how can I post Excel files to the forum?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carubia
Master
Master

how can I post Excel files to the forum?

Post by carubia »

I have some Excel files containing indexes that I'd like to post to the forum. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to do this? The extension .xlsx is not among those permitted to be posted here.
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: how can I post Excel files to the forum?

Post by jecullen3 »

Excel files can be converted to PDF. Would that help?
jecullen3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jecullen3 »

If you're interested, these are the steps:
Excel

This information also applies to Microsoft Excel Starter 2010.

Note You can’t save Power View sheets as PDF files.

1.Click the File tab.

2.Click Save As.
To see the Save As dialog box in Excel 2013, you have to choose a location and folder.

3.In the File Name box, enter a name for the file, if you haven't already.

4.In the Save as type list, click PDF (*.pdf).

##If you want the file to open in the selected format after saving, select the Open file after publishing check box.

##If the document requires high print quality, click Standard (publishing online and printing).

##If file size is more important than print quality, click Minimum size (publishing online).

5.Click Options to set the page to be printed, to choose whether markup should be printed, and to select output options. Click OK when finished.

6.Click Save.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, the whole point of using Excel is to allow people to easily search through the indexes. There are a couple of hundred sheets, each with a list of all births, marriages, or deaths in one town in a given year.

I'm thinking of either posting them on a free file server website, or posting them to the Italian Citizenship Message Board, and adding a link here.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Carubia, I was also going to suggest converting to a PDF. You can still search a PDF by holding down Ctrl and pressing "f". A little dialogue box comes up and you type in the name you are looking for. I use this all the time on my PDF documents.
Angela
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The sheet names don't show up when I convert the entire book to a pdf, so you can't tell what years the records are for. Moreover, the sheets are too wide and the column widths are not always wide enough. I would have to do a lot of work to get this into a format where it could be viewed as a pdf where you could see all the information and know what you were looking at. And if that wasn't bad enough, converting to a pdf makes the files 10 times larger, so they'd have to be broken down into much smaller files first.

It will be much easier to just put the Excel files somewhere else and provide a link.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Well, it sounds like you know what you are doing there. All the best with that and I am sure there will be many people appreciative of all your efforts.
Angela:-)