Help with my Campagna ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
paulcountry

Help with my Campagna ancestors

Postby paulcountry » 12 Apr 2015, 19:13

Hi all,
I'm making my family tree, and at this time I found Giuseppe Campagna, my 6th generation's ancestor, born 1814~1818 in Saponara (Messina, in Sicily), who was married with Santa Ruggeri (born 1814~1818 in Saponara, like her husband).

They had some sons, one of them is Francesco Campagna (born September 4, 1839 in Saponara) who married Teresa Ruggeri (born March 12, 1849 in Saponara) in 1870 in Piazza Armerina (another Sicilian town).
Teresa's parents were Nicolò Ruggeri (born 1821 ca. in Saponara) and Pasqua Merlino (born 1811 ca. in Saponara)

Can anyone help me to find informations about Giuseppe's parents (his father maybe was called Francesco)?

I'm also looking for parents of Santa Ruggeri to discover she was sister Nicolò (and if so, aunt of Teresa).

Thanks very much in advance

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help with my Campagna ancestors

Postby Robin B Mc » 12 Apr 2015, 21:27

Records for Saponara online or on microfilm only go back to 1824 so getting birth records from before that would require writing to the commune and requesting them (unless they were damaged and lost). However, you should be able to find Giuseppe and Santa's marriage record - when was their first known child born? Start looking for their marriage from that year and backwards. Their marriage record should tell you their parents names.

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Robin B Mc » 12 Apr 2015, 22:37

Okay, I went ahead and checked the marriage records for you from 1830 to 1839, but 1838 is missing and 1837 is badly damaged. So I'm guessing they likely married in 1837 or 1838. So failing that, my next step would be to look through the death records because those will likely provide their parent's names too. Does Francesco's marriage record mention whether any of the parents were deceased?

paulcountry

Postby paulcountry » 13 Apr 2015, 23:01

Thank you very much for your fast reply.
I know that Giuseppe was still alive in 1856, because I found death record of Maria (his another daughter, I discover her now); death record of Giuseppe isn't in Saponara's death record from 1856-1865.

I think he wasn't alive in 1870 (my fhather did'nt shoot a photo of the marriage record of his son Francesco!), but Francesco's marriage was celebrated in Piazza Armerina, so I think death record of Giuseppe is in Piazza Armerina...but, unlike Messina province, Enna archives aren't digitalized...

Sorry for my late reply, I was at work...

Return to “Italian Genealogy”