Looking for Giuseppe Biondi, paternal grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for Giuseppe Biondi, paternal grandfather

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 17 Mar 2015, 03:42

In the past, you have all been so kind to help me solve my genealogy puzzles. I hope you can help me with this one.

I am searching for the Italian birthplace of my maternal grandfather, Giuseppe BIONDI and any other information that might available about him there. Very little is known about Giuseppe’s time in Italy and his immigration, because he only lived till his late 30s, all his children were very young, and his widow (who died when I was only 5 years old) rarely spoke of him (she remarried and moved on).

Here is what I know about Giuseppe:
b. 9 October 1887 in Italy.
m. Maria LAVORGNA of Faicchio, Benevento, Italy, 10 May 1908 in New Haven, New Haven, CT. Marriage certificate shows the husband’s name as Joseph BIONDI.
d. 28 January 1926 in New Haven, New Haven, CT. Death index refers to him as Joseph BIONDI. Death certificate refers to him as Giuseppe BIONDI.

In a search for immigration records, I found several “Giuseppe BIONDIs” whose age and year of arrival might be a possible match for my grandfather. FamilySearch shows fewer of them. Ancestry shows several more. Here are three, but my information is weak. These may not be him.

The first man, a single male, age 17, resident of San Salvatore Telesino, Benevento, Italy, who arrived at Ellis Island, NY, US from Naples on 25 May 1904 via the ship Konigin Luise. He is my first choice to be my paternal grandfather because he lived in southern Italy, because his destination was New Haven, CT, where my paternal grandmother lived and where she married, and because he immigrated to be with Pasquale Sandella (a name I’ve heard before).

The second man, a single male, age 21, resident of Colvanico, southern Italy, who arrived at Ellis Island, NY, US from Messina on 19 October 1908 via the ship San Giovanni. This man is my second choice to be my paternal grandfather because he lived in southern Italy, but I know of no other evidence that would point to him as the right choice.

The third man, a single male, age 17, resident of Modena, who arrived at Ellis Island, NY, US from Havre [assume France] on 23 October 1903 via the ship La Lorraine. I do not believe this man is my paternal grandfather, because he appears to be from central Italy…but who knows.

My paternal grandfather appears in the 1910 US Census as Joseph BEONTU. He says he immigrated to the US in 1909 (but he and grandma were married in the US in 1908). In the 1920 US Census, my paternal grandfather appears as Joseph BONDE. He says he immigrated to the US in 1908 (the same year that he and grandma married). My grandfather died in 1926.

Giuseppe's parents:
Father - Pasquale BIONDI
b. 16 May 1870 in Italy
d. 11 June 1935, East Haven, New Haven, CT

Mother - Maria Antonetta GIANNOTTI (also shown as Maria Antonio/Antonia GIANNOTTI)
b. ~1859 in Italy
d. 19 April 1931 in East Haven, New Haven, CT

Giuseppe's Children (all born in CT):
Mary B. (b. 28 October 1909)
Pasquale (b. 12 May 1911)
Carmoline (b. 22 January 1914)
Isolina (b. 23 February 1915)
Rita (b. 7 June 1917)
Anthony (my father; b. 17 January 1919)
Giuseppe C. (b. 1921)
Raffaele F. (b. 5 May 1923)

I hope that you can point me in the right direction to find my paternal grandfather, but I will understand if it is too complicated for this forum. Both Giuseppe and my paternal grandmother died before I was born. I would really love to know something about them. But, for now, I’ll focus on Giuseppe. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Kindest regards,
Clara
Researching Asti, Biella, Torino, Benevento. Surnames: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Gioa, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotti, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiurentino.

Clara "Claire"

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Giuseppe Biondi, paternal grandfather

Postby adelfio » 17 Mar 2015, 15:17

I would try sending for the birth record from San Salvatore Telesino, Benevento
The only thing on his U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 for Giuseppe Biondi his birthdate is 1885 Oct 9th
PG LINK TO RECORD
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... turnRecord

I am pretty sure Giuseppe Biondi mothers surname is Iannotti
Heres a request for his birth act by mail send no money

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di San Salvatore Telesino
Via Gioia n.1
82030 San Salvatore Telesino (BN)
Italy
Attn: Filomena Muto

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Giuseppe Biondi di Pasquale

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da San Salvatore Telesino. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Giuseppe Biondi
Nome e cognome del padre: Pasquale Biondi
Nome e cognome della madre: Maria Iannotti
Luogo di nascita: San Salvatore Telesino
Data di nascita: 1885-1888
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Attn: Filomena Muto

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 17 Mar 2015, 23:21

Thank you for your reply, Marty. And, thank you too for finding Giuseppe's US WWI Draft Registration Card. I had never seen that before. I see that you are relying more on the date he provided to a government official at that time than on the birthdate that appears on other documents of his. Thank you for catching that. I particularly appreciate the letter to submit to local officials in search of Giuseppe's birth act.

