Looking for Marrone/Colantoni Family members

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Looking for Marrone/Colantoni Family members

Postby phishfood » 18 Aug 2005, 04:16

Hi,

I am looking to confirm who my ancestors parents are. His name is Francesantonio Marrone. He was born in 1857 in Montebello di Bertona, Italy. Died in 1947 in Loreto Aprutino. Story has it, that his father (who I am looking for) is possibly a man named Raffaele Colantoni born in 1817 in Montebello di Bertona, Italy. Heard that Raffaele took on his wife's last name (Colantoni) but Francesantonio has the last name of Marrone. The mothers name is Domenica Marrone. I have tried to order films but no luck. I have writen an e-mail to the town but no luck either. Can someone tell me where else I can look to find out who Francesantonio's parents are? Also why the different last names? Thanks!!

Kim

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for Marrone/Colantoni Family members

Postby VaDeb » 18 Aug 2005, 06:33

What do you mean by you tried to order films but no luck?

phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Postby phishfood » 19 Aug 2005, 04:36

I made a mistake. I found films for Raffaele and Franscesantonio Marrone. There are no films available for my great great grandfather Luigi Marrone born in 1887 in Pescara, Italy. How can I find his birth certificate? I tried to e-mail the commune but never heard back. Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 19 Aug 2005, 04:57

Sorry, but I am confused.

Francesantonio Marrone born 1857 in Montebello di Bertona (have film)
parents: Raffaele Colantoni born in 1817 in Montebello di Bertona (film)
Domenica Marrone

Luigi Marrone born in 1887 in Pescara. Not sure how he filts, but there is no microfilm available for Pescara after 1865. You have to write to the town for the record or hire a researcher. Perhaps records this old are in the provincial archive. Suanj might know this. Are you sure he was born in the town of Pescara and not one of many towns in the province of Pescara?

phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Postby phishfood » 19 Aug 2005, 11:36

I do have films for Raffaele and Francesantonio. Luigi is Francesantonio's son and I have no film for him because of the date. Do I have to send money and a letter to the commune? I am pretty sure he was born in Pescara. My cousin did take a trip back there recently and could not find his birth certificate however. Where else would I write to try to find his birth certificate? Can I get in touch with the provinicial archive and where is that and the process? Any info would help. Thanks again.

Kim

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 19 Aug 2005, 18:00

Hi Kim,

Just a word of caution, genealogy is done working back in time. Start with your parents, grandparents, then great grand parents. Hopefully you have other primary records to prove Luigi is the son of Francesantonio.

Luigi was born in 1887 so his birth record should be at the comune of his birth. (ignore my other comment of it being sent to the provincial archive, was thinking it was the 1865 date) If you cousin went there in person and they could not find it, perhaps it is the wrong comune.

Step back and look at what you have. How did you come to the conclusion he was born in Pescara? Did Luigi marry in Italy? His marriage act will have his town of birth listed. Where did he die? His death act in Italy will contain his place of birth. Did he leave Italy and go to the US or another county? HIs passenger records may contain his place of birth. I would suggest trying to document where he was born before trying to write for his birth act.

phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Postby phishfood » 20 Aug 2005, 00:04

I have done geneology for a while now and thanks for the warning. It does get confusing with my family. Luigi is my great grandfather. From what we know (we think) he was born in Pescara on December 13, 1887. He was married in Newark,NJ in the US in 1910 and died in Amsterdam, NY in 1974. So should I get his marriage certificate in New Jersey to see where it says he was actually born and then go from there?

Kim

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 20 Aug 2005, 00:53

The marriage record may have a town of birth, or may just say Italy. You should send for the record anyway. You never know what clues it may contain. One advantage of working backwards and collecting documents is all the little bits of information and clues they contain. Can save alot of tine looking for something in the wrong place.

So Luigi was born in Italy in 1887 and died in NY. When did he enter the USA? Do you have his passenger record? That manifest will have his place of birth.

If you have not found the passenger record, have you done any census research? That will give you an approximate year of immigration. Was Luigi naturalized?

phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Postby phishfood » 21 Aug 2005, 01:26

Luigi was born in Italy. I don't think I have ever seen a passenger list but I have heard from family that he immigrated over here in 1908. When I look on the Ellis Island website and put his name in, nothing comes up. How else can I find that? He was married in 1910 in Newark, NJ. I am writing New Jersey to try to get a copy of the marriage certificate. He was naturalized in 1925. I have the certificate for that. So should I just wait and see what the marriage certificate says? And how about the passenger list? How else do I go about finding that? Thanks. :)

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 21 Aug 2005, 06:06

If you have a naturalizaiton certificate you know the court that naturalized him. If you get his declaration of intent and naturalization application you will have all the infomation you are looking for. Also, check census reports to see when he stated he entered the US.

