Problem with birth certificate - any advice?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rserio

Problem with birth certificate - any advice?

Postby rserio » 05 Jun 2015, 02:18

Hello all!

My name is Richard Serio and I am well into the process for applying for dual citizenship. I am going through my paternal Great-Grandfather, Fedele Serio, who was born in Sciara, Palermo, Italy on Jan 15 1873. He immigrated to the U.S. in 1899, then moved to Baltimore, MD where most of my American family history starts.

The birth certificate for my grandfather, Samuel Serio, is where the problem is. The certificate lists the mother as "Josepha Mesa" while my great-grandmother's name was "Giuseppa Immesi"

I was told by IPS Italy (linked with the consulate in Philly) that Americanization of first names were fine, but not last. My GGM wasn't the most detail-oriented person it seems, as her name appears differently on almost every document. I am attempting to speak with the State Registar for Maryland who may let me get a court order (expensive and lengthy process) but is there any other option available? Has anyone dealt with a similar issue?

My appointment is on August 20 in Philadelphia, so time is starting to be of the essence.

Also, in case anyone is potentially related to me/can use this information for their own family lines, here is what I have uncovered so far:

Antonino Serio married Rosa Taormina (mid-1800s)
Children:
Fedele Serio
Salvatore Serio
Maria Serio

Fedele Serio married Giuseppa Immesi (Josephine Mesa) in 1913
Children: (all Serio)
Mary
Salvatore
Samuel
Gabriel
Angeline
Daniel
Grace
Anthony
Jennie

rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Problem with birth certificate - any advice?

Postby rjmichaels » 06 Jun 2015, 10:05

I, unfortunately, have never looked into the process for dual citizenship...I believe I'm disqualified but I'll have to look into it. Of course the birth record is messed up (although not indistinguishable)! Can you track down the baptismal record?

If not, you can amend said birth record, which will be very time-consuming (I disagree on the pricy aspect), as you will not be able to produce witnesses but rather, provide circumstantial evidence, i.e. marriage record of the individual, census records, school records, etc. PA has their birth records online for 1906-1908 and you will notice that many Italian names were butchered and some, later, were corrected.

I wish you luck, my friend!

rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjmichaels » 06 Jun 2015, 10:14

I just breezed through the requirements and my mother is qualified for dual since her great grandparents were born there but I guess I must be a generation too late. I'll have to tell her. Although documentation may be an issue in her circumstance because the civil records are lost for the 1860s (but I was able to find their baptismal records). And, spelling-wise, she would have the same problem; my grandmother's surname, Tomaino, was misspelled as Tomanio on her birth certificate.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 08 Jun 2015, 01:28

Try to get the birth cert amended. First try working with the issuer, and if they refuse to amend it without a court order, start the process to get a court order. If you can track down the baptismal certificate, and get a new notarized copy issued by the diocese which you can then apostille, you can try using that instead. Regardless, go to your appointment with what you have and see what they say. If this is your only discrepancy you might get away with it. (Probably not, but you never know.) IPS is not an authority on what the consulate actually wants, but in this case they're probably right.

Go to the Italian Citizenship Message Board for much more help. http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/index.php
In particular, you can see if this sort of discrepancy has been accepted at Philly before and you can learn how to get such a court order. It just happens that Pennsylvania is one of the most common states in which people have obtained such court orders, so there's a number of other members whose experience you can draw on.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 08 Jun 2015, 09:40

It is highly unlikely that Italy will amend or change a surname on a birthcertificate unless it was WRONG at the time. To prove this you will need her parents documents to see if the surname was Immesa or Mesa. You will need to change the US documents to match the Italian ones.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 08 Jun 2015, 14:31

Ann,
I believe the birth certificate in question with the error in the mother's name was issued in Maryland, not Italy. It sounds like rjmichaels' is from the US, too.

rserio

Postby rserio » 09 Jun 2015, 21:07

Thank you so much everyone for your responses and for the suggestion to go onto the Italian Citizenship Message Board. I have posted my issue there and am finding a ton of great information!

It also seems as though very few application appointments go without some small (or large) hiccups. I am nervous but hopeful for my future citizenship!

By the way, any other Serio's from Sicily on here?

Grazie !

camille

Postby camille » 10 Jun 2015, 23:55

We have just started the accumulation of records in an effort to gain dual citizenship for my daughter . Her great great grandfather August Cosimo Serio was born in Cefalu, Sicily 14 April 1903 and immigrated to the USA with his parents when he was 6yrs old.
How should we go about obtaining his birth certificate ---suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Camille

rserio

Postby rserio » 11 Jun 2015, 19:54

Camille - to find my great-grandfather's Italian birth certificate, I went through myitaliancitizenship.com

They are very nice, quick, and inexpensive! I was able to order 3 international copies (required by the consulate) for only $40, and received them within 2 months of ordering. I highly recommend them.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”