Caldararo's from Aliano, Italy to New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
justinerae

Caldararo's from Aliano, Italy to New York

Postby justinerae » 10 Aug 2005, 09:38

I am working on my materal grandfather's family and found him all the way back to 1910, still trying to locate him in the 1900 as he arrived in 1898 or 1899, as per the census.

Is anyone researching the following family

Luigi Caldararo born 25-Aug-1883 in Aliano, Italy
Parents: Filippo Caldararo and Rosa Daloia
Lugi came to NY in 1898-1899
His parents came to NY in 1907
Lugi and Filippo naturalized in 1910

Thank you for any help that you can provide

Justine :P

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Caldararo's from Aliano, Italy to New York

Postby suanj » 10 Aug 2005, 12:16

justinerae wrote:I am working on my materal grandfather's family and found him all the way back to 1910, still trying to locate him in the 1900 as he arrived in 1898 or 1899, as per the census.

Hi: perhaps is he:
Luigi Caldararo, (listed as Calderaro), emigrated in June, 1, 1897 ; age 13;
Chateau Lafite ship
Sailing from Naples, Italy
http://ellisisland.org/search/viewTextM ... 3749070191
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 10 Aug 2005, 18:52

This is the correct entery. He arrived with his father Filippo.

Go to the Ellis Island page Suanj linked to. Clck on "original manifest". This takes you to page 673 of the manifests. Click on next until you reach page 678. Filippo and Luigi are on lines 27 and 28.

Also, if you do not have the actual naturalizaion papers and the declaration of intent...here is more info:

Certificate #150930
Name: Caldararo Luigi
Vlume: 20
Page: 231
Date: 05/17/1910
Approximate year of birth: 1884
Reference #: C436

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Aug 2005, 18:55

WOW Essgee, also the intent's declaration! great! are an wonderful team here in italiangenealogy! suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 14 Aug 2005, 23:16

justinerae wrote:I am working on my materal grandfather's family and found him all the way back to 1910, still trying to locate him in the 1900 as he arrived in 1898 or 1899, as per the census.

Hi Justine,

Here is the mainfest for Filippo and Rosa coming into the USA in June 15, 1906. They are going to see their sons, Nicola and Luigi.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2249070298

Per this manifest, it stated that Filippo came to the USA before in about 1887. I know someone will post this manifest for you. (thank you :) )

Here is the information for the first trip to the USA.
Name: Filippo Caldararo
Arrival Date: 20 Apr 1888
Estimated Birth Year: 1855
Port of Departure: Marseille, France
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Aliano
Ship Name: Cachemire
Port of Arrival: New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 6
Microfilm Roll: 518
List Number: 485

Here is the information on the Naturalization on possibly the son, Nicola.

Name: Nicola Caldararo
Address: 339 E. 31 St.
Date: 10 Feb 1921
Volume #: 435
Page #: 21

Here is the link that Suanj and Essgee was speaking about with Luigi coming into the USA with his father.
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0673%2ETIF

And the Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Aliano. You can order and rent the film for about $3.50 a roll. Here is the link for the film numbers. On the film you will be able to find the copies of the Birth, Marriage, and Death Records of your ancestors.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

josenza

Postby josenza » 24 Aug 2005, 03:26

I have been researching the following names from Aliano: Caldararo/Marchetta/Caputo/Racioppi/DiLorenzo and DiAloia. My main emphasis is on Caldararo.
As for the Filippo Caldararo I have seen a death record for him as follows Death March 12, 1928 certificate #7041 Manhattan NY age 53.

justinerae

Postby justinerae » 03 Aug 2008, 02:55

I know it is a long time in coming, but I wanted to say thank you to all who posted info.

Sorry for the delay, but not long after I had posted my husband became quite ill and passed in July 2006. Then two days later my grandmother passed. So between those two things and having a young child to care for I was not up to pursing any family history.

Having recently gotten back into research- I came across this site in my bookmarks and came across the post that I had made and saw the replies. Thank you again.

I have sent for naturalization papers for Luigi- waiting for them to come- has been awhile- sent for them late June- not sure how long they take to come. I figure it will take awhile. Also not long after I made my original post I located
where Filippo is buried. He is in St. Raymond's Cemetery. Luigi is buried there as well.

I am also pretty sure I have come across another sibling- he is listed in right under my great grandfather's family. I was looking at the WWII Draft Registration and found one for Luigi. One of the questions it asks if for the name and address of someone who will aways know your address- he listed Giuseppe Caldararo and listed the same address. There is also a registration card for Giuseppe- but it looks like he lists his son as the person to contact

In going back to look up information to make sure I am correct in what I am saying I just noticed something that is going to merit a closer look. I just saw another WW II registration card for a Luigi Giovanno Caldararo- he resides in the Bronx, but he is a bootblack at 25 Broad Street and my great grandfather was a boot black at 20 Broad Street according to his social security application form. I am thinking maybe this is another sibling

Once again- Thank You to all who replied to my post.

Justine :D :D :D :D

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 03 Aug 2008, 07:34

Justine,

Welcome back and thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. My condolences on the loss of your husband and grandmother. I can appreciate you're having to take a break from researching during that time. Please, let us know if there is anything we can help you with.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

MDRAGO21

Postby MDRAGO21 » 15 Mar 2010, 14:03

i have been researching the last name as well. I think i may have run into you in the process before. i hit a block looking for my grandfathers parents. his name is Vincent james caldararo born in 1920. he had several brothers and sisters and was in WWII. he is buried in a veterans cemetary in Long Island. i have a public tree on ancestry.com if you would like to take a look. i keep seeing the same names when researching this last name so i cannot be far off. thank you for any information you can give or let me know what i can tell you.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”