Is Madallena Gaspardone my 2nd gg-mother?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Is Madallena Gaspardone my 2nd gg-mother?

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 23 Mar 2015, 20:17

I apologize in advance for such a long post, but I want to show what I know and that I've tried to do as much as I can independently.
----
I am having trouble determining if Maddalena Gaspardone (wife of Gioachino Goia) is my 2nd great grandmother. I hope that someone would be willing to take a look at the research I’ve done and point me in the right direction to continue. I greatly appreciate your help.
----
My maternal grandmother is Clara Cantino (b. 8 August 1884, Frinco). She married and died in New Haven Co., Connecticut, USA.

Grandmother Clara’s parents are:
--Francesco Cantino (b. circa 1834, Frinco; m. unknown; d. 26 February 1893, Frinco).
--Antonia Goia (b. circa 1835; d. unknown). Gioachino Goia is Antonia's father. I believe that Madallena Gaspardone may be Antonia's mother, but am having trouble proving it. If she is, then Madallena is my 2nd great grandmother.

Here is my research:

From what I was told many years ago by now deceased family members, and have verified now in Italian records, Francesco Cantino and Antonia Goia had 6 children:

--Rosa Giuseppina Maria (b. 7 October 1874, Frinco; m. 10 February 1900, Frinco, to Michele Domenico Rampone; d. unknown).

Rosa’s birth record mentions her grandfather Gioachino, but not her grandmother.

Rosa’s marriage banns mention neither of her grandparents.

I cannot find Rosa’s death record.

--Vincenzo Marcello “Cento” (b. 15 August 1876, Frinco; m. never married; d. 16 January 1946, Frinco).

Vincenzo’s birth record mentions neither of his grandparents.

Since Vincenzo did not marry, there are no marriage act and marriage banns to examine.

I cannot find Vincenzo’s death record.

--Desiderio “Dede” (b. circa 1854, Frinco; m. unknown; d. unknown).

I cannot find Desiderio’s birth record, marriage, and death records to examine.

--Giuseppe (Joseph) “Ping” (b. 22 March 1872, Frinco; m. 19 August 1899, Frinco; d. unknown).

Giuseppe’s birth record mentions his grandfather Gioachino, but not his grandmother.

I cannot find the appropriate marriage banns and marriage act to examine.

I cannot find Giuseppe’s death record.

--Enrichetta (b. 18 July 1867, Frinco; m. unknown; d. unknown).

Enrichetta’s birth record mentions her grandfather Gioachino, but not her grandmother.

I cannot find Enrichetta’s marriage banns and marriage act or death record to examine.

--Clara Elvira (my maternal grandmother, discussed above).

None of my grandmother Clara’s documents mention her grandparents.
----
Also, I came across a death act for a woman named Luigia Goia (d. 8 October 1910, Frinco. Luigia’s death act mentions her parents as Gioachino Goia and Madallena Gaspardone. ). I think that Luigia Goia may be Antonia Goia’s sister. If they are, then Madallena is my 2nd great grandmother.

Finally, the Tribunale index 1905-1915 references a death record for an Antonia Goia at 1915, record #25, but there is no Pubblicazioni volume for that year. If I could get that record, I believe it would tell me if Antonia and Luigia are sisters and share the same parents. If they do, then Madallena is my 2nd great grandmother.

I think the main problem I face in my research is likely the lack of key documents, because their dates fall outside of the documents available online. If this is the case, I would appreciate your advising me what to do next. If you need links to particular documents, please let me know, and I will post them for you.

Again, thank you very much!
Researching Asti, Biella, Torino, Benevento. Surnames: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Gioa, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotti, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiurentino.

Clara "Claire"

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Is Madallena Gaspardone my 2nd gg-mother?

Postby adelfio » 23 Mar 2015, 23:16

Looking at your research was Clara Cantino b. 8 August 1884, Frinco born in 1879?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 23 Mar 2015, 23:39

Her family claims 1884, but I believe 1879. They were always sensitive about her age, being older than "Pa" (aka Marcello). And, all the other data agrees (parents, siblings, etc.).
Researching Asti, Biella, Torino, Benevento. Surnames: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Gioa, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotti, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiurentino.

Clara "Claire"

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Mar 2015, 15:30

How did you get your info?
Giuseppe (Joseph) “Ping” (b. 22 March 1872, Frinco; m. 19 August 1899, Frinco parents were Gioacchino Cantino and Maria Carpignano daughter of Giuseppe Carpignano
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,238842201

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 24 Mar 2015, 16:16

Thank you for your reply, Marty -

This is the birth record I pulled for Giuseppe "Ping" Cantino (Record #16). It is different from yours.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,238842201

This record shows that Ping's father was Francesco Cantino (which I know to be true) and that Francesco's father is Vittore. I believe this to also be true, because both Francesco's name and that of his eldest son Desiderio appear on the death record for Vittore. And, Ping's record shows that his mother is Antonia Goia; but, no grandmother's name is given.

Marginal notes on Ping's birth record allude to a marriage, but I was unable to find either banns or a marriage act for them. Also, the notes confused me, because the name of the girl was apparently Linda. Linda seems like an unusual name in Italy for that time period.

Here is Vittore's death record (Record #47).

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,238900101

Do these look correct to you, Marty?

Marty, if you would like me to post other links that I used, please let me know, so it will be easier for you to review my work.

Thank you.

