Unusual question re: Italian connection and how to best make contact

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjclayton1
Rookie
Rookie

Unusual question re: Italian connection and how to best make contact

Postby mjclayton1 » 04 Jul 2015, 06:24

Hello, Good People-

My long-time girlfriend and I are traveling to Italy in September (my 1st time - yay!). Her surname (Saisi) is prominent in il comune di Gallicano di Lucca. In fact, her surname is il corrente Sindaco. How does one go about making inquiry as to a possible genealogical connection? I don't want to waste anyone's time here (or there, for that matter... or perhaps even offend someone in Italy), but it seems like there has to be a "cugina" connection somehow, distant as it may be...

Any suggestions?

My historical research goes back to the 1800's, but is inconclusive in many respects (yet quite conclusive in others). That fact aside, we have had a long time to plan this trip and now that it is almost upon us I'm sort of at a loss as to my genealogical "plan." We will spend several days in the Lucca area, but as much as I've tried to study Italian (for both me and her) I will only be able to communicate in Italian in a very modest (simple) way. Yet I continue to tell myself that this may be a "once in a lifetime" experience for me that I don't want to leave certain matters unresolved...

Inoltre, so che c'e un negozio con la tua cognome in Lucca, ma non so che cosa fare (I also know there is a store with her surname in Lucca, but I don't what to do). Forse siamo semplicemente presentarsi (maybe we simply show up)?

I realize this question is both genealogical and location-relted (not to mention a bit "complicated"), but I've submitted it here nonetheless. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Molte grazie,
Mark

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Unusual question re: Italian connection and how to best make contact

Postby PippoM » 04 Jul 2015, 15:44

Well, first of all, have you done a genealogical study for HER family?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

mjclayton1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mjclayton1 » 04 Jul 2015, 17:59

Hi, Pippo. Yes, I have a somewhat detailed ancestry dot com tree that I have spent many months building (over 200 people; not a ton, but not too shabby for a novice like me, either). For example, I have certain Italian birth and marriage records from the late 1800's (Carol's paternal great-grandparents), plus references in other records of other lineal descendants that identify other known names (but I don't have "specific" records as to them). The gap of availability of online records between 1807-1812 (generally speaking, a goodly portion of Napoleonic rule)... and the early to mid 1860's (unification) has been frustrating to me. I realize there are "centers" that one can go to to obtain film for this era, but I just have not had the time to commit to doing that.

Beyond that, although I've had some success (here and there) in sifting through the online data, often I get frustrated because I simply can't commit the time needed to do exhaustive searches (plus I usually get side-tracked with "life" matters). I don't expect miracles here. I just wonder if there's an appropriate way to send a letter/inquiry to the Gallicano administrative types to see if they could perhaps provide further details (and/or provide access/information) as to a particular surname. I know these are busy folks who need to do far more important jobs... It just seems like I'd be missing an opportunity to somehow further my research while there, if only briefly, if I don't try advance contact on some level.

For example, would it make sense to retain a local historian that could perhaps meet me for a half day when I'm there? Would the officials grant us access to any local records? Unless these officials speak some english, seems like I could really use the translator liaison...

I know I'm just rambling now and am perhaps not being very realistic in terms of what amounts to a fairly brief visit. I'm sure there are far more organized types that invest far more time and effort, yet achieve far less, but I nonetheless am interested in hearing some diverse Board thoughts on the subject. Thanks again...

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 06 Jul 2015, 08:16

If her latest ancestors born in Gallicano were of the late XIX century, it is likely that someone there can find a connection.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”