re-connecting with my family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

re-connecting with my family

Postby Kaylie » 18 Jul 2015, 15:15

I have recently re-connected with a family member (Michael Vaccarino )who is several times removed from me. In fact I am first generation Italian-American and he is 5th generation. Our surnames are Vaccarino (Marianna Vaccarino was my maiden name). The first of Michael's ancestors who immigrated from Riposto, (province of Catania was his great-great grandfather Isidoro Vaccarino (DOB 3/14/1886 - DOD(in the US) was 10/1975 - Married to Rosaria Cannizzaro (DOB 1891 - DOD - 8/1986). We know we are cousins many generations removed and are trying to find out where we fit into the puzzle. My grandfather (Isidoro) was the first Vaccarino to immigrate to the US from Riposto. His DOB was July 7, 1877 and DOD March 10, 1947 in the US. His mother's name was Nunzia Lisi and his father was Pasquale. My father Pasquale immigrated to the US in December 1919 with his mother (my grandmother) Marianna Monforte. Michael Vaccarino's family lives in state of Maryland and my family hails from New York. We have established that we are related since we often visited with a great Aunt of his, Frances Vaccarino Caliri. I have all of the above information from passports and other records left behind by my parents and Michael has been researching his side of the family and has come up with his records. Is there any way we can follow up on the information we have a try to find out how we fit into the family? Incidentally, Michael's father Joseph and grandfather Isidoro are still living. His grandfather Isidoro lives in Ellicott City MD. Thanks for any suggestions you might have for us to pursue our quest!!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: re-connecting with my family

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Jul 2015, 17:04

FYI- Do not know if you already have this :-)
I believe this is the father of your grandfather Isidoro Vaccarino, who was born 1877...

Death Act of Pasquale Vaccarino in 1901 in Riposto
Dated 27 September 1901 - died on same day at 6 AM
Pasquale Vaccarino was age 47, a porter residing in Riposto, born in Riposto, son of Isidoro, a porter residing in Riposto; and deceased Giuseppa Liotta.
He was the widower of Nunzia Lisi
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349290001

AND... Mother of Isidoro
Death Act of Nunzia Lisi in 1900
Dated 3 May 1900 - death on 2 May
Nunzia Lisi was age 49, housewife residing in Riposto, born in Giarre, daughter of deceased Salvatore and of deceased Nicolina Caltabiano
Nunzia was the wife of Pasquale Vaccarino

While searching for records to find family connections I found this death act for a sister of Isidoro Vaccarino [b. 1877]...

Maria Vaccarino died 6 November 1906 at age 18. Unmarried daughter of deceased Pasquale and deceased Nunzia Lisi... Record #134

T.

Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kaylie » 18 Jul 2015, 17:58

Thank you for this information. I knew that my great grandfather's name had to be Pasquale because my father was named for him) Pasquale Vaccarino (who died in 1901 was my great grandfather and my great grandmother was Giuseppa Liotta) I only had names of my great grandparents Pasquale and Nunzia) and nothing else and was not aware that my grandfather had a sister. As far as Isidoro Vaccarino (great-great grandfather or Michael Vaccarino - born in March 1886 - you could not find any information on this person? Thank you so much for this information for the information you were able to find. I will add it to my family tree records.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Jul 2015, 19:31

You said in your original post that Pasquale immirated with his mother Marianna Monforte...

Marriage of Isidoro Vaccarino [b. 1877] and Marianna Monforte [b. ~1881]
Dated 5 January 1910 in Riposto
Groom: Isidoro Vaccarino, unmarried, age 32, laborer born and residing in Riposto. Son of deceased Pasquale, and of deceased Nunzia Lisi
WITH
Bride: Marianna Monforte, unmarried, ae 29, housewife born and residing in Riposto, daughter of Salvatore [Monforte] and Giuseppa Conti.
Banns were posted on 19 and 26 December
Witnesses to the record: Salvatore Caliri, 40, shoemaker; Rosario Rodolico, 38, cooper.

FYI**** just wanted to be sure that you noticed the place of birth of Nunzia Lisi in the birth act I posted is GIARRE.

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”