how were copies at tribunali created?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carubia
Master
Master

how were copies at tribunali created?

Postby carubia » 03 Apr 2015, 03:44

Many of the Italian civil records available online are actually taken from copies at provincial courthouses (tribunali) rather than the originals at comuni. How and when were the copies created? Were they created at the same time and by the same official as the originals? It's hard to see how it could be otherwise since they contain the signatures of the people involved. Or were the tribunale copies actually the originals that were just sent there for centralized storage? I don't think that's the case, but if anyone knows differently please let me know.

TerraLavoro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: how were copies at tribunali created?

Postby TerraLavoro » 03 Apr 2015, 04:11

The register books were filled out in two counterparts at the same time as an act was created. In many of the acts, there is language along the lines of, "this act was created according to the law, filled out in both registers, read to the declarant and the witnesses, and signed by all the parties with the exception of so and so who did not know how to write, or was illiterate" etc.

In the case of the birth act of one of my GFs, I asked the comune for a photocopy, then discovered that a copy was available on microfilm at FamilySearch. I have both copies, and the slight differences in handwriting reflect that they are two counterparts made at the same time, one kept in the communal archive, the other sent to the tribunale, and then microfilmed.
TerraLavoro

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 03 Apr 2015, 04:28

Thanks for the response. Now I understand what that meant by "i due registri."

So it's possible the 2 copies could differ due to an error. For example, my GGF's birth record on microfilm has the wrong name for his father, but when I requested an extract of his birth record from the comune it had the correct name. The comune copy also apparently had information on both of his marriages, whereas the tribunale copy had no marginal info.

TerraLavoro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TerraLavoro » 03 Apr 2015, 04:44

Yes possible, but since both were signed by all parties, I think it happened rarely, but of course clerks were busy, exciting events were being recorded...births, deaths etc, so a mistake in one register, but not in another...all possible.

I believe that the registers were sent to the tribunali on a regular schedule, so it makes sense that annotations of life events are much more often present in the register maintained at the comune. Once the register reached the tribunale, it just sat there, unless someone needed it to research something at the courthouse.

If possible, the most complete info can be obtained from "una copia integrale" from the comune's register...but of course I'm sure you know that that is not always feasible.
TerraLavoro

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 03 Apr 2015, 07:08

Actually, I've seen many tribunale copies that had marginal notes added for marriages and deaths, by the tribunale rather than the comune (you can tell because they stamped them). But for a given comune only for certain periods of time do you see this.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”