Clara "Claire"

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Mar 2015, 18:31

Sorry Thank you for the right record
Giuseppe Cantino married Linda Pasquaelli 1899 Aug 19th in Valenza a town in Province of Alessandria

Marty

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Mar 2015, 18:54

Lets try this request for that death record

email:anagrafe@comune.frinco.at.it

Comune di Frinco
Via San Firmino 1
14030 Frinco (AT)
Italy

ATTN: PATRIZIA TRENTO
OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di morte o l’estratto completo dell’atto di morte di Antonia Goia

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Frinco. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Antonia Goia
Nome e cognome del marito: Francesco Cantino
Nome e cognome del padre: Gioacchino Goia
Nome e cognome della madre: Maddalena Gaspardone
Luogo di morte: Frinco
Data di morte: 1915 (indice#25)
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty

Marty

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 24 Mar 2015, 19:28

Thank you for your thoughtful review of my work. I will request Antonia's death record, as you have suggested.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a death record for Luigia Goia (1910/#19) that identifies her parents as deceased Gioachino Goia and deceased Maddalena Gaspardone. Just found an earlier death record for Placida Goja (1895/#27) with the same deceased parents, Gioachino and Maddalena. So, we know that at least they are related. Perhaps, we will find that Antonia is too.

In the 1871 Pubblicazioni volume, I found a death record for Gioachino Goia, thinking that he might be my Gioachino, but I do not think he is. Would you mind taking a look at his death record? While it gives Gioachino's deceased parents, I believe it lists Gioachino's spouse as Lucia...can't read her surname.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,238888801

Thank you so much for all your help, Marty. It is very much appreciated!

Clara "Claire"

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Mar 2015, 20:22

Looks like Gioanni Gaspardone husband of Anna Graziano

Marty

Marty

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 24 Mar 2015, 22:36

Hi !
n. 13 I read Gioachino Goja, husband of Lucia Rossatto
:D
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 25 Mar 2015, 00:46

Thank you, Paola! :D A Goiachino Goia/Goja is my 2nd great grandfather and father to Antonia, who is my 1st great grandmother. One Goiachino is married to Lucia Rossatto (as you stated); the other Goiachino is married to Maddalena Gaspardone. I'm trying to match one of these couples as parents to Antonia. Since there are currently no online records that will answer that question, Marty has recommended that I request a copy of Antonia's birth record. I can't wait to find the answer! Thanks again for your help!

Clara "Claire"

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 25 Mar 2015, 09:52

Hi Clara
In small villages like Frinco there could be more than one person with the same name and surname. So if you ask the comune for documents, give them only the info you are absolutely sure of, and keep it simple and short
I would only ask for the death record (Copia integrale dell'atto di morte) of Antonia Goja, daughter of Gioachino Goja and wife of Francesco Cantino, who probably died in Frinco in 1915.
This document will give you the name of her parents and her dob.
If she was born before 1866 the Comune will not have her birth record, (atto di nascita) because the record keeping for the Kingdom of Italy began only in 1866.

So, using Marty's template and making it shorter :D

email:anagrafe@comune.frinco.at.it

Comune di Frinco
Via San Firmino 1
14030 Frinco (AT)
Italy

Alla cortese attenzione di PATRIZIA TRENTO

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di morte o l’estratto completo dell’atto di morte di Antonia Goia

Gentilissima Signora,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati che erano originari di Frinco.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per l'atto di morte di

Nome e cognome : Antonia Goia
Nome e cognome del marito: Francesco Cantino
Nome e cognome del padre: Gioacchino Goia

Da quanto mi risulta Antonia dovrebbe essere morta a Frinco nel 1915 (indice#25)
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 19 Mar 2016, 21:01

Hi, Paola.

Sorry that it has been so long. I have been sick this past year and didn't return to my research until just recently. About a week ago, I sent the email that you and Marty suggested. Do you know about how long it takes to receive a response? I have seen nothing yet. Thank you so much for your help and guidance. Thank you too, Marty.

Claire

Clara "Claire"

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 22 Mar 2016, 22:16

Hi, Paola & Marty!

A quick question. I emailed Frinco about 10 days ago regarding the death certificate for my great grandmother, Antonia Goia. So far, I have not received a response. Is this typical? Or, does it mean that they will probably never respond? Thanks very much!

Clara "Claire"

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 03 May 2016, 23:59

My good friends, I am so very happy!!! Today, the Atti di Morte for my 1st great grandmother, Antonia Goia, arrived. She was born in Frinco, AT, Italy, c. 1836. While I had been able to find records showing Antonia's father (my 2nd great grandfather) as Gioacchino, I was never able to find any document referencing her mother (my 2nd great grandmother) by name. I found several records for two women (Placida and Luigia), who I believed to be Antonia's sisters. Both named Gioacchino Cantino as father and Maddalena Gaspardone as mother, but without Antonia's death record I couldn't prove that they were Antonia's sisters or that Maddalena Gaspardone was Antonia's mother (and my 2nd great grandmother). Well today, it's official! Antonia's mother is Maddalena Gaspardone and Placida and Luigia are her sisters. That also leads to the identification of my 3rd great grandparents (Maddalena's parents) through other research: Domenico Gaspardone and Catterina Gavello. I am over the moon happy!!!

Officials at Frinco also enclosed several postcards of the area and a book entitled Val Rilate, a community of nearby communes.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help!!!

Clara "Claire"

Return to “Italian Genealogy”