Onofrio and Amodeo given names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mitchell446

Onofrio and Amodeo given names

Postby mitchell446 » 17 May 2015, 19:52

I have been using the Select Deaths and Burials records from 1809-1900 on Ancestry and I came across a problem. According to Teresa Russo's (1805-1865) death record, her parents were Onofrio Russo and Francesca Terrasi. However, if I search for a Francesca Terrasi, it shows that she married an Amodeo Russo, not an Onofrio Russo. I am certain that it is the right Francesca Terrasi because it is in the same locality and the right time period. Is it possible that the two names are variations of each other? Or possibly just a second name? I have found several birth records of Amodeo and Francesca's children that date from 1780-1801. This would make the Francesca fairly old by 1805, but it is documented that they had one in 1801. One of their children between Amodeo and Franncesca happened to be an Onofrio Russo (b. 1781), but it is documented that he married a Rosa Balistreri, not a Francesca Terrasi. This Onofrio Russo would have been 24 at Teresa Russo's birth, which is ideal, but the only known children of Onofrio and Rosa Balistreri weren't born until the 1820s, which isn't consistent with Teresa's birth date of 1805. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help.
Sincerely,
Mitchell

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Onofrio and Amodeo given names

Postby Robin B Mc » 17 May 2015, 23:49

First, it was not uncommon for people to move about nearby towns. Secondly, even in small towns you will sometimes find more than one person with the same name and around the same age. Third, keep in mind people did remarry sometimes if their spouse died. So don't automatically assume it's the same person.

That said, it is also possible Amodeo and Onofrio are the same person. I have found cases of people being listed by one given name in one record and another given name in another record.

Also, while spellings could vary, I've never seen it as Amodeo - usually Amadeo or Amadio.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 18 May 2015, 03:00

I've seen Amodeo many times. In fact, when I saw your post, I figured I'd look through my records for examples with that name, and as soon as I opened my Excel file I saw that name in front of me - it was in the last record I transcribed (a marriage record from Sciacca in 1868)! It's unmistakably an "o" and not in "a" in this case, but actually Amodeo, Amadeo, and Amadio are just different spellings of the same name, which is different from Onofrio. It's possible that this Amadeo Russo is the same person as Onofrio Russo but that the indexer for FamilySearch, or the official who made the record, or the person who reported the event, made a mistake. It's even possible that this person had a double given name or changed his name. But I would need to see a bunch of records to understand what happened.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 18 May 2015, 03:30

I just took a look at the records "indexed" online on FS. There are 4 death records for children of Amodeo Russo and Francesca Terrasi as well as a marriage record for one of those children. There's also a death record for Teresa Russo, daughter of Onofrio and Francesca Terrasi. It appears that this was an error and her father should've been Amodeo. Maybe someone mixed up her brother and her father's name. After all it is only a death record and they tend to be filled with errors. Since it appears that you have access to earlier records, why don't you look for Teresa's marriage or birth records? Or check the names of Teresa's children (which is only weak evidence, but could help a little).

BTW, it wasn't that uncommon for a woman's oldest child to be 20 years or more older than her youngest, since they often started having children in their teens and could continue into their 40s.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 18 May 2015, 05:00

Did you really find birth records from the 18th-c. online? Civil records in Sicily started around 1820 and I haven't seen online church records for Aragona. Or do you mean that you found death records with implied years of birth between 1780 and 1801? Keep in mind that ages on death records from that time period, especially for older people, could be really inaccurate, off by a decade or even more in some cases.

Looking at the available birth records for Teresa's children, one born in 1826 and one in 1829, it would appear that she was born in 1804 or 1803. Even if her age was a little understated, it's probable that she born after 1800.

mitchell446

Postby mitchell446 » 18 May 2015, 22:51

After looking at a handwritten record of someone with the name Amodeo, it appears that it is very easy to mistake Amodeo and Onofrio.
I also dug more into Francesca Terrasi and (Amodeo or Onofrio's) children and found an Amodeo Russo who married Rosa Balistreri. There are two records indicating an Onofrio Russo and Rosa Balistreri and 3 indicating an Amodeo Russo and Rosa Balistreri.
The children between Rosa and Amodeo that I have found include an Amodeo Russo (1818-1853). Amodeo's (1818-1853) children also include an Onofrio (1836-1836) and another Onofrio (1844-).
The children between Onofrio and Rosa include an Alfonso who had a child named Onofrio (1841-).

Therefore, the name Onofrio or Amodeo most definitely ran in the family. It seems to me that both the names look very similar when handwritten and it could be that the transcribers often couldn't tell the difference between the two which resulted in a lot of Onofrio's and Amodeo's. I believe that this repetition of Onofrio and Amodeo is really just one name being spread throughout the family but being transcribed as being separate names.
The real question is, which name is the real name and which one is just an incorrect transcription of the other? In this case, is it possible that it might just remain a mystery?

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 19 May 2015, 02:53

If you think this is really one name being sometimes mistranscribed, order the microfilm and view it yourself. In the meantime, trace the family down to after 1862, when the actual images of the civil records for the town are probably online, and see if you can find the name.

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Robin B Mc » 19 May 2015, 23:17

I'm not saying Amodeo is impossible, I just mentioned it as something to possibly double check, that's all. I often find vowels like a, e, i, and o difficult to tell apart sometimes and I swear I've seen these vowels be interchangeable - for example, on one record a person's surname is spelled Majorano, on the next record the same person is spelled Majorani. So I always try to double check on vowels like this.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”