But, the naturalization paper work will tell you where he was born and when he entered the US. May also give names of his parents and siblings in Italy. Should list his family here in the US at the time of naturalization.

Sometimes we get alittle ahead of ourselves and jump over the ocean to start researching in Italy. If we take the time to complete research here we can find alot of details that make research over in Italian documents much easier. Especially in locating the correct town.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 21 Aug 2005, 09:08

Could you mention the name of Luigi's wife, her birth info, name of children etc... we could look for a census record... which would include year of immigration... it would help narrow down the search for a ship's record...

mfjp

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Aug 2005, 19:43

Kim: no reply from Pescara...? no...? strange..... I remember your topic, and all help here; I remember also that you wrote in montebello di bertona church.. also from priest no reply? very strange... you sure that was born in Montebello.. or is possible in Loreto Aprutino also..? I'm very near this area as you know... you can request the Liste di leva of Luigi of Pescara/Teramo district, so you can descover the birth place... on ellis I no found the Luigi ship's manifest, but are some Marrone from Montebello, and from Penne, Francavilla, all towns most near........ you say me that Raffaele Colantoni was married to Domenica Marrone, and she have an Francescantonio child with Marrone surname, this mean that Raffaele was the step father... well Francescantonio Marrone was married.. where... and died in Loreto Aprutino also near Montebello... most probable Francescantonio wife was an woman of Loreto Aprutino... if I understand just all this, is most probable that Luigi was born in Loreto Aprutino and no in Montebello.. please let me know if I remember wenll this data or no... suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Postby phishfood » 22 Aug 2005, 04:14

Luigi' s wife's name is Josephine Peligrini. She was born on 11/06/1894. They have 13 children. Here are their names. Carmela, Anna Theresa, Felice (Felix), Orlnado Joseph, Alfonzo (went by Rudy in the US), Philemena or Filomena Teresa, Judith Rose (Rosa), Nicholas Santos, Virginia Maria, Ricardo (richard in US) Albert, Valintino, Eugene, and Leanore. Can you look up a census record mfjp? How much would it cost? Or how would I look one up?

I am looking at his naturalization certificate right now. The info. it has on it, is the children he had at time of naturalization, where he resided in New York, and the date of naturalization. It says the Court of the State of New York held in Fonda,New York naturalized him. This all happened on 02/04/1925 when he was 37 years old. It does not even mention his wife which I think is odd. That part is blank. How do I get his declaration of intent and naturalization application?

Luigi was born in Pescara (we think). His father is Francesantonio Marrone and Francesantonion's father is Raffaele Colantoni. Raffaele's father is Francescopaolo Colantoni. Raffaele and Francesantonio were born in Montebello di Bertona. Do not know where Francescopaolo was born yet. Raffaele was married to Anna Rosa DiRosairo and they had a child who was Francesantonio. I do not know where Anna rosa is from yet. Then when Francesantonio grew up he married Maria Carmella Di Costanzo and they had 8 kids. As far as Francescopaolo goes, he married Domenica Marrone and that is all I know on that. OK, is this all too confusing or what? Thanks for all of your help in getting me through this. :) It helps me soo much and helps me not get frustrated so easily. If anyone needs any more info. I will let you know. Thanks again,

Kim

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 22 Aug 2005, 05:26

Can you look up a census record mfjp? How much would it cost? Or how would I look one up?

Nothing :!: I have a subscription with Ancestry.com, I can certainly look them up for you... or if someone beats me to it... go for it...

I think Ancestry.com still has the free 2 week trial offer... (census -immigration) and if you do take the offer, and then decide to cancel... make sure you get a confirmation #...

Your Family History Center would have computers with free access to Ancestry.com... phone first and see if you have to book a time slot for a computer... not sure how it works in your area...

Will get back to you..
Maria

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 22 Aug 2005, 05:47

Hi Kim

Do you know where (state and county) the family lived in 1930? What year was the first child born and what year was the last child born?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”