not always the first - sometimes they don't do it until the father has passed) after his father, so you have lines like this: Luigi -> Alessandro -> Luigi -> Alessandro -> Luigi, etc.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 21 Feb 2015, 20:48

Welcome to IG website here us her shipmanifest listed backwards Santacroce Rosa going to see her brother Achilles Santacroce in Philadelphia line#14
Rosa Santacroce
New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)
Given Name: Rosa
Surname: Santacroce
Last Place of Residence: Formia
Event Date: 14 Jan 1906
Nationality: Italy
Departure Port: Napoli
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: S
Ship Name: Brasile

PG LINK TO RECORD
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Achilles Santacroce was born in Formia 02/08/1878
PG LINK TO RECORD
http://interactive.ancestry.com/2717/31 ... turnRecord

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

kroberto

Postby kroberto » 22 Feb 2015, 05:51

Thank you both SO SO much for the information and for the tips on how to keep tracking down info. I am so excited to relay this to my grandfather!

kroberto

Postby kroberto » 10 Jan 2016, 02:25

Again, thanks so much for all your help, everyone! I was able to track down a lot of information based on what you've provided me. Here is my ancestor Rosa's birth certificate! Does anyone have any ideas on how I can track down information on her parents? As previously mentioned (and as listed on the attached birth certificate), it appears that their names were Giuseppe Santacroce and Margherita Mastroianni. I have virtually no other information on them, and honestly, I can't quite decipher the attached document.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 11 Jan 2016, 13:43

It states that Rosa Santacroce was born on Feb 13th, 1885 at 6am.
You read correctly her parents' names.
It also states the original record had no side annotations.

To get some more info, you should have requested a "copia integrale dell'atto di nascita".
It actually is a copy of the original record, and there, you might have found parents' ages.
Starting from that, you could request church records for them (Formia has no civil records before, I think, 1866).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”