Looking for Farruggio-Romano connections

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cgotwo01

Looking for Farruggio-Romano connections

Postby cgotwo01 » 09 Mar 2015, 01:40

Hello - I've been researching my family history and have hit a wall with my Italian ancestors. I would like to find immigration information on my family, but have been unable to make the necessary connections. I know my paternal grandmother was first generation Italian-American. Her parents were Charles Farruggio, who immigrated to America in 1914 and her mother was Frances Romano, who immigrated in 1913. They lived in NYC. Oral family history says that Frances Romano's family had a farm in Messina, and that Charles worked on the farm. He followed her to America because they were in love and were married in NYC. I have not yet been able to confirm the Messina connection. I do not see information on them in Ellis island. Any ideas on where else I could look? Mille grazie a tutti. Christy

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Farruggio-Romano connections

Postby adelfio » 09 Mar 2015, 14:21

Welcome to IG website is this your Charles Farruggio U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 for Charles Farruggio
PG LINK TO RECORD
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1002/NY ... turnRecord

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 09 Mar 2015, 17:42

The name Farruggio, or more commonly, Farruggia, is generally found further south in Sicily, in Agrigento and Ragusa provinces in particular. OTOH, Romano is very common throughout the island. Maybe Charles (or his father) moved up to Messina.

cgotwo01

Postby cgotwo01 » 09 Mar 2015, 23:47

Thank you both for your replies. Thank you for finding the draft card. I have saved it to my ancestry file. Genoa is different than the family story, but I don't have much to go on, so it could be true. I wish I could find obituary entries for my great grandparents. It would definitely help.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 10 Mar 2015, 14:39

Maybe Charles (Calogero) Farruggio was from Castrofilippo a town in the Province of Agrigento which is written in the World War II Draft Registration. Farruggio and Romano are found in the town of Castrofilippo. Did Charles have any siblings?
I did find a birth record for a Calogero Farruggio son of Giuseppe Farruggio and Angela Gagliano born 1886 Jan 5th in Castrofilippo but cant verify this is the right person

PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244069701

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

cgotwo01

Postby cgotwo01 » 10 Mar 2015, 23:26

Hello again. I think your theory about Calogero is very interesting. I do not know if Charles had any siblings. The only solid piece of evidence I have on Charles and Frances is the 1920 and 1930 NYC census. I think it is possible that I found the correct 1940 census as well. I will look for immigration at Ellis Island on Calogero. Thank you for the help! Christy

Return to “Italian Genealogy”