Why did you pick the particular jurisdiction to write to? Was it because of my words? Before I send it, I will double check to ensure that I have not overlooked anything. I will report back to you.

Also, why do you believe that the surname of Giuseppe's mother is IANNOTTI rather than GIANNOTTI? The name GIANNOTTI appears on Giuseppe's death certificate, on her husband Pasquale's death certificate, and on her own death certificate (as the surname of her father, Carlo GIANNOTTI). I appreciate your sharing your thinking with me; it is helping me learn.

Also, a question about immigration manifest records. Years ago, before these records were put online, I did a lot of research at the National Archives in Washington, DC. At that time, I found an immigration ship's manifest for Giuseppe's wife, Maria LAVORGNA, on microfiche. I transcribed and cited the information. Within the past few days, I went online to find a digital image of that manifest. I was surprised to see it was not there. There was no record of Maria's ship or her on the date she sailed and arrived. I was shocked. Is this common?

Again, thanks for your help, Marty. I will write later, once I've double-checked my immigration data for Giuseppe. I really appreciate your willingness to help me along.

Clara (Claire)
Researching Asti, Biella, Torino, Benevento. Surnames: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Gioa, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotti, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiurentino.

Clara "Claire"

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 18 Mar 2015, 17:15

Adelfio -

I reviewed every reasonable immigration record for men with the name "Giuseppe Biondi". I examined age, place of residence, destination, and person to be visited to find the best match. Yes, the young man from San Salvatore Telesino is the only good choice. I will send the letter immediately to inquire about his birth act.

Also, thank you again for the link to Giuseppe's WW I Registration. The address on the document is the place where my dad was born. Such a wonderful find!

I will let you know what I hear back from San Salvatore Telesino.

Clara "Claire"

Clara "Claire"

telesino

Postby telesino » 09 Sep 2015, 21:34

Ianotta/i is a surname found in San Salvatore Telesino civil records for the 1800's period.

telesino

Postby telesino » 10 Sep 2015, 02:14

since the microfilm records for SST available thru the LDS stop in 1860, i could not see Pasquale's birth record. there were two Biondi families in SST during the 1820-1870 period having children, one is likely your ancestor IF the family was in SST at that time:

(1) Raffaele (born around 1815) and Angela Votto, and
(2) D. Giuseppe (born around 1825) and D. Elisabetta Cassella.

i did not find either Raffaele or D. Giuseppe in the earlier birth records. You will have to write to SST to get a copy of Pasquale's birth record to verify his parents Sorry i could not be of more help.

Tommaso

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 22 Mar 2016, 05:56

Adelfio & Telesino -

I am sorry for the very large delay in posting. I have had some health challenges over the past year, but am much better now.

I have found my Giuseppe Biondi. Giuseppe's parents are Pasquale Biondi and Maria Antonetta/Antonia Giannotti. Pasquale immigrated first. In 1897, his wife (under the somewhat altered and maiden name Mariantonia Giannetta) immigrated to join her husband along with several of their children: my Giuseppe and siblings Lucia, Filomena, Giovanni, and Angelarosa. Each of the children used their mother's maiden name -- not their father's surname -- as their surname...thus the difficulty in finding Giuseppe on immigration records. Through this record and related documents, I am able to confirm that my Giuseppe was born NOT in San Salvatore Telesino, but rather in Faicchio (a comune that has produced many of my father's family).

Here is the immigration record for the family.

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Again, thank you both for all your help and encouragement! I appreciate it very, very much!

Clara (aka Claire)

Clara "Claire"

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 22 Mar 2016, 14:33

In case you want to send this email for Giuseppe Biondi birth record in Faicchio
You can also view for free civil records of the town of Faicchio (Benevento), 1809-1860 records at a Family History Center
These images are viewable To signed-in members of supporting organizations.When using the site at a family history center. The films with the camera next to them can be researched on a computer at the family history center near you
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

email:anagrafe@comune.faicchio.bn.it

Ufficio di Anagrafe-Stato Civile
Comune di Faicchio
Via Regina Elena,40
82030 Faicchio (BN)
Italy

Attn:ANTONIETTA TERESA GRANDE

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Giuseppe Biondi di Pasquale

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Faicchio . Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Giuseppe Biondi
Nome e cognome del padre: Pasquale Biondi
Nome e cognome della madre: Maria Giannotta
Luogo di nascita: Faicchio
Data di nascita: 1885-1886
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 22 Mar 2016, 18:22

As always, thank you, Marty. I appreciate so many kind people helping me along in my search. I am thrilled to know so much more than my parents knew about their Benevento and Asti ancestors. I just wish they were alive, so that I could share all of this wonderful information with them. They would be so happy!

Clara "Claire"

Clara "Claire"

Return to “Italian Genealogy”