Help: someone wrongly has my family in their tree.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Help: someone wrongly has my family in their tree.

Postby Anizio » 12 Mar 2015, 21:40

Hello,

I need advice. A person in the United States mistakenly seems to have put my family in their tree.

Both our ancestors are named Assunta Bacchiocchi.
Mine was born in 1865, to Angelo and Maria Bocchini, married Gabriele Fiorelli in Sorbolongo in 1892, and died in 1931. I have all her records. But beyond that, my grandmother who is still alive buried her in Sorbolongo, and I have been to the grave in Italy.

This person in Texas seems to believe her Assunta Bacchiocchi, born in 1873 in "Italy" is mine, and she has confused my ancestors wedding with hers, thus putting Gabriele Fiorelli in her tree as her ancestor. Beyond that, her Assunta Bacchiocchi moved to the United States and died there in 1932, at some point marrying a different man.

So...anyone have experience with someone like this? Someone who has clearly put the wrong person in their tree simply because they have the same name? How do I address this? I don't want the record showing my Assunta Bacchiocchi abandoned her husband and children and fled to the US when she in fact lived to a ripe old age in Italy....

ps. Anyone reading this, take this as a perfect example why similar name is not enough! Always have proof in the records of who someone's parents were.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help: someone wrongly has my family in their tree.

Postby adelfio » 12 Mar 2015, 22:45

Is your tree on ancestry Albero genealogico Carlucci

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 12 Mar 2015, 22:59

Yes. I don't have all of the supporting documentation uploaded onto ancestry yet, but yes it is.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 12 Mar 2015, 23:07

The Green Leave Syndrome
Just message them and explain your research to them. To many people leech on to trees without any work just to say they have this many family members without checking the data......

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 13 Mar 2015, 03:00

My tree on Ancestry is not public, but I've had the same experience, finding my GGF in some other, unrelated person's tree. As far as I could tell, it wasn't even like she had an ancestor with the same name, either. She had one of those mixed-up trees that are all-too-common on Ancestry, with people having children that are older than them, etc. I contacted her and politely explained the true relationships among the people in her tree and pointed out the absurdity of some of what she had. It took a (long) while, but eventually she removed my family from her tree. That's all you can do.

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 14 Mar 2015, 03:56

This problem occurs and some people are non-responsive. I have the same problem, have sent messages on Ancestry.com with explanations and facts from actual civil records. No response and the people are still there. He even took a photo of mine of a 30 year old aunt at the time of the photo and put it on his tree for a person of the same name who died when she was two years old. No point worrying about it.
Worry about hints instead that are shown by ancestry.com that are garbage and/or duplicates and avoid accepting them. There's more of them than there are good hints.

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 14 Mar 2015, 08:06

rp76226 wrote:Worry about hints instead that are shown by ancestry.com that are garbage and/or duplicates and avoid accepting them. There's more of them than there are good hints.

I'm not worried about that. I am experienced with genealogy. What concerns me is people abusing my family's memory. But I understand there's only so much to be done.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”