what is??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lag031
Rookie
Rookie

what is??

Post by lag031 »

i was told when writing to officials in italy, i needed a self addressed stamped envelope and 2 international reply coupons, what are these coupons? thanks for your help lillian
DonnaH
Rookie
Rookie

Re: what is??

Post by DonnaH »

YOU GET THEM AT THE POST OFFICE. I BELIEVE IT IS FOR THE POSTAGE TO SEND THE ITEMS REQUESTED BACK TO YOU.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

lag031 wrote:i was told when writing to officials in italy, i needed a self addressed stamped envelope and 2 international reply coupons, what are these coupons? thanks for your help lillian
Hi There,

Donna is correct. The International Reply Postage Coupons can be obtained by your local US Post Office. They cost about $1.80 each here in the USA.

Here is a definition from the Post Office about the IRC.

International reply coupons (IRCs) provide foreign addressees with a prepaid means of responding to inquiries, solicitations, or other types of communications that are initiated by U.S. senders. IRCs are exchangeable for postage stamps at post offices in all foreign countries that are members of the Universal Postal Union (UPU). Each IRC is equivalent in value to the destination country's minimum postage rate for an unregistered airmail letter.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Have any of you guys ever done that? I haven't, maybe I should next time. They are usually wonderful in responding if you write a letter and include a small token of your appreciation. I usually send 20 in US$. It is kind of difficult to get Euros where I live.

:) Jim
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

JamesBianco wrote:Have any of you guys ever done that? I haven't, maybe I should next time. They are usually wonderful in responding if you write a letter and include a small token of your appreciation. I usually send 20 in US$. It is kind of difficult to get Euros where I live.

:) Jim
Hi Jim,

I always send 2 International Reply Coupons with any letter I send to Italy. I sometimes send money (abt $5) even though I was always told that I didn't have to send money, but I know it helps.

Like the picture :)

Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

I have always sent two International Reply Coupons with my requests. Sometimes they get returned to me unused. Sometimes they don't. But I always send them. I usually send a bit of cash also. Sometimes I send a few dollars, sometimes a few Euro. It depends on what I have handy.

I do most of my research from the microfilms at the Family History Center. I've been lucky so far in finding most of the documents that I need on the film. I have only sent a handful of written requests to Italy. If I had to send a large number of written requests, I probably wouldn't send the cash.
Donna Pellegrin
lag031
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lag031 »

thanks for all your help, now i know what i have to do. thanks again lillian