Joseph Christopher Columbus - Australia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
crazycatlady22

Joseph Christopher Columbus - Australia

Postby crazycatlady22 » 28 Feb 2015, 04:29

Hello, I just joined the site. I hope that someone can help me. I am doing some research for my Brother-in-law. His great grandfather was Joseph Christopher Columbus. I have a copy of his marriage certificate and his death certificate and on both Joseph has said that the name of his mother is unknown. That has made me come to the conclusion that he may have been bought up at an "Ospisio?" On his records he states that he was born in Rome in 1858. He married and died in Queensland, Australia but so far I have not been able to find any record of his arrival into this country. He is recorded as having a tattoo of Garibaldi on one arm and the Italian Standard on the other arm [I think that there are hundreds of Italian standards, so could the records have meant the Italian Flag].

What I would like to know is: if he was an Ospisio child, would the records of his birth still exist?
and - where on earth do I start looking to find Ospisio records?

Any help or advice would be greatly accepted. Thank you

James Snavely
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Joseph Christopher Columbus - Australia

Postby James Snavely » 28 Feb 2015, 05:22

Joseph Christopher Columbus is probably and Anglicization of "Giuseppe Cristoforo Colombo". Try search Italian records under that name.

crazycatlady22

Postby crazycatlady22 » 28 Feb 2015, 05:28

I know that this is going to sound like a stupid question, but, where do I look for Italian Records?

crazycatlady22

Postby crazycatlady22 » 28 Feb 2015, 06:47

I have searched Ancestry, Findmypast, familysearch, National Archives Australia, National Library Australia, National Archives Queensland, National Library Queensland. Tried different varieties of spelling the name. The only records that I have been able to get so far are his marriage certificate, death certificate, various newspaper articles, voters lists etc: but nothing that will help me with his birth in Italy, or his arrival in Australia. Any suggestions on where else I can look?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”