Bernardo Colombo, born Milan, Italy ca.1772

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tarald

Bernardo Colombo, born Milan, Italy ca.1772

Postby Tarald » 12 Mar 2015, 23:20

Bernardo Colombo immigrated to Norway sometime before 1799 (his marriage in 1799 is the first record we have of him). He stated his birthplace to be Milan, Italy, and is said to have arrived in Bergen, Norway from Holland. He earned his citizenship as a merchant and property owner here some time before 1815.

It feels like searching for a needle in a haystack, as I've learned that Colombo is one of the most common last names in northern Italy, and was given to orphaned and found babies there. I really doubt that he was an orphan and suspect that he must have had some starting capital to rise in Norwegian society at that time. But I don't know. He seems to have had education when he arrived.

If he was not an orphan, his parents may have been named Carl and/or Joseph, as his first and only son is called Carl Joseph, and we can't find these names in his wife's family. His mother may have been named Cathrine. His first and only daughter is named Maria Cathrina (the name Maria is found in his wife's family).

In 1815 he is listed as citizen (less than 10% of the inhabitants had a letter of citizenship), merchant and ran an inn ("vertshus", may be more like a pub or restaurant). His wife also belonged to the class of citizens (her father had letter of citizenship as a wine tapster), and had probably her heritage from Germany some generations back.

I have no idea of how or where to start my search and appreciate any help I can get! In Norway, most records are online, some are searchable. How is this for Italy?

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Bernardo Colombo, born Milan, Italy ca.1772

Postby adelfio » 12 Mar 2015, 23:35

Welcome to IG website your task is a difficult one because Milano is both a town and a province and then you would have to find church records Heres some info about Italian records

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Tarald

Postby Tarald » 13 Mar 2015, 09:59

Thank you!
I've got some additional information now; that he emigrated very young from Italy. He was only 17 when he came to Norway/Denmark.
It seems I'll need to move to Milano and use the next years visiting local parishes ;)
(Not really a realistic option, unfortunately.)

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 13 Mar 2015, 18:09

Starting from 1770 the copies of the baptismal records of all the parishes of the Milan Diocese ( comprising the town of Milan and the provinces of Milan and Varese, and parts of to-day Monza-Brianza province) were sent to the Diocesan Archive. But they must be searched by hand, as they are not digitalized . The address is
archivio@diocesi.milano.it
The staff is very helpful, and they do genealogical searches all the time. But, even if you are sure that he was born in the town of Milan, and not in one of the surrounding villages or smaller towns, checking all the parishes will take a lot of time! And , as you are well aware, Colombo is one of the most common lombard surnames, and Carlo one of the most popular names (not to mention Giuseppe).
Also I wouldn't dismiss altogether the idea he was a foundling. Those children were usually sent by the Hospital to be raised by families in the country, and some ended in craftsmen families where they could learn a trade. Also many emigrated as soon as they were of age .
Ciao
Paola :D
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

Tarald

Postby Tarald » 14 Mar 2015, 15:12

Thank you! At least I know where to start my search.
When I found out how young he was when he immigrated, I did wonder why.
So Giuseppe is the Italian form of Joseph? Interesting.
Ciao
Tarald

PeterH_59

Postby PeterH_59 » 24 Apr 2015, 00:55

Tarald,

Bernardo Colombo was my grandmother's great-great grandfather. She gave me a small photo of a monochrome oil portrait of him. Bernardo had raised his grandson/ her grandfather, who was Magnus Osberg, a Norwegian sea captain, who retired to Chicago and remarried, starting a second family late in life. ( circa 1895)

My grandmother told me Bernardo was the younger of two twins, and when he came of age, his slightly older brother was awarded everything, under the rules of 18th century primogeniture- Bernardo was cut out. She said he was a count, or some rank of peerage. Frustrated, he went down to the dock and got on the next boat out, which was headed to Norway.

Does this match what you know? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Curious in Seattle, WA.

Tarald

Postby Tarald » 24 Apr 2015, 02:16

Hi,
Very interesting! Thank you for the information.
Bernardo had two children: Maria Catherine Elisabeth Colombo and Carl Joseph Bernardo. My line stems from Carl. Maria married Magnus Osberg. Here is the baptism for their son Magnus: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb ... 0007608614
I've not traced the family tree forward to find any more relatives in Norway, but it is likely there are some (I know of my sisters, my cousins and second cousins). I have found some information on Bernardo's life in Norway and a little about his wife Barbro Johanne Johansdatter Gierken (that last name has many different spellings, but probably originates from Germany).

Bernardo's death: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb ... 0000916246
Marriage: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb ... 0000125161

You could probably find some more information in my tree here: http://gw.geneanet.org/tsrebel_w?lang=n ... &type=tree
And feel free to ask!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”