bicci family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

bicci family

Postby tomsbookhouse » 22 Aug 2005, 02:58

is there a bicci family association in italy or someone expert on the italian biccis. does anyone know what the bicci in giovanni di bicci de medici represents? it appears to be the name of his father. but what does bicci mean and where does it come from? is it possible that the italian biccis are related to the swiss butschis who arrived in 1348 escaping the Black Death and who are related to the american beachy family who came in the 1700s and became amish and mennonites? trying to find out as a present for my wife and her twins sister on their 70th birthday. they are beachys, also butschis and it would be wonderful if they were also biccis. thank for any help. tom mathews
tomsbookhouse

Re: bicci family

Postby brujaojos » 22 Aug 2005, 07:10

tomsbookhouse wrote:is there a bicci family association in italy or someone expert on the italian biccis. does anyone know what the bicci in giovanni di bicci de medici represents? it appears to be the name of his father. but what does bicci mean and where does it come from? is it possible that the italian biccis are related to the swiss butschis who arrived in 1348 escaping the Black Death and who are related to the american beachy family who came in the 1700s and became amish and mennonites? trying to find out as a present for my wife and her twins sister on their 70th birthday. they are beachys, also butschis and it would be wonderful if they were also biccis. thank for any help. tom mathews

Hi Tom,

Maybe someone else in the group can help you about the Bicci name.

However, I'm going to ask what is the names of your wife's parent's and grandparents. Also, do you know where in the USA they settled?

We might be able to gather information for you on the Beachy.

Please get back to us.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Essgee » 22 Aug 2005, 08:29

In this particular instance, the "di Bicci" means that Giovanni is the son of Bicci. Bicci de Medici was his father...

His real name was Averado but he was called Bicci.

You might enjoy this site...and the beginning of the article on the history of Giovanni....

http://www.arca.net/db/medici/medici1.htm

"The Founder of the Medici fortune was Giovanni, son of Averardo (also colled Bicci).
He belonged to the Cafaggiolo branch of the family and he occupied the highest position in the popular party. There he worked prudently and silently, in accordance with his mild, affable character. The Medici policy was always aimed at encouraging democratic aspirations, but the basic intention of the family was to turn those aspirations to their own advantage and to exploit them into their own interest. Giovanni was a skillful banker, intelligent businessman, thoughtful and reserved. He didn't distinguish himself in dress or lifestyle. He lived simply in the serene peace of his family. Giovanni didn't like to be involved with public appointments, but he accepted to be "Priore" (prior) in Florence for three times."
Essgee
Master
Master

Postby tomsbookhouse » 22 Aug 2005, 21:19

hello, veteran. thank you for the help on bicci. best, tom mathews
tomsbookhouse

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy