Typos on certificates for citizenship application?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cpaparelli

Typos on certificates for citizenship application?

Postby Cpaparelli » 16 Mar 2015, 22:56

So, six weeks after I ordered a number of birth and death certificates from my local/regional offices, I finally received them--loaded with typos. Long story short, whoever transcribed our records onto the new forms was not a careful speller. These are official documents I paid well in excess of $100 for. The local office's best advice was "we'll call you if we find out you were right." In 200+ years, nobody ever used any of these spellings.

My question is, how stringent are citizenship officers on determining whether or not my application and paperwork is legitimate? So far, these are the only documents with these spellings (or hideously inaccurate pronunciations, for that matter.)--but naturally, they are the *official* ones. This may have set me back months, as if I am denied corrections, I have to appear in front of a judge to appeal the spellings and attempt to acquire a court order for the change.

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Typos on certificates for citizenship application?

Postby carubia » 17 Mar 2015, 03:02

How much of a problem these misspellings will be depends on (1) whose names were misspelled, (2) whether the misspellings were in the given name or surname, (3) how different the wrong spellings are, and (4) the consulate at which you apply for citizenship. Without knowing these details I can't answer your question.

Cpaparelli

Postby Cpaparelli » 19 Mar 2015, 05:23

Misspellings:

- G-gma Giacinta Silvaggi spelled Giucinta
- Salvatore Paparelli spelled Paparella twice on same birth cert (grandfather apparently changed his name from Salvatore to Samuel at some point, but that's an entire other can of worms. No record of when we stopped using that spelling. I won't be tracing that line for citizenship purposes though.) His mother and father are listed as Jennie and Tony instead of full first names as well.
- Elizabeth Huster spelled Muster

I will be going through either Philadelphia or Chicago, as my city has direct flights to both.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 20 Mar 2015, 04:06

What is your line? Your GF is not in your line, so it runs through your GM? And her father?

Giacinta vs. Giucinta just looks like a misreading of someone's handwriting. The final vowel in Salvatore's name would have to fixed if he is in your line. Is this the only document that uses the spelling Paparella?

On which document are the names anglicized to Jennie and Tony? If it's a death cert then it should be OK, but on a birth cert it might be a problem. What are the correseponding Italian names?

Elizabeth's surname would be a problem if she is in your line. If not, on which documents do these spellings occur?

Philly is generally OK with anglicizations of first names. Chicago is stricter. Changes in the spelling of a surname of someone in your line would be a problem at either consulate.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 20 Mar 2015, 11:28

I would try to get your discrepancies corrected as painlessly as possible. I went personally to my commune in Castelli, TE Abruzzo to get a copy of my grand-father's birth certificate. The Sindaco located the information from one of the huge record books and then I watched as the clerk typed up the document on a manual typewriter. In my excitement at being in Italy and visiting my relatives in the commune, I didn't notice until I returned home that there was actually a discrepancy on the birth certificate. Instead of birth year 1893, the clerk had typed 1883. Obviously he wasn't as accurate a typist as I am -- but it happens.

So I decided to scan the incorrect document in an email to the Sindaco so he could see the mistake the clerk made. They replied with an apology and said they were putting a corrected copy in the mail and I received it two weeks later. Of course by being there in person when I asked for the birth certificate, I had established a rapport with the mayor but I don't see why this approach would not work for you if you also email the mayor with the discrepancies and ask for them to be corrected. Good luck.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”