Finding proof of Italian citizenship of my grandfather and/or his father

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
yoramzara

Finding proof of Italian citizenship of my grandfather and/or his father

Postby yoramzara » 10 Apr 2015, 19:44

My Grandfather was: Yusuf Zara, born in Istanbul Turkey 2.7.22 to Luna Zara and Alber Zara
My grandfather's father was: Alber Zara, born in 25.12.1895 in Varna Bulgaria to Yosef and Zunbul Zara.

They are all Jewish.

I am certain that Alber Zara had Italian citizenship. It is probable that Yusuf Zara had Italian citizenship too. Their ancestors moved to Turkey from Venice.

The family story is that during the second World war Alber Zara who feared Italian or German invasion of Turkey, destroyed all documents regarding his Italian citizenship.

I am looking for proof of Italian citizenship of Alber zara and/or Yusuf Zara.

I suspect such proof might exist in Italy, Turkey, or Bulgaria.

Attached is a family tree.

I am trying to find proof to such citizenship, Can you assist me with this?

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Finding proof of Italian citizenship of my grandfather and/or his father

Postby carubia » 11 Apr 2015, 05:06

Find Alber Zara's Bulgarian birth cert and see who his parents were. Then you'll need to locate his father's birth cert in Venice, if that indeed is where he was born. You'll also have to check with the Bulgarian government that Alber's father did not acquire Bulgarian citizenship before Alber was born. Doing all that would show that Alber was an Italian citizen at birth, but you'd have to continue the process through subsequent generations to get to yourself.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”