Carrara Family Members

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Aaron952

Carrara Family Members

Post by Aaron952 »

I have been doing extensive research regarding my family and always get stuck when going back to Italy. I am wondering if anyone has records for Frank Catozzi from Carrara, Italy, and moved and died in the US in 1906 in Tennessee, USA. I have been using ancestry.com but no more information is there. Any thoughts would be excellent and would love to know their family, what they did, any information!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Carrara Family Members

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome to the forum! :-)

Is this your Frank Catozzi?
Birth: Nov. 23, 1843, Italy
Death: Jan. 19, 1906
Occupation: Marble Cutter. Killed in a RailRoad accident at Orleans & Broadway. Last residence: 796 Mississippi Blvd.
Burial:
Calvary Cemetery
Memphis
Shelby County
Tennessee, USA
Plot: Chapel Hill-Single Grave Section

What records do you have that give his place of birth as Carrara?

EDIT TO ADD:
Did Frank Catozzi live in Vermont?
Here is a 1900 US Census for Frank Catozzi and two sons, Henry and Alex; and a daughter, Penilde. All born in Italy but immigrated at different times.
Name: Frank Catozzi
Birth Date: Nov 1842
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Proctor, Rutland, Vermont
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1887
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Catozzi 57
Henry Catozzi 25
Alex Catozzi 19
Penilde Catozzi 15

T.
Aaron952

Post by Aaron952 »

I have only found the following information from Ancestry.com, limited amount of sources. I thought Carrara made since because of the marble connection, since other family members (from that side) did marble in Vermont, USA.

Frank Catozzi

Birth

Nov 21, 1842

Carrara, Italy

Death

Jan 19, 1906

Memphis, TN

Family Info

Father

Jacob Catozzi (1820-1880)

Mother

Marie Mariotti (1820-1870)

Spouse

Stella Trescornia (1850-)
Married 1871

Children

Ernestine Eveline (1873-1943)

Henry Claude (1876-1943)

Alex Philip (1881-1962)

Benilde C (1885-1982)
Aaron952

Post by Aaron952 »

Looks like our information is correct/ matches. I have the records showing their daughter, Benilde was born in 1884 in Italy, and must have moved over with her parents in 1887 (per your records). She married Clement Perfetti, and they lived in Rutland, Vermont, until Clement passed away and Benilde was buried in Troy, NY
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Aaron952 wrote:Looks like our information is correct/ matches. I have the records showing their daughter, Benilde was born in 1884 in Italy, and must have moved over with her parents in 1887 (per your records). She married Clement Perfetti, and they lived in Rutland, Vermont, until Clement passed away and Benilde was buried in Troy, NY
I have been checking the records in Carrara for births 1883, 1884, 1885...
I have not found Benilde there. Some of the records are out of order and others do not have indexes. Been trying to go page by page through December and January since the 1900 Census lists her birth as Dec. 1884. (Sometimes if a child is born late in December the birth is recorded in January because the official has closed the book of the previous year.)

Here is the link to Carrara records on Familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043539

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the link to the 10-year index of CATOZZI births in Massa and Carrara for years 1866-1875
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954413001

T.
Aaron952

Post by Aaron952 »

Perhaps they did not come from Carrara. I have only seen Carrara once, with no sources, but assume the marble carving connection was potential. Are there other marble mining cities in Italy that he may have come from? Assuming he learned his trade in Italy before moving to the US
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the arrival manifest for Stella Triscornia with children, Alessandro and Benilde in 1891.
Unfortunately, it does not have a specific last place of residence.
I will continue to search for other sources that may have clues to their birthplace. But in all likelihood, I believe you are correct with Carrara. The surname Triscornia is also found in Carrara and Massa.

Stella Triscornia
New York, Passenger Lists
Name: Stella Triscornia
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 1891
Event Place: New York City, New York, United States
Nationality: Italy
Birth Year (Estimated): 1845
Ship Name: La Bretagne

She is on line 256 with children Alessandro (age 8) and Benilde (age 5) on the lines 257 and 258.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1849782

EDIT TO ADD:
Here is death record index for first child Ernestina - in 1938

Other information in the record of Ernestine Gallopini
from New York, New York City Municipal Deaths
Name: Ernestine Gallopini
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 13 Aug 1938
Event Place: Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United States
Address: 340 - 78th St.
Residence Place: Brooklyn
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Birth Date: 07 Mar 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Burial Date: 16 Aug 1938
Cemetery: St. John's Cemetery
Father's Name: Frank Catozzi
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Stella Tuscornia
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Anthony
Reference ID: cn 16102 , GS Film Number: 2131755

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looks like the family is from CARRARA :-)

Using the above information about Ernestina/Ernesta - I located her birth record.
Birth Act #217
Ernesta Evellina Eugenia Catozzi
Dated 10 march 1873 in CARRARA
Appearing before the official was Francesco Catozzi, son of deceased Iacopo/Jacopo, age 30, sculptor residing in Carrara, to present a female child to whom was given the name Ernesta Evellina Eugenia, and who was orn at 10 PM on the 7th of the current month to is wife, Stella Triscornia, daughter of deceased Lorenzo, [born] at home in Carrara Piazza dell'Erbe #1. Present as witnesses to the recording of the act was Triscornia [of deceased Lorenzo] age 24, and Alessandro d'Sanguinetti of Carlo, age 27, both residents of this town.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349208301

T.
Aaron952

Post by Aaron952 »

That is so cool! Thank you so much! Was being a marble sculptor a common profession in Carrara during that time? I haven't been able to find anything regarding Francesco's father or mother on Ancestry.com either
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Aaron952 wrote:That is so cool! Thank you so much! Was being a marble sculptor a common profession in Carrara during that time? I haven't been able to find anything regarding Francesco's father or mother on Ancestry.com either
I should have translated more appropriately -
his occupation was Scalpellino - which is a Stonemason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld3O2EewM-Q

I have been searching for the marriage record of Francesco and Stella.
No success so far.
Birth records begin (online at familysearch.org) at 1866. So will not be able to find their birth acts. You will need to write to the Comune of Carrara for them.

T.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

Tessa -

This is the Perfetti portion of Aaron's search. In the timeline, it shows that Benilde C. Catozzi married Clement(i) Perfetti in 1910 in Rutland, Vermont. There is lots of other information that Marty and I have found to help this gentleman.

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... logy/33945
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, I saw that :-)
But thanks for posting it!

T.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

:D
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

Hello!
Im hoping this part hasn't died down..as I just found it! Lol
Frank & Stella had 4 children...the youngest being Benilde.
Benilde married Enrico. They were both widows with 2 children ea. When they married..they had an additional 2 children (took me forever to understand the his, hers & ours! Lol) Of the 2 children they had together, the 1st born was Jennie. That is my mothers mom :)
Would love to talk more to cousins :)
Please inbox me (in case I lose this site!) mizfng@sbcglobal.net
* fun side note.
Enrico was a marble carver. From what I heard...the Vermont marble company hired people from Italy. I heard he helped with the pillars at the NY library. Also...my gma gave me an ink well he made ...awesomeness! :)