re:palermo birth indexes 1846/1855

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

re:palermo birth indexes 1846/1855

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 28 Apr 2015, 15:27

looking for a birth record for agostina landino.parents salvatore and rosalia mancuso.most likely in 1854/1855 as she died in new york in 1893 age 38.but i've checked every surname variation of landino possible and find nothing.definitely born in palermo as all her siblings were born there.parents married there in 1839.i believe she was the youngest.children of salvatore and rosalia all appear to have been born between 1840 and 1854/1855.nor can i find a marriage for her,which would have been by 1874 as she immigrated to new york that year with husband antonino caldara.her age was given as 19 then.any suggestions most appreciated.thanks

jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: re:palermo birth indexes 1846/1855

Postby jecullen3 » 29 Apr 2015, 02:44

In Hugh Tornabene's index there is a listing for Agostina Lannino. In Sicilian names "nn" and "nd" may be used interchangeably (I learned from researching from a volunteer on this site.)
You can go directly to the page:
https://72e01f85-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.goo ... edirects=0

Lannino Agostina, Salvatore, Mancuso Rosalia, 1 Aprile 1854, S.O., V 710, N303

There is also a listing for Rosalia, born in 1847 under this alternate spelling.

Mary

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 29 Apr 2015, 03:26

thank you.for such a simple name there are more variations i've found.laudino,laudini,lidino,londino,and now lannino.no wonder i'm having such a difficult time finding information.its hard enough trying to find where these people lived,and then trying to determine the name spelling.her brother salvatore was found under londino.i tried checking these surname variations in looking for her marriage to antonino caldara,which had to have occurred before 1874 as they immigrated to america in 1874,but found nothing in the palermo marriage indexes which cover the years 1820-1895.her brother francesco,who was my paternal grandmothers adoptive father,was born in palermo in 1851.i've been looking for his death record for years,not knowing whether he died in sicily or here.i found a new york death record for a francesco lidino who died in new york in 1889 age 38.i'm pretty sure this is him as the age matches and i think lidino is a corruption of landino.i've seen landino confused with laudino,but never misspelled as lidino-or lannino.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 29 Apr 2015, 04:59

Laudino is just a misreading of the name Landino, from the way u's and n's were written at that time, and is not a spelling that one would find in Italy. Lidino and possibly Londino are similarly misspellings or misreadings that one would find in America. OTOH, in Sicily "nn" and "nd" were interchangeable, so Lannino would not be considered a misspelling of Landino but just an alternative spelling. In many cases, spellings were not fixed until the late 19th-c. or even later, so vowels in particular often varied in records for the same person; thus Landini and Londino could also be variants you might see in Sicilian civil records.

BTW, the name Caldara was also written Calcara in Sicily.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 29 Apr 2015, 05:26

thanks.just checked the palermo marriage indexes for an antonino calcara.nothing.or under caldara.regarding the landino surname.the only other part of italy i've seen it in with high frequency is in a town called gioia sannitica in campania.near naples.most landino's are from there.not too many in palermo.laudino is found in messina.many name spelling variations within this family.londino is found in the 1839 marriage of salvatore landino to rosalia mancuso.their children,all born in palermo,are alternately landino,londino,and lannino.and in america lidino appears to be a corruption of landino as well.its not even found anywhere in italy.very few landino's or laudino's in the passenger records.no lidino's.as i said,its hard enough trying to follow leads as to where this family resided after leaving palermo.but these surname variations are brutal.most went to new york.i have salvatore landino's death there in 1884.that of his son,francesco,whose surname of lidino i believe was a corruption of landino, died in 1889,and his son,also salvatore but using the name charles,died in new york in 1937.as i said,theres no consistency to be found.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”