De Cristoforo from Mormanno, Cosenza and Nice, France

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PecciSalera

De Cristoforo from Mormanno, Cosenza and Nice, France

Postby PecciSalera » 22 Feb 2015, 04:36

Hello, I am looking for information about the De Cristoforo family from Mormanno, Cosenza, Calabria and Nice, France.

Orazio De Cristoforo was born in Mormanno (according to his marriage certificate to Maria Rufina Trinchitella in Viggiano in 1900) on 16 Feb 1876 (according to naturalization papers). His mother is listed as Angela De Cristoforo and father as padre ignoto on the marriage certificate. The family story is that there was some reason that Orazio and the other children could not take the fathers name. The father is reputed to be Nicola Caffieri, but I can find no proof of this, and not very sure of this "fact".

Orazio was the oldest, subsequent siblings include Amelia, Sylvio, Giorgio, Generosa, and Abele.

Apparently, some or all of the brothers emigrated to Nice, France. Because there were so many children born with the last name Di Cristoforo, it makes me suspect that perhaps Angela De Cristoforo married a non-Catholic, that would not allow the children to be listed as legitimate in the eyes of the Catholic Church. Did this happen?

Orazio De Cristoforo and Rufina Maria Trinchitella emigrated to California and both died there. They had one surviving daughter, Helen/Elena De Cristoforo.

Does anyone have any information on this family? Or could suggest places for further research?
L. Litjen

PecciSalera

Re: De Cristoforo from Mormanno, Cosenza and Nice, France

Postby PecciSalera » 22 Feb 2015, 04:38

I forgot to add that on Orazio's marriage certificate, his mother is listed as coming from Santa Domenica Talao.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 22 Feb 2015, 15:52

On the birth record its says the father chosen not to be known do you have the other siblings birth records?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

PecciSalera

Postby PecciSalera » 23 Feb 2015, 07:46

The only official record I have is the U.S. naturalization record for Orazio De Cristoforo and the Italian marriage record for Orazio and Rufina Maria Trinchitella. I have tried searching for De Cristoforo's in Nice where the other brothers supposedly emigrated to, but no luck making any connection.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 23 Feb 2015, 15:00

Birth record of Orazio De Cristoforo
Index#30
1876 Feb 16th in the town of Mormanno in a house on via Landino birth of Orazio De Cristoforo son of Angela De Cristoforo age 20 from a union with man chosen not to be named

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349577101

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 23 Feb 2015, 15:51

I think that some of the siblings where born in Santa Domenica Talao.
Shipmanifest of Generosa Di Christoforo leaving brother Silvio in Nice France going to see Orazio in California
Given Name: Generosa
Surname: Di Christoforo
Last Place of Residence: Nice, France
Event Date: 09 May 1911
Nationality: Sth Italian
Departure Port: Havre
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: S
Ship Name: La Bretagne
PG#1 Line #18
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

PG#2 Line #18
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Marty

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 23 Feb 2015, 16:07

Birth record of Generoso De Cristoforo
Index#4
1888 Jan 13th in the town of Santa Domenica Talaoin a house on via Spitalaro the birth of Generoso De Cristoforo son of Angela De Cristoforo age 30 landowner from a union with man chosen not to be named not related. Its possible they were married in the church not civil maybe they married civil later and recognized the children they had later.
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348892301

Marty

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 23 Feb 2015, 16:24

Birth of Giorgio De Cristoforo
Index#18
1882 Mar 25 Jan 13th in the town of Santa Domenica Talao in a house on via Spitalaro the birth of Giorgio De Cristoforo son of Angela De Cristoforo age 30 landowner from a union with man chosen not to be named not related.
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 23 Feb 2015, 23:32

Birth of Matilida De Cristoforo
Index#7
1878 Jan 16th in the town of Santa Domenica Talao the birth of Matilida De Cristoforo daughter of Angela De Cristoforo age 20 landowner from a union with man chosen not to be named not related.
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty

PecciSalera

Postby PecciSalera » 24 Feb 2015, 16:24

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This gives me so much to go on, and I can relate this information to Orazio's grand-daughter.

PecciSalera

Postby PecciSalera » 24 Feb 2015, 16:47

In the record you found for Matilde De Cristoforo, I think it says she was born on the 20th (venti) of January, but you wrote the 16th. I noticed you did this for the other birth records as well. Is there something I'm missing, is the date of the recording on the top line next to the year not the date of birth?

Lynne

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Feb 2015, 16:52

The top refers to the date of birth act recorded the birth date and time is further down the record

Marty

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Feb 2015, 16:54

Sample birth record translation
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
35.jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty

PecciSalera

Postby PecciSalera » 10 Mar 2015, 20:47

How do you get access to the records you showed me for Mormanno and Santa Domenica Talao? I have tried searching in familysearch.org for these but have been unsuccessful.
Lynne

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 11 Mar 2015, 13:43

You are very welcome
How do you get access to the records you showed me for Mormanno and Santa Domenica Talao?
PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2043464

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2043557

Marty

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”