Great Great Grandmother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lparrinelli

Great Great Grandmother

Postby lparrinelli » 23 Mar 2015, 18:50

I was hoping that someone could offer me some assistance or guidance. I can't seem to locate any information on my Great Great Grandmother. This is what I know. Her name was Isabella Valentino, we are assuming she was born around 1870, she married Vincenzo Michello, who was born April 26, 1866 in Stigliano Italy. They had two children born in Italy, Rosaria on Dec 24, 1889 and Nicholas (around 1899) who I don't have an exact birth date for and I also can't confirm what city the children were born in. I have tracked Vincenzo arriving at Ellis Island in 1903 however I can not find arrivals for Isabella or the children. Eventually I am able to track the children through the US Census but the spelling of their last name has now changed to Megello. (Even with the change in spelling I was unable to find them at Ellis Island.) Vincenzo has kept the Michello spelling and in 1905 was remarried. I want to assume that Isabella died because divorce was not the norm. LOL

Sorry if that was a lot of information at one time. :D

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you - Lisa

OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Great Great Grandmother

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 23 Mar 2015, 20:59

Have you tried to locate your ancestors under the various spellings using Castle Garden, a site that contains millions of immigration records from 1820-1892, when Ellis Island opened? I found a number of my hard-to-find immigrants there. Here's the SteveMorse One Step search app for Castle Garden.

http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/cg.html

Could be that your Vincenzo made several trips before the one that turns up at Ellis.

In the census records for the children, who is listed at Head of Household and spouse? Where? Link? Have you been able to track down a census record for Vincenzo? Where? Link?
Researching Frinco

OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 23 Mar 2015, 21:19

Here is immigration record for Rosario 8yo, Stigliano.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... =passenger
Researching Frinco

lparrinelli

Postby lparrinelli » 23 Mar 2015, 21:24

Thank you I was unaware of Castle Garden and I am searching now. Rosaria was a Michello her Mom was Isabella Valentino so that record is not her.

I found Vincenzo on the census but he was already remarried so Isabella was not included and neither were Rosaria and Nicholas.

OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 23 Mar 2015, 21:28

Perhaps, if the parents divorce, the children retain mother's maiden name. Also, this Rosario was from Stigliano. Rosario's age is appropriate. Read the ship manifest. This record was obtained through search for Rosario Valentino on Stevemorse one-step gold for Ellis. In your first post, you said you found the children on a census. Where?
Researching Frinco

lparrinelli

Postby lparrinelli » 23 Mar 2015, 21:54

Rosaria was my Great Grandmother and at some point the spelling of her last name was changed to Megello...even though her Dad Vincenzo kept Michello. I have located her marriage certificate, her death certificate and have found her on the 1920, 1930 and 1940 Census. She got married in NYC in 1906. I don't have any info from her birth in Italy up until her marriage. Her Mom's name is listed on the marriage certificate and that's how I started to hunt for her mother. Isabella Valentino.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 23 Mar 2015, 22:25

Shipmanifest for Rosaria Michiello age 16 and Nicola Michiello age 5 in 1906 coming from Aliano, Matera to see their father Vincenzo lines #17 and #18

PG LINK TO RECORD
http://libertyellisfoundation.org/passe ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

lparrinelli

Postby lparrinelli » 23 Mar 2015, 23:31

This is wonderful !!! Thank you soooo much !

Now I just have to track down Isabella.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 24 Mar 2015, 04:06

Isabella Valentino died in Aliano on July 31, 1904 at the age of 42. She was a peasant living in Aliano but had been born in Cirigliano (not Stigliano) and was the daughter of Nicola Valentino, a barrel maker living in Aliano and Rosaria Gravinese, also living in Aliano. She was the wife of Vincenzo Michilli. She died in the house at #37 via Mercato.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350017302

Erudita

lparrinelli

Postby lparrinelli » 24 Mar 2015, 05:34

Amazing !!! Thank you sooooo very much !!! I have been looking for such a long time and you found this information so quickly. This shows the difference between an expert and a novice. Do you recommend using Family Search Civil Registration? I was not familiar with that search function. I see that it says deaths, births and weddings, do all city or towns in Italy have a listing like this? Would I be able to find marriages this way?

Sorry to ask so many questions I'm trying to learn as much as I can from people who have a strong understanding.

Thank you again
Lisa

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 24 Mar 2015, 14:25

Currently there are a limited number of years for the towns in Matera Province on familysearch.org. It is possible to view records for earlier years but that currently involves microfilm rental and is very expensive and time consuming. Yes, there should be birth, death, and marriage records but possibly not for all years. What specific marriage are you searching for?

Also eventually the earlier years should be online at a different website-

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... SearchScan

Erudita

lparrinelli

Postby lparrinelli » 24 Mar 2015, 16:36

Erudita

Thank you. Now that you gave me information about Isabella I was going to look for her marriage info and I was also going to see if I could find information about her parents. All of my relatives come from Italy so I wanted to use Family Search to see if they had information on other regions of Italy. I belong to Ancestry but I find that the information on Italians is not really that good. Plus once they arrive in the United States the spelling of the surnames seems to go crazy. :roll: I know it was a language issue but wow sometimes I can't believe how the staff transcribed the names. It makes it challenging when you don't have details other than name and approximate age. Meeting people here like you has been incredibly helpful and very educational.

Thank you again
Lisa

Return to “Italian Genealogy”