Researching following names: Pavese, Fiore, Capuano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Researching following names: Pavese, Fiore, Capuano

Postby zhimah » 08 Aug 2005, 09:16

Researching names for a friend of mine....her ancestors came from Italy around the turn of the century.

The information I have is:
Giovanni Fiore, b 1868 in Pomerico, Italy; do not know wife's name; children - Luca Fiore b 1888 in Louiarico, Potenza, Italy: Caterina Fiore b 1890 in Louiarico.

I know Luca arrived in Boston, MA on 7 Jun 1909 and resided in Chicago, IL. Luca married Mary H ? (she was born in Italy) and I believe they married here in the US.

Rocco Pavese, b Apr 1853 in Italy; married Anna ? in 1877 (she was b 1857 in Italy. Children: Dominick b Apr 1894; Angela b May 1883; Maria G b. 1891; Salvatore b Feb 1889 and Egidio b. Nov 1896 - all born in Italy; My records show a Carmela b 1923 (I believe in US - but I don't believe this is accurate as it would put the parents in their 70's when this child was born.

Dominic married Mary ? - don't know year; but Mary was born 1895 in New York.

Capuano line stops for me in 1925 in the US. Paul Capuano was b 25 Jan 1925 and d 15 Jun 1994 in Chicago.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
zhimah

Re: Researching following names: Pavese, Fiore, Capuano

Postby mfjp » 08 Aug 2005, 10:17

Pomerico should be Pomarico...

Louiarico?? .. Is the spelling correct? I am having a bit of trouble finding this town.

Appreciate your first posting, you have provided good info...

mfjp

Just took a look at Luca's manifest... it does look like Louiarico... but it is Pomarico...

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8641/image4vo.gif

page 2

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4985/image20ra.gif
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby zhimah » 09 Aug 2005, 02:18

Thank you so much - I've review these later today.
zhimah

Postby brujaojos » 09 Aug 2005, 07:14

zhimah wrote:The information I have is:
Giovanni Fiore, b 1868 in Pomerico, Italy; do not know wife's name; children - Luca Fiore b 1888 in Louiarico, Potenza, Italy: Caterina Fiore b 1890 in Louiarico.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi There,

For the town of Pomarico, Italy, the Family History Center has microfilm. It costs about $3.50 a roll depending on your location. You can look for the Birth Act of Giovanni Fiore.

Here is the link for the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find your nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 09 Aug 2005, 07:20

zhimah wrote:Rocco Pavese, b Apr 1853 in Italy; married Anna ? in 1877 (she was b 1857 in Italy. Children: Dominick b Apr 1894; Angela b May 1883; Maria G b. 1891; Salvatore b Feb 1889 and Egidio b. Nov 1896 - all born in Italy; My records show a Carmela b 1923 (I believe in US - but I don't believe this is accurate as it would put the parents in their 70's when this child was born.

Hi again,

Here is information on the 1900 Federal Census. I know one of my dear friends on here will post it for me. (hugs to you and thank you :) )

According to this census, Anna and Rocco were married for 23 years which means they were married about 1877. Per this census, all the children were born in Italy. The family was only in the USA for 3 years. They also had a nephew named Francesco Abate living with them.

Here is the info.
Name: Rocco Pavese
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Estimated birth year: 1853
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration year: 1897
Image source: Year: 1900; Census Place: Manhattan, New York, New York; Roll: T623 1086; Page: 17B; Enumeration District: 124.

Here is Rocco and Anna coming into Ellis Island in 1910 with the family. There were from the town of Laurenzana.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0564%2ETIF

I have the 1897 manifest but I can't get it to post. (Ship Scindia, arriving 4/14/1897, Series M237, Roll 672, Frame 821)

Here is the list to prove they came in 1897.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewT ... 3033130608

Have a good one.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 09 Aug 2005, 08:57

Here's the census record Trish mentioned :P

Year 1900

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5300/image26kk.jpg

The 1897 is on the way....

