Help with Dual Citizenship Via jure sanguinis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CounterReset

Help with Dual Citizenship Via jure sanguinis

Postby CounterReset » 29 Apr 2015, 18:07

I've been reading through the forum and first just want to say thank you to all the great help people have been providing on here - hopefully, someone might be able to direct me to the information I need.

My brothers and I traveled to Sicily a few years ago with my uncle to visit our family there and it was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives. Recently, he passed away and it has fallen on me as the oldest to keep up the connection with our family there. As part of it, my youngest brother and I have become interested in pursuing dual citizenship via jure sanguinis. I have managed to find records via ancestory.com showing my grandfather, Peter Frank Borgia, was denied naturalization in 1932, but we haven't been able to find out much more than this. My father was born March 11th, 1939. Where can we look to determine if my grandfather succeeded in Naturalization prior to my father's birth? Are we eligible for dual citizenship via jure sanguinis?

http://i.imgur.com/OzIuw6j.jpg

Thank you for any help you can provide.

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Help with Dual Citizenship Via jure sanguinis

Postby carubia » 30 Apr 2015, 04:27

Do searches with USCIS and NARA for naturalization records for your GF. Try to find him in the 1940 census.

Whether you're an Italian citizen via jure sanguinis depends on whether he did in fact naturalize before your father was born. Also, I'm assuming that your father was born in the US.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”