Galli in Fivizzano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Luca1969

Galli in Fivizzano

Post by Luca1969 »

Hi,

I am trying to identify the birth records of Pietro Galli, born probably around 1892 (February?). He was married to Virginia Galli who was born in Moncigoli a small community next to Fivizzano, I therefore assume I was from there (Galli is common in the area). I know that Pietro came to US and settled in Nevada where he was probably a rancher. In 1917 he joined the American Army and died of tuberculosis in 1919 in New Mexico.

If someone could help me find his records in Italy I would appreciate!

Luca
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Galli in Fivizzano

Post by adelfio »

What was Virginia's maiden name?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Luca1969

Post by Luca1969 »

Hi Marty, unfortunately I do not know her maiden name. I have reason to believe she was never in the US though.

Luca
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Luca,

POSSIBLY your Pietro?
Here is a birth act(#30) for Pietro Antonio Giuseppe GALLI in Fivizzano
Birth date is 16 January 1892 -
Father: Giuseppe Galli, son of deceased Angelo, age 31, laborer
Mother: Maria Domenichelli, his wife, day laborer.
Birth in Fivizanno, South Section
Child was not presented by the father because of the rigor of the season.

Notation in margin gives a marriage in Fivizanno 25 march 1913 to Maria Tacci or Tani
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349333402

T.
Luca1969

Post by Luca1969 »

Thank you for your help!

He could be... Moncigoli is indeed on the Souht of Fivizzano and the birth date is compatible.

I could have confirmation if Maria Tocci was indeed a Maria Virginia Tocci... The Pietro I am looking for emigrated and died in the US but his wife stayed in Italy

Luca
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Moncigoli is a hamlet (frazione) of Fivizzano

The name of Pietro's wife in the record posted by Tessa is Iani (or Iacci).
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote:Moncigoli is a hamlet (frazione) of Fivizzano

The name of Pietro's wife in the record posted by Tessa is Iani (or Iacci).
Hi, Livio :D

I also thought of the first letter as an "I" but only found the Iacci surname in Grosseto Province, and Iani - not at all. :?

Unfortunately, 1913 marriages not available online...

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did Pietro Galli have a brother named Roy Galli ?
1910 census lines#26& 27
PG LINK TO CENSUS
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7884/31 ... turnRecord

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Luca1969

Post by Luca1969 »

Hi, the Pete you have found in the census is not the one I am after. He was born in 1888, there was an old post here about Pete/Pietro Galli

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... alogy/2076

The one I am looking for is the one mentioned in the article from 1931 (settlement of his soldier's life insurance).

The lead from the civil registration sounds promising, if someone could check the wedding of 1913 in the parish would probably solve the mystery

Luca
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Luca1969 wrote:Hi, the Pete you have found in the census is not the one I am after. He was born in 1888, there was an old post here about Pete/Pietro Galli

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... alogy/2076

The one I am looking for is the one mentioned in the article from 1931 (settlement of his soldier's life insurance).

The lead from the civil registration sounds promising, if someone could check the wedding of 1913 in the parish would probably solve the mystery

Luca
Luca,
Unfortunately, the 1913 records are not available online.
You will need to write to the comune to request the record. There is no fee.
You can also try writing to the parish to request a record, but there is more information on the civil record.

You stated that Pietro died in 1919 in New Mexico. If he were married in 1913 in Italy, you should be able to find another arrival or border crossing for him into the US after 1913...

JUST TO CLARIFY...
Here is a World War I Alien Registration for Pietro Galli of Fivizzano, Massa, Italy
DOB is 20 June 1892
He is residing at Mound House, Nevada.
Indicates that he is married, and supports his wife, and parents.
His MILITARY service was 6 months with the ITALIAN army...

This registration is not an elistment in the US Army, it is a type of enumeration of alien residents. It is dated 5 June 1917...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

T.
Luca1969

Post by Luca1969 »

Tessa,

thank you for your help, I knew of the WW1 card which SEEMS his, although the only possible confirmation would come from his wedding. I am also aware that these records are NOT available online, that is why I asked if someone could help me IN Italy. I apologize if I was not clear with this.

So far the civil registration (born January 1892) seem to match with the card (married, arrived in the US after 1910 otherwise he would not have had time to serve in the Italian Army) but the name of his spouse does not match (Maria vs. Virginia) unless she had multiple names I.e. Maria Virginia, the date of birth also is off in the card (no surprises though) and the residence (he was probably resident in Reno)

My source is the Gold Star records published by the adjutant general of Nevada in 1921, Peter Galli died in New Mexico while serving in the Medical Corps (Ambulance CO. 21); he died in Fort Bayard, a military facility treating tuberculosis and he is buried there.

In 1931 his estate (around 2000 USD for his life insurance) was still unassigned, and several ads on the papers were published to find someone with legitimate claims over it. This is a sign that he came in the US alone.

To make it more complex Galli is a fairly common name in central Italy, so there are multiple matches, complicating the scenario.

Thank you all anyways for your help!

Luca