Giovanna Nazzaro and Alfonzo Grasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
veffa

Giovanna Nazzaro and Alfonzo Grasso

Postby veffa » 24 May 2015, 23:18

Anyone know how i can start to research my great, great, great grandparents? I have no idea what year they are born or died, i don't know where in italy they are from. I honestly have no idea where to start and any advice would be amazing haha. They didn't live in America, they were born and died in Italy and only their children traveled over here to America. So how can i find out more about them? I have nothing to go off of except their names. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s
i have an ancestry.com site and have searched endlessly on that site and others trying to find any information i can about these ancestors.

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Giovanna Nazzaro and Alfonzo Grasso

Postby carubia » 25 May 2015, 06:34

What do you know about their children? Do you know where your great-great grandparent was born? Or when? Once you have a place and an approximate date of birth for that person, you can look for a birth record in Italy and from that you'll have information about the parents.

veffa

Postby veffa » 25 May 2015, 08:00

carubia wrote:What do you know about their children? Do you know where your great-great grandparent was born? Or when? Once you have a place and an approximate date of birth for that person, you can look for a birth record in Italy and from that you'll have information about the parents.

I don't know where the children were born (my great great grandma) they were all very secretive and ashamed of their past (mafia related) so they were hush about everything.

I am in the process of getting my great great grandma's death certificate, but am unsure that they will have her birthplace documented as it was so long ago (my family also lied a lot, on most every document i've come across, mafia made them hide/change names and my great great grandma also got around a lot, different dads for each child, changing her age to be with younger men).

If I do find out her birthplace and year of birth, what site do i login into to place a request for italian birth records? Ancestry.com even with the full packet doesn't list very many italian documents, its actually been sucky for me. I've found more information on my family through familysearch.org believe it or not.

Any advice or link or direction is greatly appreciated*
Thank you

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 25 May 2015, 10:49

The best sources of info on the place of birth of someone who was born in Italy and immigrated to the US would be naturalization records, passenger manifests, WWI or WWII draft registration cards, and, sometimes, death or marriage certs. Since you're looking for your GG-GM's place of birth, draft cards would be ruled out unless you know the names of any of her male siblings. She might not have any naturalization records in her name either if she was naturalized through her husband before 1922. Do you know anything about when she lived in the US? When she came over? Was her husband Italian? If so, did they marry in Italy?

There's a huge amount of Italian civil records on familysearch.org, but first we need to use US records to find her place of birth. Based on her parents' surnames, I'd say she was probably from somewhere in Campania, such as Napoli.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”