Stato di Famiglia Certificato Storico

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
February
Rookie
Rookie

Stato di Famiglia Certificato Storico

Postby February » 10 Mar 2015, 02:13

I'm confused about this record. How is it requested? Do I request it for a married couple and just get data on them and their children? Or can I request the family history of an individual and receive information on his parents as well as his wife and children?

Is it free like birth records? Is it less likely to get a response from a commune with a request for this record?

I'd greatly appreciate any help in applying for this record from Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino for Carmine Ferraioli, born October 7, 1874.

Thank you for any help.

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Stato di Famiglia Certificato Storico

Postby Anizio » 10 Mar 2015, 02:17

It is requested by stating who you want to be the Capo (head of the family) and then it tracing the descendants essentially, at a cost of usually 5 euros per name. It will include the names of the Capo's parents, and then the Capo's descendants including their wives and children depending on how thorough the researcher is. It should include birth dates, and may include some death and marriage dates.

It is not free. It can actually be expensive, just imagine they pull 25 names at 5 Euros a person...it adds up. It is not less likely to get a response unless your information on the Capo us not sufficient/specific enough.

Definitely get help wording a letter. Google translate is not enough. Also be sure you are willing to pay the potential costs before you request it. If you are lucky, they will offer it to you for free, but not likely.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 10 Mar 2015, 15:00

The family certificate is a great thought but most comunes don't respond to it. Its kinda a pipe dream for a researcher. Your better off if possible get film records if available and do your own research. What name and town and years are you searching for?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 10 Mar 2015, 17:15

I don't believe the records are online, Marty. It's Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino. I had hoped to get records for Carmine Ferraioli, born Oct. 7, 1874 and his family, including parents, siblings and children. If I understand it correctly, that could be accomplished by naming his father, Antonio Ferraioli, born circa 1844, as the "Capo". But if I'm unlikely to get a response because of the time involved in tracking down such a large number of people, perhaps I'm better off asking for Carmine to be the "Capo"? That would be a very small number of people - a later date - or would they not even bother to look? It's very disappointing to wait for records that never arrive!

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 10 Mar 2015, 18:53

Why don't you ask Pippo what he would charge for the birth act of Carmine Ferrajoli , born Oct. 7, 1874 and the marriage act of Antonio Ferrajoli e Nocera Carolina Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino it would give you the parents info
Have you gone through the military records just listing the name Ferrajoli and searching for the same parents theres a lot of pages on the bottom to search
PG LINK
http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... _pageNum=1

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 10 Mar 2015, 19:06

adelfio wrote:The family certificate is a great thought but most comunes don't respond to it. Its kinda a pipe dream for a researcher. Your better off if possible get film records if available and do your own research. What name and town and years are you searching for?

Marty

Don't just discount it because adelfio says so. Try.
I have been successful and I know others who both have, or would have been except that they did not give enough information.

It is the Stato Civile official's job to do this work when requested (by Italian law), and when they don't it is usually because you did not provide enough information or because it is too difficult given the particular family in question.

Advice on what wont work should never be listened to, especially when there are others who did not fail. Everyone has anecdotes, and frankly if I listened to other people on what isn't possible or or theories on what something is a lot of times, even on here, I wouldn't have been able to trace some of my lines as far as I did. People can sound confident, but they are just people. Try.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 10 Mar 2015, 20:00

I believe it is the official's responsibility to create the Stato d Famiglia for purposes needed. That is to qualify for benefits offered by the town of Government. I don't believe it is required by Italian law to do it for genealogical research purpose although some do. It mostly depends on the type of record keeping system they have. For example, in some towns a Register of the Population was kept, a page for each family and constantly updated. In others a Family Group sheet exists, but not all of these records survived. Creating the Stato di Famiglia from this is a piece of cake. I do it all the time. If the Capo di Famiglia was the Capo around 1920 then Personal Record cards make it relatively easy to create as long as the surname is not numerous. By all means request one, but understand that if one doesn't appear, it may just be too complicated.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 11 Mar 2015, 02:24

Italysearcher wrote:I believe it is the official's responsibility to create the Stato d Famiglia for purposes needed. That is to qualify for benefits offered by the town of Government. I don't believe it is required by Italian law to do it for genealogical research purpose although some do.

