E-Mail vs Snail Mail

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
February
Rookie
Rookie

E-Mail vs Snail Mail

Postby February » 16 Mar 2015, 19:53

I sent for birth records from Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino by snail mail 10 weeks ago with no response. I'm going to try again, giving them more information to work with this time. I was wondering if communes are less likely to answer electronic requests. E-mail would certainly cut down on transit time.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: E-Mail vs Snail Mail

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Mar 2015, 20:03

You can use e-mail to send a follow-up letter -

Here is a link to a "Follow-up where no response" in Italian
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... o.response

T.

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 16 Mar 2015, 20:13

Thank you Tessa!

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 17 Mar 2015, 06:22

If you are not getting a reply also consider the possibility that:
1) the information you provided was too unspecific so they ignored it.
2) your Italian was bad, and maybe you need to rewrite with help.

If you're sure neither of those is the problem, following up is not a problem.
I usually get a response faster than you mentioned, however there are times it has taken 6 months for whatever reason for a town to get around to it.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 17 Mar 2015, 17:38

Thanks Anzio. It's pretty frustrating not knowing why there is no response. Did they not receive it? Did I not give them enough info? Did they just not feel like answering?

In this case it wasn't the Italian - I used a letter template provided by the good folk on this forum. And it had worked previously in Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino.

Right now I'm waiting for a response for Military Records for this same individual, Carmine Ferraioli, b. 1902. It's only been a week and I know it's too soon to despair, but another possibility has occurred to me. Carmine Ferraioli b. 1874 in Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino, married a woman from Angri, a neighboring village. If she went home to her mother to have the child, would the birth be listed in the Angri town records? Or would the father have recorded the birth in Sant'Egidio, their place of residence?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Mar 2015, 18:16

February wrote:Right now I'm waiting for a response for Military Records for this same individual, Carmine Ferraioli, b. 1902. It's only been a week and I know it's too soon to despair, but another possibility has occurred to me. Carmine Ferraioli b. 1874 in Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino, married a woman from Angri, a neighboring village. If she went home to her mother to have the child, would the birth be listed in the Angri town records? Or would the father have recorded the birth in Sant'Egidio, their place of residence?

The birth would be recorded in the town in which it occurred, but USUALLY a copy would be sent to the town of residence and would mostly likely appear in the Parte II (supplement) of the book of births.

T.

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 17 Mar 2015, 18:39

So, I might be sending a request to the wrong commune. Even if the birth were listed in the Parte II, is it likely it might it be overlooked when someone requests records?

How would a situation like that impact Military Records? Where would the records of someone who lived in Sant'Egidio, but was born in Angri be listed? I assumed that he would be listed with the class of 1902 from Sant'Egidio.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”