Surname 'Lodadio' - "Foundling" surname?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
oncemore
Rookie
Rookie

Surname 'Lodadio' - "Foundling" surname?

Postby oncemore » 21 Apr 2015, 20:45

Hello All:

I've discovered an ancestor who was an 'abandoned child'. He was born in 1880s. He was adopted and legitimized... But it was noted his first surname was "Lodadio". I'm not sure if this is an actual surname? Or some variant of a foundling name ala Esposito.. From what I've read, that practice slowed down in the early 1800s..

From what I can gather, Lodadio --> Loda Dio --> Praises God.

I'm still waiting for more information from the commune.. Getting a copy of the adoption records, etc. My brain is just trying to figure out if there might be a findable birth record somewhere, as this is a real surname.. or if my research journey on that line has come to an end, due to unlisted unfindable parents of an abandoned child, given a surname by the church.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Surname 'Lodadio' - "Foundling" surname?

Postby Italysearcher » 21 Apr 2015, 20:56

There is a lot of information on my blog about foundlings you might find interesting.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 22 Apr 2015, 01:25

To oncemore,

This surname appears in my family tree. When I was researching the records of Valguarnera, Enna, Sicily, a man who was born in Barrafranca, Enna, married into my family. The surname in the records was shown as Lo da dio and both of his parents were unknown (ignoti). I took this to mean that the child was "from God".

Bette

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 22 Apr 2015, 01:29

Rome did not have generic surnames for foundlings as they did in other parts of Italy (ie. Fraternale, degli Esposti, Esposito, etc.) In Rome they just made up a surname. When you go through Rome foundling records for 1808-1930, you see they always just made up a name from scratch.

So yes Lodadio was a made up foundling name based on the creativity of the official who assigned his name
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 22 Apr 2015, 14:07

Anizio wrote:Rome did not have generic surnames for foundlings as they did in other parts of Italy (ie. Fraternale, degli Esposti, Esposito, etc.) In Rome they just made up a surname.

Anizio,
I just want to say that "Proietti" is the typical surname for foundlings in Roma.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 22 Apr 2015, 20:31

PippoM wrote:
Anizio wrote:Rome did not have generic surnames for foundlings as they did in other parts of Italy (ie. Fraternale, degli Esposti, Esposito, etc.) In Rome they just made up a surname.

Anizio,
I just want to say that "Proietti" is the typical surname for foundlings in Roma.

No it is not. That word is usually attached as a note/indication that it is a foundling, like in other places in Lazio and Abruzzo, but an actual name is assigned/made up in every case. I have looked through dozens of years of registries in Rome, I have never seen Proietti instead of an assigned surname, only ever in addition to one.

ie. Antonio Sparace, both "given" names, one a name and one a surname, with Proietto as an explanatory note.

Genealogy Text Question.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 28 Apr 2015, 08:29

So, where do you think surname "Proietti" comes from?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 28 Apr 2015, 13:52

Proietti is a surname and in the Lazio region

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”