Take care,
mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 09 Aug 2005, 09:08

Here's the other manifest Trish also mentioned.... I couldn't link onto it either... once again Dr. Morse's site comes through...

First Name: Anna
Last Name: Pavese
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: April 14, 1897
Age at Arrival:  40y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Scindia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0608

http://img270.imageshack.us/img270/6001/rocco8978yq.jpg

Great research Trish,
mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby brujaojos » 09 Aug 2005, 09:12

mfjp wrote:Here's the other manifest Trish also mentioned.... I couldn't link onto it either... once again Dr. Morse's site comes through...

mfjp

Hi Mfjp,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I appreciate you posting those for me.:)

hugs
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby zhimah » 13 Aug 2005, 08:43

Thank you all very much....this is great and will add alot of detail to my reports.
zhimah

Postby zhimah » 13 Aug 2005, 09:44

I've been reviewing the data that has been submitted in my post and greatly appreciate the responses.

I am curious about the Capuano family. My friend, Donna, has given me additional information regarding this line.

Paul Capuano b 25 Jan 1925; d 15 Jun 1994 in Chicago. He was married to Mary Fiore b ca 1929 - she is still alive. (I will be visiting with her next weekend and hope to fill some of these gaps).

They had four children - all born in Chicago. Phyliss; Luke, Paula and Anthony.

I did find Paul's SSN record that confirms dob and dod but that's about it.

Paul's parents were: Antonio Capuano - I'm guessing born ca 1900 I believe in Italy. Antonio was married to Philomena Coduti - no info on dob but also believe born in Italy. I've searched immigration records, census, etc. and cannot find anything on either of these people.

I have a membership to Ancestry.com and have also reviewed Ellis Island. But nothing. Any suggestions.

As I mentioned above, I will be visiting Donna's family next weekend and as a surprise I was going to take them all that I've found. I told Donna to be prepared as her grandmother - Mary (Fiore) Capuano will most likely start down memory lane.

Thank you all for any assistance you can offer.

Beverly
zhimah

Postby brujaojos » 14 Aug 2005, 20:33

zhimah wrote:Paul Capuano b 25 Jan 1925; d 15 Jun 1994 in Chicago. He was married to Mary Fiore b ca 1929 - she is still alive. (I will be visiting with her next weekend and hope to fill some of these gaps).

Paul's parents were: Antonio Capuano - I'm guessing born ca 1900 I believe in Italy. Antonio was married to Philomena Coduti - no info on dob but also believe born in Italy. I've searched immigration records, census, etc. and cannot find anything on either of these people.

Thank you all for any assistance you can offer.
Beverly

Dear Beverly,

Are you sure about who Paul's parents were? Are you also sure that Paul's real name is Paul and not something else? Do you know what State Paul was born in?

I too am having a tough time finding the family and I have tried every soundex on Ancestry as well as Genealogy.com.

I come up with other information, but nothing that even fits your information.

The only thing I found for Filomena in Ellis Island is the following.

Name - Residence - Arrival Year - Age -
Filomena Caduti - 1895 - 35
Filomena Caiteth - S. Angelos, Italy - 1911 - 19
M'a Filomena Coduti - Montefalcone Valfortone - 1903 - 51
Filomena Coduti - Monpfalcone Valfortore - 1903 - 51
Filomena Cotito - Potenza - 1898 - 7

I like the one where she is 7 years old coming in 1898. You can see these manifests on Ellis Island.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby zhimah » 15 Aug 2005, 09:40

Trish,

Thank you for responding. Donna's mother (Paul's daughter, Phyliss) gave me the information so I am making the assumption that it is correct. As I stated before, I will be meeting with her relatives this coming weekend and have my family group sheets all ready to go and plenty of pencils. :)

I just pulled up the Illinois Vital Records site and may just request a copy of Paul's birth and marriage certificate as see what that gets me.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again - by the way - I love this site.

Bev
zhimah

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy