Biondolillo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
missywillard

Biondolillo

Postby missywillard » 24 Feb 2015, 02:17

I am researching my husband's family history. His great-grandmother, Annie Biondello, came from Alia, Italy, to New Orleans when she was 1 year old in 1897. Her headstone reads "Annie Biondello Strader," but the passenger list spells her name as "Biondolillo." Can anyone tell me which spelling is correct and if I can assume they are the same person? Also, any additional information on this family would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Biondolillo

Postby Biff83 » 24 Feb 2015, 02:46

Anna Biondolillo 1896 birth act. Click to enlarge. bottom right.

ABiondolillobirth.jpg

Extract
On 18 May 1896 at 4:40 PM appeared
Salvatore Biondolillo. 33, a ploughman, who stated that at 4AM on the 18th of May at 15 via Ferrara from his wife Vincenza Modica, 31, a ploughwoman, was born a female child given the name of Anna.

Biff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 24 Feb 2015, 02:56

The surname Biondolillo, per the above birth record, is most likely the correct spelling of he surname, since the other surname you mention, Biondello, is not evident in the town of Alia. In fact Biondello is very rare in Italy today. Now, to answer your other question, as to whether you have found the correct manifest, would depend on who the one year old child is traveling with. Do you know for a fact what her mother's name is?

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 24 Feb 2015, 03:07

The 1896 birth index has an Anna Biondolillo di Salvatore and Vincenza Modica (the record I posted) and a Marianna Biondolillo di Giuseppe and Vincenza Mascarella. For the index, click below.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,247709101

edited to add
I located the 1897 New Orleans ship manifest which verifies that the posted birth act for Anna is correct.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 24 Feb 2015, 03:17

Biff,

Sorry, your text did not show up on my monitor (only the birth record). We were researching this at the same time. You have done a great job at connecting the dots!

Bette

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 24 Feb 2015, 03:39

Salvatore Biondolillo & Vincenza Modica marriage act; right hand image

SBiondolillomarriage.jpg

Extract:
On 7 June 1889 at 11:10AM appeared
(groom) Salvatore Biondolillo, single, 26, a ploughman, born and residing in Alia, son of the deceased Domenico and the living Rosa DiBetta and
(bride) Vincenza Modica, single, 24, a ploughwoman, born and residing in Alia, daughter of the living Biagio and Antonina DiGioia.

Biff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 24 Feb 2015, 04:13

Domenico Biondolillo death act. left hand image.

DBiondolillo.jpg

On 13 Oct 1870 appeared Giuseppe Ditta? and Vincenzo Todaro who stated that on the 12th of October in a house in the Cozzo di Corvo? neighborhood died Domenico Biondolillo, 41, a ploughman born and residing in Alia, the husband of the living Rosa DiBetta, and the son of the deceased Giuseppe and deceased Antonina Fiorito.

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 25 Feb 2015, 00:53

Vincenza Modica birth act.

On 1 Feb 1865 appeared Biagio Modica, 35, a farmer, who declared that on the 31st of January from Antonina DiGioia, 31, was born a baby girl, Vincenza Modica.

VModicaBirth.jpg

Biff

dmmenk

Postby dmmenk » 10 Jun 2015, 22:29

Hi,
I'm writing to inform you that the Biondolilo family was, in fact, present in Alia at that time. My great grandmother was one. I have no knowledge of the name Biondello. I do know that ship logs were notoriously inaccurate at that time. My own great grandmother married Giuseppe Alessandra and (as far as I know) immigrated to New Orleans in 1904. I've been to Alia, and can tell you it's very small and close knit. If, in fact, she was a Biondolilo, there is almost no chance that your husband and I are not related. Maybe even very closely. I'll have to check on her name, but can tell you now that Ann and Annie are VERY common in my family.

dmmenk

Postby dmmenk » 10 Jun 2015, 22:45

I'm sorry in advance for misspelling Biondolillo.

brandy

Postby brandy » 04 Aug 2015, 21:54

I would love to see what you have as far as the lineage. My great-grandmother is also Annie Biondello. The spelling has always been a roadblock. I am also very interested in her husband's side... Rucus Strader. Again the first name spelling is always questionable. If you are willing to share, I would greatly appreciate it! Vincenza Modica (Virginia Modicut Biondello) is actually buried right down the street from my office.

missywillard

Postby missywillard » 08 Aug 2015, 03:36

Thank you all so much! I never received any notifications that anyone responded to my post. I just happened across this while searching. Brandy - I have nothing other than the information posted above. How are you related? My husband's grandfather was Charles Strader, son of Rucus and Annie. I am at a roadblock with Rucus since every census shows he was born in Louisiana. If all of the information above is correct, Annie's headstone has an incorrect birthdate.

missywillard

Postby missywillard » 08 Aug 2015, 04:30

Does anyone have information on Sebastian Strata and Mary Z. Strata? I found a census that spells the name "Strata" instead of "Strader." Also, the census is the first I've seen showing that Rucus was born in Italy and the family immigrated to the U.S. in 1888.

brandy

Postby brandy » 27 Feb 2016, 16:21

Missy- my grandmother was Charles' sister, Frances. I would love to be able to trace this back as far as I could, but it's tough. The farthest I got for Rucus was that he was born in Trapani, Italy in 1887. All of the name spellings are proving to be quite the challenge.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 29 Feb 2016, 18:32

it looks like Rucus Strata was born in Louisiana heres is his draft card but I found a birth record I would say the surname is Strada

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... sePUB=true

Birth record of Rocco Strada
INDEX#
1887 Aug 7th recorded born Aug 6th in the town of Poggioreale, Trapani birth of Rocco Strada son of Sebastiano Strada and Maria Zummo baby was presented by midwife Carolina Calabro age 54 midwife

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2185166

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”