It doesn't matter the purpose. The book I have on genealogy is at home, but there is a law. It is what they are paid to do in the Stato Civile office. Not genealogical per say, but to provide the information they have.

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 11 Mar 2015, 03:07

Thank you all for the feedback. I have quite a bit of information on Carmine - his birth (Oct. 7, 1874), marriage, and military records. The names of his parents (Antonio Ferraioli and Carolina Nocera), his paternal grandfather (Aniello Ferraioli). When his father, Antonio, reported Carmine's birth to the authorities in Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino on Oct. 8, 1874 he was 30 years old. This places Antonio's birth around 1844.

This would seem to be enough information for Sant'Egidio to identify the correct person. When I requested Carmine's birth record from St. Egidio, it only took three weeks to get it. I felt that they were very responsive. I'd like to try to get a Family History record, but am undecided whether to try for information on the whole family with Antonio (b. circa 1844) as Capo, or a partial view of only Carmine's (b. 1874) immediate family by naming him as Capo. Am I correct in assuming that an inquiry with Carmine as the Capo would more likely to get a response? Or are the dates for both recent enough for it not to make a difference between which one to name as Capo?

Would someone be kind enough to help with the wording of a request for the record?

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 11 Mar 2015, 14:09

From the comune of Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino about the Stato di Famiglia Certificato
stato di famiglia
Informazioni generali
Erogazione del servizio :
Riporta la composizione della famiglia anagrafica e cioè: un insieme di persone legate da vincoli di matrimonio, parentela, affinità, adozione tutela o da vincoli affettivi, coabitanti e aventi dimora abituale nello stesso comune.
Si richiede il certificato presso l'ufficio Anagrafe o presso le sedi decentrate .
ATTENZIONE vedi AUTOCERTIFICAZIONE: Questo certificato puo'essere sostituito con una dichiarazione scritta su un normale foglio di carta e presentata o spedita a qualsiasi ufficio pubblico o gestore di pubblico servizio.
Requisiti :
Essere iscritto nel registro anagrafico della popolazione residente del Comune.
Documentazione :
Costo del Servizio :
•lire italiane 500 (Euro 0,26) per il rilascio di un certificato in carta libera

•lire italiane 21.000 (Euro 10,85) per il rilascio di un certificato in carta da bollo
Note :
Tutte le persone risultanti ad uno stesso indirizzo, in una medesima unità immobiliare, risulteranno in un unico stato di famiglia,purche' legate da vincolo di matrimonio,parentela,affinita'
adozione,tutela o da vincoli affettivi.
Ogni stato di famiglia ha un Intestatario Scheda (IS) che è la persona a cui far riferimento per le relazioni fra i vari componenti.

Family status
General information
Shows the composition of the family that is: a group of people related by marriage, kinship, affinity, adoption guardianship or emotional bonds, cohabiting and having their usual residence in the same municipality.
It requires the certificate at the Registry Office.

ATTENTION: This certificate MAY BE replaced with a written statement on a normal sheet of paper and submitted or sent to any public office or manager of a public service.
Requirements:
Be registered in the population register of the resident population of the City.
Cost of Service:
• Italian lire 500 (€ 0.26) for the release of a certified copy
• Italian lire 21,000 (Euro 10.85) for the issuance of a certificate in stamped paper
Notes:
All persons resulting to the same address, in the same housing unit, will result in a single family status, as long as 'linked by the bond of marriage, kinship, affinity'
adoption, guardianship or affection.

Marty

Marty

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 11 Mar 2015, 20:00

Thanks Marty. It looks like a good news/bad news situation. If I understand it correctly, the commune is set up to provide the information - but only to town residents.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”