Looking for help with my Great Grandfather's info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ermilioresearch

Looking for help with my Great Grandfather's info

Postby ermilioresearch » 22 Mar 2015, 21:55

Hi, I've only been researching since 2010 and trying to find my Italian family since 2014 so I have no clue where to really start. Every record I fond my great Grandpa in has given him a different variation of the name the family has used in more recent times, so I need suggestions as to what possible names to search for and possible areas to look in as well. I will list what I have found for him and his wife:

Joseph Ermilio was born Nov 5, 1878 in Italy. Per the 1910 US Census he arrived in 1895/96. Feb 21, 1904 he married Liberata Delucca in Hazelton, Pa using the last name of ARMENIO. In the 1910 Census he is listed with the name of ARMENIA, in 1920 he's listed as ERMINIO, in 1930/1940 and his death record in 1951 all in Chicago, Il he is listed as ERMILIO. He had a brother named Ralph who settled near him in Chicago at some point, but have found no records for him at all. He also had a brother named Rocco Louis who settled in New york with a supposed arrival date of 1905/07.

Liberata Delucca Ermilio was born Nov 12, 1880 in Villamagna, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy. She arrived in the US with her mother and sister in Philedelphia, Pa on Sept 11, 1903.

Family stories say that Joseph grew up right over the mountain from Liberata and that's supposedly how they met and why they married so quickly after her arrival.

In an Ancestry.com forum someone has his parents listed as Joseph and Lucille but I can't prove that as his death certificate has father listed only as Ermilio and mother as unknown.

What would be some possible spellings to search for for Joseph? On his arrival would he have gone by Joseph or Guiseppe? If he lived near Liberata before he came to the US, what would be some possible towns for him to have been born/lived in? What possible ports would he have departed from in Italy and where would he have possibly arrived at? Would all the siblings really have arrived at different times with the youngest coming 1st?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Verna Simmons

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Looking for help with my Great Grandfather's info

Postby Robin B Mc » 22 Mar 2015, 23:32

Don't use the census records to get an accurate name spelling, it wasn't a priority on the census so often, the enumerator just took a guess at the spelling. His marriage or death record is most likely to be accurate - the marriage record might be more likely to be the original.

Joseph would be Giuseppe and on a passenger list, he would likely be listed as Giuseppe.

It would probably be best if you looked for his naturalization papers, if he did naturalize (check census records to see if he did) to tell you the town he was born in, rather than trying to guess at a town near mountains or whatnot.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Mar 2015, 02:00

Ermilio and Erminio do not exist in Chieti Province, but D'Ermilio is found there in the comune of Vasto. :-)
You will also find D'Erminio and D'Ermiliis in Pescara (comune and Province) in Abruzzo Region.

ALSO... Arminio exists in Chieti Province in the Comune of Vasto.
AND... Armenio exists in the Abruzzo Region.

T.

ermilioresearch

Postby ermilioresearch » 23 Mar 2015, 03:32

I did a wildcard search for Giuseppe Arme** since he used Armenio for his marriage record in Hazelton. It came back with numerous results but the only one that was with an arrival date from BEFORE he got married was in 1902 and that also gave me a possible draft card record for WW1. The Draft card is Josephs as it's the same birthdate and he lists my Great Grandma as his contact/next of kin.

The thing that is making me doubt the passenger manifest is that it says he came from Bovalino, Reggio di Calabria, Calabria, Italy. I know that Chieti is near to Naples (well on opposite coasts anyway) but would Naples be the port someone from Calabria used? It also looks like they have his final destination as somewhere in Ohio. There was a Giuseppe Armenio that came over in 1899 but from the records his birthdate is wrong and it looks like he stayed in NY.

I haven't been able to find any naturalization records for Joseph that would fit his birthdate or were anywhere near his arrival date so maybe he didn't go through the process.

I attached the 1902 passenger list, Giuseppe is last line of the record (line 30)
Giuseppe Armeni Immigration 1902.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Verna Simmons

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Mar 2015, 07:21

The Giuseppe in the manifest indicates he is married.

T.

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Robin B Mc » 23 Mar 2015, 18:06

ermilioresearch wrote:I haven't been able to find any naturalization records for Joseph that would fit his birthdate or were anywhere near his arrival date so maybe he didn't go through the process.

A lot of naturalization records aren't available online. But there are naturalization records for Luzerne County, PA available on microfilm:

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Like I said, if you check the census records, they will tell you whether he naturalized or not. I had a look and the 1910 census isn't much help since it wrongly says he was born in PA so there's no immigration/naturalization data. However, the 1920 census says he naturalized in 1901. Hopefully, that's fair accurate since the collections on microfilm only seem to go up to 1906, and then one collection jumps to 1912.

I would start by ordering the declarations of intent index - that will tell you the file number of his declaration of intent and knowing that, you can order the reel that contains that file number. The declaration of intent often names the town the petitioner was born in.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”